Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Le Cordon Bleu cooking school

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Le Cordon Bleu cooking school
    Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 4:50pm
Not sure if this ad is shown across the nation or not, but I've been seeing this a lot in pretty much every football game that's been on TV this season so far.

The ad features a young guy of Hispanic and/or Pacific Islander descent (not that that's important - just trying to describe the commercial) wearing chef's garb and hawking Le Cordon Bleu cooking school.

I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something about the guy's presentation and mannerisms that annoy me. Something about his overly cheerful, friendly, "cool bro" pseudo-tough-guy demeanor. He strikes me as being one of those guys who likes to dress and act like he's in some kind of gang, but in reality is a nice, friendly guy. Kind of a poser, I guess. Maybe that's what annoys me. I dunno.
That's a bleepin' dead alien body if I ever bleepin' saw one.
Sponsored Links

CubaLibre88 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubaLibre88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 6:37pm
OMG! I know! I think this is like a local commercial but I absolutely hate it! that guy is like the ultimate douchebag .... he seriously thinks he's like the sh*t or something. its so irritating
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 6:46pm
My nephew went to that school a few years ago.  And I agree, that guy is annoying.
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2009 at 7:51pm
He is.
I don't want to be a chef. I don't want to get burned and cut while people yell at me.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 5:37am

I have no interest in being a chef.

Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 6:21am
A large portion, if not nearly all who attend those schools either come out as clueless prep cooks or burn outs. You get many of those graduates and put them on the line at 8 pm on a saturday and they freeze up or f**k up
fishingmachine View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishingmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 1:58pm
i completely understand, i think the part that particularly annoys me is when he says "you can train to be a culinary professional!" it sounds almost like he has a speech impediment or something, not that theres anything wrong with speech impediments but they should not be in commercials.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 2:18pm
Is THIS the ad?
Or, well, maybe this is the one for 'Le Cordon Rouge Cooking School'...

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubaLibre88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2009 at 6:30pm
this isnt the one that i see all the time but at least you get the idea of the ad and the douchebag

msmith View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2009 at 10:27pm
I wonder if there is a class that trains you how to cook and say 'would you like fries with that?' at the same time.
DollMaker66 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DollMaker66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2009 at 10:37pm
YES!!!  I HATE this guy!!!  I totally agree, something about him just rubs me the wrong way...all that head jerking while he's talking and the whole fake chipper/bubbly cool dude persona just gets under my skin for some reason. 

Hubby can't see anything wrong with him, but from the first time I ever SAW this commercial, he just annoyed the hell out of me!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CubaLibre88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 12:24am
he's just to smug
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 1:05am
Originally posted by msmith msmith wrote:

I wonder if there is a class that trains you how to cook and say 'would you like fries with that?' at the same time.
Right.
I think there must be...was just asked that, the other day. 
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
jerkylips View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkylips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

A large portion, if not nearly all who attend those schools either come out as clueless prep cooks or burn outs. You get many of those graduates and put them on the line at 8 pm on a saturday and they freeze up or f**k up

I don't think that's a fair statement - you could say that about just about any profession.  Going to school gives you the basics & prepares you to learn more on the job.  With all of the "celebrity chefs" out there today, I think there are too many people that want to go from level 1 to level 100 in one step - you know, just graduate culinary school & immediately try to open a restaurant or get a job as head chef.  THOSE are the ones that flame out.  There's no substitute for experience.

When I was younger, I was a paramedic.  My instructor used this term all the time--"minimally competent".  He told us that if we did well and graduated, we would be "minimally competent paramedics".  He was right.  My confidence level went from a 10, finishing at the top of my class, to a 1 when I got out on the squads.  The new guys were always paired up with & coached by the most experienced medics, and if not for that I guarantee I would have killed someone.
Thethelia thinkth my thoriathith ith thexthy
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by jerkylips jerkylips wrote:

With all of the "celebrity chefs" out there today, I think there are too many people that want to go from level 1 to level 100 in one step - you know, just graduate culinary school & immediately try to open a restaurant or get a job as head chef.  THOSE are the ones that flame out.  There's no substitute for experience.

Kind of what I was getting at, I was just venting.
Oddy enough I graduated from culinary school, but it was to get some skills as I had been cooking in restaurants for 15 plus years before. It was a small school after I graduated a year later a big corp bought it and now they pump out graduates with little care or experience.
TheDude22 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheDude22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2009 at 11:36pm
I laugh each time I say "Le Cordon Bleu" for some reason. Maybe it's because the name makes no sense.
Me hate Grammar Nazis.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2009 at 2:29am
It means Blue Ribbob. Le Cordon Bleu is an actual french school. It was named for an award bestowed upon an order of knights in the 16th century known for their elaborate feasts.
This was later adopted on the 1800s by a cooking club that wanted to emulate pre revolutionary banquets and wanted to teach housewives how to be good cooks.

Julia Child attended Le Cordon Bleu.

It has since been purchased by some big corporation that pumps out cookie cutter graduates
I_like_coffee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I_like_coffee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2009 at 5:19pm
This smarmy guy with his big, sneering mouth has bothered me since the first time I saw him.

He bothers me almost as much as that Carnival Cruise "spokesman" in their recent commercials. He acts as if he's the next Jack Black or something.
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2009 at 8:06pm
I went to cooking school to learn the classical cuisines.  I too have been cooking for a long time before that and only really wanted to learn more.  Dropping big money only to be put on salads and sides after graduation sucked but yes you do need to earn the spots.  For the record, those chefs on tv dont really impress me much. 

Those commercials lead you to think that the named of the school will be enough to make it.  In other countries you apprentice long and hard before you are even trusted to cook meals.  This is not the case here.
was feeling nostalgic
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2009 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Is THIS the ad?
Or, well, maybe this is the one for 'Le Cordon Rouge Cooking School'...

Now that's a spot that gets your attention!

I believe I've found their course in kitchen etiquette:

(all the bad stuff was bleeped so it should be SFW)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic