Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best and Worst PSA's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 9:36pm
Ooh, someone dusted off my old thread, sweet. I used to have the audio of that child abuse PSA on my harddrive, but when the computer crashed I lost my sizable collection of PSA's. It was actually an old campaign from 2002 or 2003, and they brought it back in 2008. There were several ads in that campaign. The other one I remember, which also played on the radio, was a waitress telling someone what the specials on the menu were, and then going, "Oh btw I abuse my kids. I beat them every day, and sometimes I lock them in the closet for hours." Good times *shudder*.

What station is this that you're listening to? Delila doesn't come on here anymore, and I always liked to listen to her. Delila + PSA's = epic win in this weird ad analyzer's book.
Commercials are awesome, except the annoying ones.
Sponsored Links

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2013 at 2:02am
Delilah airs on KAFE 104.1 in Bellingham, WA - sometimes there's local breaks, but most of the time it's a raw feed with the break PSAs intact. Heard a PSA for phishing last night (forgot which campaign but it wasn't NCPC/McGruff) that had a creepy male voice announcer and some dramatic sounding music under.
Ones that are very common in these breaks are PSAs for "trip chaining" and there are :60 and :30 versions I've heard. Also, a few United Way PSAs I cannot find on PSACentral - they talk about the "old way" and then there's "United Way" for daycare, hot meals, etc.

Yes, I also remember that waitress PSA. Used to air in rotation very late at night with the freaky answering machine Childhelp PSA. She would talk about what you said, "oh and by the way I abuse my children"...Last time I heard a Childhelp PSA was circa late 2009 on some sports station, and IIRC it was the answering machine one.

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 7:57pm
New one just heard on said Delilah station's webstream the other night. PSAs are still uncovered from local ads!
Heard a Drug Free PSA where a kid was singing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" and said "have you any E?" No idea what that meant. 
Another one weeks ago was another PDFA ad where a girl was singing his ABC's and screwed up, singing stuff like "LSD" and "GHB" - both substances. Not sure how old these PSAs are, but it's interesting to hear them.
Another one that's common is the old 866-NO-ATTACKS PSAs, mainly the one with a male announcer saying "if you're gonna smoke, you're gonna smoke outside".

-crainbebo
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 3:48pm
Some douchenoozle huffs cigarrettes through her tracheostomy hole. Angry

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 3:53pm

^  She died earlier this year.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 3:56pm

Originally posted by crainbebo crainbebo wrote:

Heard a Drug Free PSA where a kid was singing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" and said "have you any E?" No idea what that meant. 

I'd guess "E" would be for ecstacy...but I thought people called that stuff "X".

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 4:31am
For the first time in years, I heard a Childhelp PSA on Fox Sports Radio the other night. It was the waitress one - she gives "today's specials" and says "oh, and by the way I abuse my children and lock them in the closet for hours" or something like that. Then that woman comes on and talks about child abuse. Haven't heard it since at least 2009!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2014 at 7:14am
Posted this one a few years back - still applies today

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 12:13am
Found out my unidentified phishing PSA - it's for Phishinginfo.org. The PSA says "1 in 6 Americans are victims of identify theft" said by a creepy, low-toned voiced man. 

-crainbebo 
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 5:34am
Dusting off the thread yet again...

Listened to another station (in Iowa, over a webstream) that aired Delilah with all those wonderful PSA breaks still intact. Last night it was just a bunch of crappy ones like "I'm having a stroke" and the Breathe Easies. But tonight I heard a SAMSHA PSA for the first time in months (NOT the bottle breaking/weird music one, but another :30 one mentioning 800-662-HOPE), the phishing ad with the creepy low toned man, and an odd FEMA commercial...? It was a 60 second talk about hurricanes and flood insurance and at the end it said "stay tuned for more emergency information from FEMA." Went right into the :60 trip chaining one. No mention of "This is a public service announcement" or Ad Council at all! I've heard this one a few times on the same show before KAFE covered the PSAs with a rare 70s or 80s song. 
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 11:09am
A group of neighbors and myself have a meeting with FEMA and our local government next week.
I'm hoping everyone uses their indoor voices, I be damned if I let them push me around.  Angry
This ad is saying, be ready for an emergency.
The Federal Emergency Mismanagement Agency will provide help, It may be late and incomplete.
In fact they could determine you do not qualify for assistance at all.
dskyyksd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskyyksd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 2:50am
Here's the one Pee Wee Herman did as punishment for jerking off in the adult movie theater.  I don't think they understood the concept of taking the messenger seriously.

dskyyksd View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dskyyksd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2014 at 2:51am
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 11:03am
I always get a laugh out of this one about the lazy fat kid:

This one must have been effective because it stuck with me all these years:

Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 2:23pm
That last one just made me want to go outside and spark up a "C". 

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 2:57pm
I remember seeing that one from 67 when it was new.
This is the latest we are getting here.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 10:24am
There is a video for this but I could not find it.
I applaud Green Bay and I hope every town and city adopt an ordinance like this.

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 4:48am
This video is a block of vintage commercials taped off VH-1 in early 1992; but look at 18:36 and 22:40. There are many PSAs but I think those two are the most creepiest/disturbing ones of the block. 
The 18:36 one is for World Wildlife Fund and encourages to stop buying ivory. Look at that disturbing shot of an injured near death elephant and a rather creepy injured-elephant noise that lasts through the end of the PSA.
The 22:40 one is Drug-Free America and the theme seems to be "When I Grow Up." It's a dark PSA with light coming out of the window and a drug user dropping unconscious to the ground with his wife (or girlfriend?) screaming in agony. Creepy! PDFA made some wild scary PSAs in the 80s and early 90s. 

-crainbebo
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 7:58am
The one "When I Grow Up," PSA I find the creepiest is the one where the Ballerina is dancing loopily, and then falls down. That freaked me out 20 more times than the one where the woman is beating on the unconscious man's chest.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 2:39am
Here's another mix of PSAs...from late night 1/1/93 (off WEWS-5 Cleveland) 

First clip has a National Institute for Drug Abuse PSA (800-843-4971), and then a SCARY AIDS PSA toward the end. 

Second clip has an American Cancer Society PSA about mammograms, another with the Crash Test Dummies, and two more, AIDS "Ads Against Aids" and Alzheimer's. 

-crainbebo
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:26pm
This is freaking scary ad without being graphic!

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
AdAnalyzer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 3:29am
I have finally, after about 7 years of searching, found the gun safety PSA I've been looking for. Warning: This could possibly be nightmare fuel for some people. It's actually not as bad as I remember. Also, crainbebo, you may want to check out this guy's Youtube channel. He has a whole bunch of radio PSA's. Unfortunately he also has the modern ones, but there are some older ones as well.

I hadn't heard this one before, but I just love this thing, and have to watch it repetitively.

This is just 8 different kinds of messed up.
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 2:47pm
LOL Bwahahahaha! 
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 6:53pm
I have looked at that channel - and it's where I found that stupid Born Learning PSA "Lots of colored cars!" The channel has TV/radio PSAs going back 30-40 years.
BTW I heard a new Radon PSA a few days ago. The announcer asks random people on the street questions about radon, and they are so dumb - they answer false to about every question when it's true.
The same Radon organization released those singing "Green Green Green" PSAs a couple years ago.

If I have time, I should post those PSAs for Americans for the Arts (sorry, I don't have the one with the frantic mother and the kid making noises) as well as a foreclosure prevention PSA with a telephone ringing several times in the ad. (Believe it was from 2008). I see he has the Presentation and Waitress Childhelp PSAs, but not the one that freaked me out: the Answering Machine one.
AdAnalyzer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdAnalyzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 7:25pm
I heard the radon one last night on KLEM. It actually isn't new, as I think I had heard it a few years ago.

I saw he's got the bornlearning one, but I blew right past that one. That ad is annoying. Too bad I don't have the answering machine one anymore. I downloaded the 2008 version from PSA Central, but I have a hard time with their web site now. I guess they only want radio stations to have access to their PSA's, not people who like to analyze them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic