Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Duggars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 2:54am
This is quite an old thread, bumped up I see.  Caught my interest because these inDUHviduals fascinate me.....

The update on the Duggars is that Michelle gave birth recently to a ONE POUND fetus.  The kid, Josie, is still trying to develop normally.    IMO it's high time these nice... but IGNORANT.... people stop letting their Imaginary Friend decide how many kids they'll have and STOP  before SHE dies or a baby dies.  Enough already with these religious CULTS masquerading as "loving families".  Jim Boob and J'chelle are indeed behaving like animals.  We CAN avoid sex during fertile times!  We have ADULT BRAINS.  Unless these brains are WASHED with garbage from "christian leaders" who cherry-pick the bible for their own personal agendas, that is!
  Confused

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:09am
I care nothing about these people, they don't even interest me.

Don't give em publicity they're going to keep making babies if we do. Just let them dry up,wilt and blow away.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:15am
People will do anything nowadays for their own TV show.

Octomom & Balloon Boy Family come to mind.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:17am
I'd rather see the occasional family of 20 kids than the millions of single mothers having kids.  Those women are way more f'ed up than the Duggars.  Plus, they're often way more of a blight on society.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:20am
"The last one nearly died because I'm probably too old but I'm totally gonna keep trying!" - Michelle Duggar

These people make me sick. Just because you chose to abort 1 baby isn't an excuse to populate the world with as many babies as possible.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:24am
The problem with the Duggars is that they are a circus side show.

They have some freakish, outlandish view of the world & what is acceptable.

They're nothing but cheesey publicity hounds.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Virginia Dare View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'd rather see the occasional family of 20 kids than the millions of single mothers having kids.  Those women are way more f'ed up than the Duggars. 

Not up on my bible.  Were The "Virgin Mary" and/or Joseph/God ever married-- all together?   Maybe Mary's been a role model for single Moms all these thousands of years!  Tongue

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:48am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

They are brain-washed Quiverfull Baptists under the "control" of a nut-cake named Bill Gothard.  

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:52am

The Bible refers to Joseph and Mary as being "espoused" (I think in Luke and Matthew).  Even if they weren't, they remained together.  I'm talking more about the sort of people who have a kid together but with no intention of staying together.

I don't understand what you mean by "Joseph/God".  Joseph isn't God.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 3:54am
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

"The last one nearly died because I'm probably too old but I'm totally gonna keep trying!" - Michelle Duggar
 Just because you chose to abort 1 baby isn't an excuse to populate the world with as many babies as possible.

They never aborted a baby.  She was on the pill when they were first married, became preg anyway, and miscarried.   The took this as  a "sign" to stop all birth control.  Then they got sucked into what is clearly a religious cult.

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 4:51am
Originally posted by Virginia Dare Virginia Dare wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

They are brain-washed Quiverfull Baptists under the "control" of a nut-cake named Bill Gothard.  

Yeah, and I hate that guy. He's a total hypocrite, plus he does teach some child rearing methods that are quite abusive and controlling.
I don' t think he has kids yet.

And some single parents do well as parents. My grandmother raised me on her own most of my life for example. I hate that whole "single parents are a blight on society." thing.
No, many single folks are adopting kids, fostering kids, doing all sorts of stuff like that. Do not paint with such a broad brush.
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 5:03am
Yes.  Some single parents do well as parents.  Some.  Generally, though, I don't think voluntary single motherhood is something anyone should be supporting.

Also, I didn't exactly say "single parents are a blight on society".  I said "Plus, they're often way more of a blight on society."  Please quote me correctly if you want to accuse me of painting anything with a broad brush.

Synesthesia View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synesthesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 5:11am
Plus having 20 kids is not so bad if one is independently well to do the way the Duggars are. They don't have any dept, they can support their kids.
it's the folks with 20 kids that can't support them and are pulling their hair out that makes me worry.
I think that 2 family homes that aren't healthy can be worse than single parent homes. Kids need a healthy, nurturing environment for the most part.

Also... the Duggars are so... respectable looking. I wish they had at least a sleeve tattoo or two. Maybe some piercings?
Is this love big enough to watch over me?
Big enough to let go of me
Without hurting me,
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush The Fog
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 5:57am
Mrs. Duggar at least needs to bring her 'do into the 1990s.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 7:54am

Mrs. Duggar at least needs to bring her 'do into the 1990s.

Impossible, Thor - she'd have to get off her back.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Revolennon View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Revolennon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 1:39pm
I watch their show because I find their world views fascinating.  They are so sheltered...I sometimes wonder what will happen if any of the children decide to leave the Duggar bubble and venture out into the real world.  
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Synesthesia Synesthesia wrote:

Plus having 20 kids is not so bad if one is independently well to do the way the Duggars are.

They declared their house a "church" to avoid all taxes on it,  Well to-do?  Not sure on that.  They have a motto "buy used and save the difference".  They're still whoring out their children to make money.  Those children will only see a limited life in which  they are forever trapped  unless they leave the family, for they are  encouraged to stick with,  play with, socialize with and marry only others who share their ideals.  I watch the show because I am fascinated by how impossibly nice they all seem to be.  I bet when the cameras stop rolling Mama brings out the fire and brimstone and Jim-Boob cowers in the corner on "the naughty blanket".    For plenty of great insight and discussion on this TV show,  check out the TWOP (Television Without Pity)  forums. 

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 5:31pm
Sad how, in the modern world, being nice is immediately suspect.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 5:47pm

Sad how, in the modern world, being nice is immediately suspect.

I am discussing the Duggars and their unbelievably naive and  saccharine dispositions.  I actually watch this program weekly.  No one said anything about being "suspect" of nice people in general.

TOPIC:  THE DUGGARS. 

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 6:17pm
Well, in your post, you concluded that the Duggars' niceness can't be anything but "impossible".  And you did so without any evidence that it's phony.  Yeah, I've known the type of people you speak of, but until I have some kind of inkling that it's all a facade, I just take them at face value.

I've seen the show and, at worst, I'd describe their saccharinity as kinda cloying.

No big deal, though.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 7:06pm

Well, in your post, you concluded that the Duggars' niceness can't be anything but "impossible". 

What I actually said was this:   "I watch the show because I am fascinated by how impossibly nice they all seem to be". 

I have yet to come to any "conclusions" about them--just observations and serious suppositions about their squeaky-clean images. 

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
TeamEdward1976 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeamEdward1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 6:24am
Originally posted by PaparaziBrandon PaparaziBrandon wrote:

How big is their house? It's got to be huge to fit that many kids! i don't understand why you would want that many kids anyway and can you imagine their teachers or friends "How many siblings do you have?" "uh...17"

I agree!My mother had nine brothers and sisters(one of her brother's died last year)and she don't see how my grandmother raised all ten of them plus my grandfather!LOLLOLLOLLOL
Julie
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 3:40pm
The house is huge.  There's an upstairs hallway that overlooks the living room, and there's a rope hanging so that the kids can swing like Tarzan from the upstairs down into the living room.

I just read that it's 7,000 square feet, and sits on 20 acres.  It was made from a DIY kit, and they built it themselves.  It's big fer sure, but from the outside, I find it kinda plain.  Even the property looks to be flat and unwooded and unlandscaped.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2010 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by TeamEdward1976 TeamEdward1976 wrote:

I agree!My mother had nine brothers and sisters(one of her brother's died last year)and she don't see how my grandmother raised all ten of them plus my grandfather!LOLLOLLOLLOL

You don't hear of too many families like that anymore.  My mother had 5 siblings, and my father had 7.  Nowadays, we're at approx zero population growth in the US (well, blacks and whites are, anyway) so most of us in the US are just "replacing" ourselves.  If that.

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 1:18pm
Well, they just announced #20 is on the way.....Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic