Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I'm suffering from Michael Jackson overload

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm suffering from Michael Jackson overload
    Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 7:58pm

I'm sorry for his family, it was a great tragedy because he was so young, I get that he was a huge megastar that greatly influenced music and pop culture as we know it... But what I'm getting tired of is the nonstop news coverage of his death and aftermath. Not so much the fact that he's in the news because he was a high profile celebrity, but it's just the paparazzi-like quality of the coverage and stories that have dominated the headlines for almost a week with no end in sight. Every time I check the news on the internet or TV, I'm bombarded with stories prying into his personal life and that of his family.

Even the airplane crash in the Indian Ocean yesterday has already been relegated to footnote status on page 2, behind the headlines about who is included/excluded in MJ's will. And whatever happened to the recovery operation for that Air France crash? Any new developments, since the 30-day window for finding the black boxes is now officially over? Haven't heard squat about that in almost a week.

Enough already! Let the man rest in peace!
That's a bleepin' dead alien body if I ever bleepin' saw one.
Sponsored Links

meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 8:11pm
It's only going to get worse, with the reports of the children not being biologically his, the will and his wish for Diana Ross to be the guardian, the mother of 2 of them now in the picture, etc...  I hear ya, just wait until the funeral and all of the memorial services.  I watch some of it, but it is overload.  They are probably going to drag this out worse than the Anna Nicole story, which seemed like it would never end.
DolFan 316 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DolFan 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2009 at 8:31pm
I've somehow managed to stay away from all that after the initial 24-hour bombardment, so it can be done. 
My nickname's the assman, because everywhere I go people tell me, "You're an ass, man!"
Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 4:25am
Originally posted by pcgh pcgh wrote:

I'm sorry for his family, it was a great tragedy because he was so young, I get that he was a huge megastar that greatly influenced music and pop culture as we know it... But what I'm getting tired of is the nonstop news coverage of his death and aftermath.

It's not rocket science-----> Change the friggin' channelWink  

Watch local news that only updates daily.  Or read your local paper and skip the stories on MJ.  No one in media cares who's "tired" of this.  It's over when it's over!  Think "Diana"..."JFK Jr"...."Anna Nicole". 
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 5:16am
Even the supermarket was playing all Michael Jackson music yesterday.  I hated it when it was out; I'm not gonna start liking it now.

'Sides I'm not impressed by his influence on pop culture/music.  He didn't influence anything that I cared about or listened to, that's for sure.  As far as I'm concerned, his influence was Bad.

Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 6:21am
First rule of modern media: "When famous talented/misunderstood/f**ked up geniuses/ assholes die, it's news until it's no longer news...and sometimes even longer than that!"
Cornholio View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornholio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 7:19am
I'm happy to see/hear all the Michael Jackson songs again.   For too long the man's musical genius has been passed over because it sold more papers and got more viewers to keep talking that crap about him being a child molester.     
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:15am
You think you've got overload now? I heard on the radio today that there are endless "unreleased" MJ recordings sitting in a vault. More, they say, than all those unreleased songs of Elvis that came out after his death. Many more.

Nice for all you MJ fans, but when I heard that announcement, I just  screamed in disgust.

AARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ConfusedUnhappyAngry
UnhappyDeadDeadDead
ConfusedDead
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 2:43pm
Originally posted by Ad Endless Nauseum Ad Endless Nauseum wrote:

You think you've got overload now? I heard on the radio today that there are endless "unreleased" JM recordings sitting in a vault. More, they say, than all those unreleased songs of Elvis that came out after his death. Many more.

Oh, Christ.

I'm thinking maybe there'll be an album's worth of Michael Jackson covers of old blues classics.  Like maybe this one:

Maybe there'll be more songs about DA Tom Sneddon.  'Cuz ya know, he's "a cold, cold man"

JF546 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF546 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:17pm
The first day it was alright, I mean watching videos on MJ on MTV was great. Now they're just killing it by dragging the whole thing on for days. There's a fine line between memorial and obsession.

People need to move on.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 9:16pm
Michael gave up his pet Chimp, Bubbles, in the 1990's, sending him off to a Florida zoo.  He had been planning to visit the chimp for years.  Finally, he did, and was excited by the prospect of a loving reunion with the primate.  So, finally, the day came and they reunited.  Michael looked in Bubbles' eyes, and Bubbles in his.  Then Bubbles turned to the zookeeper and said..."So, who's the white chick?"
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Irishman Irishman wrote:

First rule of modern media: "When famous talented/misunderstood/f**ked up geniuses/ assholes die, it's news until it's no longer news...and sometimes even longer than that!"

Yeap. Meanwhile, someone like Karl Malden will be lucky to get a paragraph in the last page of the newspaper. But he was "just" an actor.
pcgh View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Originally posted by Irishman Irishman wrote:

Yeap. Meanwhile, someone like Karl Malden will be lucky to get a paragraph in the last page of the newspaper. But he was "just" an actor.

That's really sad, but true. I don't read/watch a lot of news, I just mostly check the headlines once a day or so, then read any articles that grab my interest. That particular day I was kind of busy, but I noticed in the corner of the website they had a list of "most searched terms" for that day. At the top of the list was "Karl Malden." I was like, WTF?, so I clicked on the link and it brought up a bunch of search results on articles about his death. There was no other news link on the actual news page about it. And the lead story that day? Yep, something about MJ's will and the wife of his kids or some shee-yot.

It's not the constant stories about MJ that gets me. He was a big star that died too young, I get that. We went through this with Princess Di, etc. I understand the fact that he was such a big celebrity means he will be in the news for a while. That doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is the quality and nature of the stories being reported - stories about his freakish lifestyle leading up to his death, his association with oddball celebrities and what they have to say about his life and death, who's in and out of his will, the custody battle over his children, etc. If that's all there is to talk about, then just drop it and move on to something else! God knows, there's a lot more urgent things going on in the world right now! 90% of the MJ stories are all paparrazi-like bullsh**t, and I just can't understand why anybody gives a rat's a$$ about any of it. There must be some psychological thing going on here. It's like people have to obsess over how weird someone is in order to make themselves feel better about themselves. It was bad enough when they did all this while he was alive, but kicking him around isn't going to work anymore - he's dead, so you're not going to get a reaction out of him. Meanwhile, a legendary actor like Karl Malden passes away and doesn't generate so much as a blip on the media radar screen. What a crime.

OK, I'm done venting. I guess I just had to get that off my chest.

That's a bleepin' dead alien body if I ever bleepin' saw one.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 8:53pm
Someone probably already mentioned a valt has been opened and they've found enough unpublished MJ work to create albums for years.
Shades of Jimmie Hendrix.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 1:05am
I never gave a rat's ass about him when he was alive. Now upon his death the media is creating a "news" story about what?

WHO CARES!!!!
One man gathers what another man spills
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2009 at 6:25pm
You can always watch the media's frenzy over Palin's announcement.WinkDead
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

I never gave a rat's ass about him when he was alive. Now upon his death the media is creating a "news" story about what?

WHO CARES!!!!
DolFan 316 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DolFan 316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 12:39am
Hey everybody, his televised memorial service is July 7th!!! Get your tickets NOW!!!

(Breaks down sobbing.)
My nickname's the assman, because everywhere I go people tell me, "You're an ass, man!"
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 10:27am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Someone probably already mentioned a valt has been opened and they've found enough unpublished MJ work to create albums for years.
Shades of Jimmie Hendrix.

Yeah, I did Pa, about six posts upthread or so.

The diff is that I myself LIKE Jimmie Hendrix! Cool  I cannot think of one single song or routine I've ever seen of MJ that I liked, or even could stand, whether on his own, or with the Jackson5. Just not, nor ever has been, nor ever will be my style of music.

I seriously considered registering for a ticket to the show, with no intention of going, just to screw things up a little, as my comment on the whole silly exercise.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 7:21pm
There've been no posts on CIH in 3+ hours.  I guess everyone's watching Michael Jackson coverage.  It's on every channel.  I may have to watch My Beauty Bag with Shawn on QVC.

Otherwise so far, Lionel Richie was really good, but Stevie Wonder was awful.

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 7:39pm
I just enjoyed the John Mayer thing.

That's who that was, right?  Guitar?  Human Nature?

Thought it was good.

Oh god, Brooke Shields is crying.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 7:42pm
I guess I missed Mayer.  My computer's upstairs and my backyard's out back, and I was in both of those places for the past 20 minutes.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 7:49pm
I thought Brooke Shields wasn't attending.

I'm glad I have work for a diversion! Plus, we're having wicked thunderstorms so I hope the power is knocked out for a few days and I can dodge the rest of this bullsh*t. Enough already. Plant him and let's move on to the next horror.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 7:51pm
I'm amazed they were able to put this together so quickly.

Brooke made her speech.  Very polished and tear-filled.

Jermaine is singing "Smile"
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2009 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

I thought Brooke Shields wasn't attending.

Plant him and let's move on to the next horror.

Maybe you're thinking of Elizabeth Taylor??

"Plant him and let's move on to the next horror." cracked me up.  LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic