Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chase rewards - new dress!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silllyads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chase rewards - new dress!!
    Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 8:31pm
I really really loathe this commercial.

Its the one about the guy who wants to take a trip with his wife and pay for it with the reward points but his wife bought a new dress instead??? I mean just how much was this dress that it was equal to the amount of a vacation. And then the husband gives a smile like it's cool.
Sponsored Links

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 8:56pm
The dress was pretty unflattering, too, I thought. What the f*ck kind of clothing are people wearing these days? Grrrr....

Sincerely,
Fashion Officer Yutolia
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
pcgh View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 4:09pm
She bought a new dress? Is that what this commercial is all about?!

I've seen this ad many times, but it has always been a real head-scratcher for me. The guy keeps suggesting all the trips and other lavish things they could do with their rewards points, but for the life of me I could never figure out why the wife kept getting this panicked look in her eye and insisting "No! We can't take a vacation!"

The little "come over here" invite at the end, and the way they smile and walk offscreen together naturally makes me think they're going to the bedroom to do the hippidy-dippidy, but I still couldn't figure out why that meant they couldn't go on vacation. I kept thinking there was something else I was missing, or was just too dumb to get it.

Buying the dress with the rewards points is the best explanation I've seen so far, but if you could have used the points to go on a cruise or a vacation, then dang that must be one expensive dress!
That's a bleepin' dead alien body if I ever bleepin' saw one.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 5:18pm
Don't the rewards belong to both of them?  Why does the wife think she should get a dress out of it?  And just because the guy's gonna get laid as his "reward" for not objecting, it's supposed to be all OK??  He's married!!  He's supposed to be getting laid!

Or maybe I'm missing something, as all I know of the commercial is what I'm reading here.

Earth56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earth56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2009 at 7:21pm

I just watch it because of the sexuality. Points ? You mean I get more sex by using that credit card and the 29.7 % interest rate ? Hookers are cheaper.

Agent_Sometime View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agent_Sometime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 2:09am
Originally posted by pcgh pcgh wrote:

I've seen this ad many times, but it has always been a real head-scratcher for me. The guy keeps suggesting all the trips and other lavish things they could do with their rewards points, but for the life of me I could never figure out why the wife kept getting this panicked look in her eye and insisting "No! We can't take a vacation!"

Yeah, and then we he explains why they can take a vacation, she says "... I KNOW."

I don't get this commercial.
sickntired View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sickntired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 11:49am
I'm glad I am not the only one who didn't "get" this commercial. 

One good thing about it, though.  The husband is hot. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 12:32pm

Originally posted by Agent_Sometime Agent_Sometime wrote:

Yeah, and then we he explains why they can take a vacation, she says "... I KNOW."

I don't get this commercial.
Didn't see that whimsical look in her eyes?

That look of 'love & gratitude'?

Why, after that Chase 'Reward', she's all dressed up and ready to blow go.

(The commercial needs a couple of bathtubs, or some 'Viva Las ElviMusic' in the background, to be complete) They should let us watch.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
momo View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote momo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 2:38pm
Yeah I didn't get this commercial either...Cause the wife is saying "Oh no we can't take a vacation because we don't have enough." Yet she bought a new dress......Possible failure on the storyboard worker's part?

Either way unless the woman bought that dress for 15 dollars at Ross then she shouldn't be buying stuff like that especially if you want to go on vacation some day >>;. I roll my eyes each time I see the husband perk up at his wife in a the new dress. Ugh.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 2:54pm
I don't care if tht dress says Versace, Armani or whomever - that is one of the fugliest creations I ever saw.

Carol Burnett looked better with the curtain dress in the "Went With The Wind" skit.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 10:15pm
What I took away from this was that the woman is protesting in an insincere way, like when someone wants to buy lunch and you TOTALLY want them to but you protest anyway "Oh no you don't have to do that no no, oh well if you insist"... THAT is what she's doing. She's a stupid woman who wants nothing but new dresses and fancy vacations out of her unsuspecting shmuck of a husband. Please stop pandering Chase, we all know unless you're using the card for your business you sure as hell aren't going to rack up enough points for a vacation.
Agent_Sometime View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agent_Sometime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 10:31pm
Now that I watch it again, I totally get the commercial. Now I feel silly. Perhaps I just couldn't fathom her spending so much on a dress and flaunting it to him after she just used up BOTH of their points on it.

That flimsy dress is equal to the cost of a vacation? Christ. And he smiles? Unless the guy is Donald Trump, if this were anything like real life he would have gone ballistic. Obviously she wasn't planning on telling him since she got all surprised when he suggested a vacation.

You know what's even more disturbing? The tag line is "Chase what matters".
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 11:42pm
What I see is that Hubby doesn't notice the dress until she explains she spent all their rewards on it.
I reckon now she'll want to go out dining to show off her new dress and Hubby could just charge it on the Chase card. She'll need more rewards for matching shoes, ya know. 
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 11:20pm
Funny how we all seem to interpret this commercial differently.....like an inkblot test!

I see it as like the story Gift of the Magi: Wife sells her hair to buy a chain for her husband's watch (or whatever); he sells his watch to buy her beautiful haircombs.

Instead, it's the consumer version: Wife cashes in reward points for fabulous dress. She wears it into the living room, and is about to tell hubby what she got with the reward points....

...but he's so taken by the sight of her in the fabulous dress, he starts having visions of a romantic vacation together where she's on his arm looking oh-so-fabulous the whole time.

This commercial never bothered me. Maybe it's b/c (like sickntired said!) the guy is actually good-looking and not the stereotypical schlubby hubby.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 11:32pm
Yea...what Christine said!
Free dress for 'reward points'... 
The lady is kinda cute and the hubbie should be happy just getting laid.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
RichardCranium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichardCranium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 6:30am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Please stop pandering Chase, we all know unless you're using the card for your business you sure as hell aren't going to rack up enough points for a vacation.

I don't know about vacations as a whole, but we rack up a LOT of air miles just by using our card for everything. The trick is to have direct deposit, and NEVER touch the money in the savings account otherwise you throw it off. We started off by paying our house payment with it every month, and then sending the payment in the same day as we used the card for that. Then we started doing it for everything. You have to be good at math, and you have to keep track of EVERYTHING and most importantly, you can't wait for the statement to arrive before you mail the payment in, but it can be done.

As for this commercial, all I can say is:

Bitch spending all my "points" on a dress that looks like ass + Liquored up RC = Black Eye.
Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by pcgh pcgh wrote:

The little "come over here" invite at the end, and the way they smile and walk offscreen together naturally makes me think they're going to the bedroom to do the hippidy-dippidy, but I still couldn't figure out why that meant they couldn't go on vacation. I kept thinking there was something else I was missing, or was just too dumb to get it.

Buying the dress with the rewards points is the best explanation I've seen so far, but if you could have used the points to go on a cruise or a vacation, then dang that must be one expensive dress!
"Hippidy-dippidy'LOLLOL*SNORT*
FckDominos View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FckDominos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 10:27pm

the husband is ok with it because after the camera is gone he's going to give her a black eye (black taco) and make her take it back.

blue View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 1:30am

Personally, I'm irritated at the implication that she would use shared rewards to buy herself a dress - clearly a very expensive one, since they can no longer afford a vacation!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 1:49am
One would suspect you are not very familiar with the inner-workings of the 'female brain'...
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 3:20am
Dood
I hate dresses....
I want a vacation.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
reed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2009 at 9:16pm
I don't think it is about a dress, but what is under the dress.  I think she had a breast enhancement done and my wife agrees.  Those can equal the cost of a vacation.
erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 9:14am
I think you're reading too much into the commercial there reed. For one I don't think an American commercial would be so bold, and for two, I would think if they were going to be that bold they would focus a little more on the chest area of the woman.

I believe like the rest that she just blew all of their rewards points on a freakin dress that she'll probably only wear once a year.  And holy crap that dress is fugly.
txqueenbee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote txqueenbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 7:25am
Finally, someone else gets it!  I've been telling my husband that no one would suggest that a dress would cost as much as a vacation.  It is extremely subtle, but that's how they can convey the "message" without offending people.
Craftychiq View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craftychiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by txqueenbee txqueenbee wrote:

Finally, someone else gets it!  I've been telling my husband that no one would suggest that a dress would cost as much as a vacation.  It is extremely subtle, but that's how they can convey the "message" without offending people.

Obviously you don't go to those ridiculous "high end" boutiques:
Fashion Police

Did you see how that fugly thing cost $2400? That's at LEAST a 1st class roundtrip plane ticket for two to Europe (and would definitely cover a vacation for me and hubby).

And then there's this one for $3000!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic