Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sexist ads: Jack-in-the-Box and DirecTV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sexist ads: Jack-in-the-Box and DirecTV
    Posted: 18 May 2009 at 8:01pm
There's a couple of spots that have been airing recently that I find tastelessly sexist. And seeing how I a man, you know they're bad. Confused

1) Jack in the Box smoothies. A middle aged woman is talking about menopause, and how J.I.T.Box fruit smoothies keep her cool and calm.

2)  DirecTV (Satellite TV provider). Adults are at a kids' soccer game. Some (retired?) baseball player is in the commercial, but he's not the main actor. Nolan gripes that he's going to miss a game, when mr. actor show him how he can set his DirecTV DVR over his cell phone. Problem solved! Then, for no apparent reason, the actor slaps a female actress on the butt! *smack*  Shocked

My guess is that they've been getting complaints, but the commercial has only been on a week or two, and they've already edited it a couple of times. Initial edits of this spot show the woman's shocked reaction, her husband glaring at him, and dood's stupid, sheepish, "what did I do?" expression. The latest edit I've seen just "blurs" the scene out immediately after the butt-slap and throws up some text copy on the screen.
Sponsored Links

Yiffy View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2009 at 8:19pm
Very tasteless and disgusting commercials.

.. + .-- .- -. - + -.-. .... .. -.-. -.- . -. + .- -. -.. + -.-. .... .. -.-. .... .. ...

I want chicken and Chi-Chi's
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2009 at 11:58pm
Hm.. as I am no fan of being rude to women, I might assume that most on this site will agree with me that those are  refreshing change from typical male bashing themes that are so prevalent in ads.

Had it been reversed, many on here would cry foul in how the guys are once again being portrayed  as bumbling morons.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 12:19am
The 'Jack in the Crack' commercial was like a bad take-off of the worst scene, from a bad episode of 'Desperate Housewives'.
Direct T.V.? Well, that is Lou Pinella, a former Yankees great and a long-time Major League Baseball manager (these days, the Chicago Cubs ("America's Team") manager), well-known for his temper - he plays his spot exactly as he is - possibly a bit milder. I see this commercial as a simple twist in the same vein as the 'Hellboy in the Boardroom' one. Not too awful.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 12:23am
yeah, that is one of Jack's less clever ads, but I am more amused that some ads that dared to portray a female as something other than a dynamic whiz or having all the answers were actually complained about on here.
Cornholio View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cornholio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 1:17am
Hooray for sexism!!

Finally, something other than the usual sexism we see where the man is a fat, stupid, moron and the wife is a hot know it all!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 2:31am
Actually, I think the one with the menopausal woman is hysterical!
clamshell View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clamshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 2:45am
That JITB commercial's woman looks like an evil woman i used to work with.  
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 4:30am
She reminds me a bit of Jeri Hall (Mick Jagger's ex).  I kinda liked it.

I see Jack-in-the-Box also brought back the stoner dude.  He's older, more clean-cut looking, and just not as good this time.

ToxicShock View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToxicShock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

Hm.. as I am no fan of being rude to women, I might assume that most on this site will agree with me that those are refreshing change from typical male bashing themes that are so prevalent in ads.

Had it been reversed, many on here would cry foul in how the guys are once again being portrayed  as bumbling morons.

There's a difference between someone being sexually harassed versus someone looking like a bumbling moron. For example, the Quiznos "put it in me" ad is quite sexual and inappropriate, but the 'star' is actually a male. It's would be just as inappropriate if the 'star' was female.

I do not support the ads that make men look like idiots any more than I would support a sexist ad against a woman. Though to be fair, sexual harassment is on a completely different level of disrespect.

Unfortunately, women still are not on an equal level with men, so until society changes it's views on gender, sexist ads will continue. I don't find these ads "refreshing" at all. Sexism goes both ways, and it's absurd to single out any gender - male or female.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by ToxicShock ToxicShock wrote:

Hm.. as I am no fan of being rude to women, I might assume that most on this site will agree with me that those are refreshing change from typical male bashing themes that are so prevalent in ads.

There's a difference between someone being sexually harassed versus someone looking like a bumbling moron. For example, the Quiznos "put it in me" ad is quite sexual and inappropriate, but the 'star' is actually a male. It's would be just as inappropriate if the 'star' was female.

I do not support the ads that make men look like idiots any more than I would support a sexist ad against a woman. Though to be fair, sexual harassment is on a completely different level of disrespect.

Unfortunately, women still are not on an equal level with men, so until society changes it's views on gender, sexist ads will continue. I don't find these ads "refreshing" at all. Sexism goes both ways, and it's absurd to single out any gender - male or female.

Well said, ToxicShock.Clap
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2009 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by ToxicShock ToxicShock wrote:

Sexism goes both ways, and it's absurd to single out any gender - male or female.

I totally agree!Clap
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:17am
Well I suppose I am now forced to back pedal since the word "refreshing" seems to have caused offense.

The ads in question, especially the directv one really is something that has to taken in its context.

I think there is a "backstory" on the star of the ad's general persona, and the whole practice of swatting backsides in sports.
I personally think it was referring more to the awkwardness of that practice, but since it is so common and now almost acceptable for male coaches/athletes to swat an ass, it now comes off as awkward and weird to so a coach swat on a woman.

But yes sexism does go both ways, but at times portrayals of negative characteristics are not always in of themself "negative".
If anything it is a highlight to some our cultural absurdities and accepted norms.
Such as men swatting one another in sports.

Anyway I don't find these ads sexist. They are just silly and no ones expense. There are plenty of blatantly sexist ads out there.
ToxicShock View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToxicShock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 3:32am
I don't think anyone was "offended" by your use of the word "refreshing", but I appreciate you coming back to explain.

I don't know about you, but swatting someone's ass (male on male, male on female, female on female, etc.) could be construed as sexual harassment. I know I don't want anyone swatting my ass without my consent; out of respect for me, my rights, and my body.

Perhaps the sports ad wasn't "sexist", but it was definitely awkward that much I can agree upon.
jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 5:59am
yeah any swat to my ass or any part of me, simply me being struck in any way might alarm me a bit.
Not a fan of swift movement against my non moving body.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:22pm

...I think there is a "backstory" on the star of the ad's general persona, and the whole practice of swatting backsides in sports.
I personally think it was referring more to the awkwardness of that practice, but since it is so common and now almost acceptable for male coaches/athletes to swat an ass, it now comes off as awkward and weird to so a coach swat on a woman...
Agreed.
This practice - similar to swatting a horse on the rear, to make it hustle, it has been around forever - doesn't mean we have to continue to propagate the practice, except maybe for the horse.
I've never liked it - always has given me awkward feelings; sometimes makes me wonder it the 'swatter' is really a sexually frustrated pedophile (especially if he's swatting every rear in sight, during the game or the cub scout camp-out). So, yes - that part of the DTV commercial? Brings on that same ol' feeling; I could do without it.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
kuribo View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuribo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 4:47pm
I like to think that the reason the big guy in the blue behind the woman at the end has such an angry look on his face is because orange shirt guy just smacked his wife on the ass. He's about to catch a whoopin.

but seriously, who smacks strangers on the butt?
Robots may strike at any time, and when they grab you with those metal claws, you can't break free. Because they're made of metal. And robots are strong.
dizzytaylor View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dizzytaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 8:15am
"Jack in the Box smoothies. A middle aged woman is talking about menopause, and how J.I.T.Box fruit smoothies keep her cool and calm."
OK, I'm going out on a limb here.  The woman in the J.I.T. Box fruit smoothie commercial is not so much an example of a sexist commercial as it is an ageist one.  Well, it is sexist in as much as the reference to hormone levels and being prone to violent actions. 

I like the commercial on one level and dislike it on another.  I like the humorous approach to menopause commercials, which are prevalent and about as attractive as condom commercials.  What I don't enjoy is that it's put out there like: here's another reason to avoid and ridicule women past the age of 45!   After all, she has a shiny, sharp garden implement in her hand, and she's liable to use it!

Come on, is making fun of menopausal women going to sell fruit smoothies?  It's the same logic as making a commercial about "little people" will sell mini-sirloin burgers. 

I don't know, I guess I expected more from the folks at J.I.T. Box.  Dumb, huh?  Ouch
:-|
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 6:29pm
DirecTV got rid of the Piniella one and now has one with a character of the newer Planet Of The Apes movie.  HUMANS ARE SMARTER THAN APES!!!
pinniped View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinniped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 1:10am
This commercial is as stupid as Jack's big head.

SO I GO ON VEHIX.COM!....GOT A CAR TO SELL!....BUYING A CAR IS HARD!
Wayne Rooney View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Rooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 2:30am
There are some funny ads in the world.  I don't find these types to be funny - or clever or even particularly memorable.  The concept seems cheap and lazy to me, and that is about the best I can say about it.... The fact is that not many people are good at comedy.  In this case, some very untalented ad writers have tried their hand at comedy, and like many failed attempts, managed to come up with something tasteless, offensive, stupid and very far from amusing.    Why don't they screen this crap with audiences before subjecting potential customers to it???    It really is pathetic that they churn out this garbage.
promontorium View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote promontorium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 9:35am

I don't believe you people even have senses of humor. The Direct TV ad was in line with a series of Direct TV ads where a person forgets they're talking to imaginary characters, then do something embarrassing. IF you knew anything about sports (which apparently none of you do, which makes me wonder what planet you're from) smacking a fellow athlete on the butt is commonly called a "good game". He thought he was going to smack the baseball player on the butt. The fact that you only take offense when the butt becomes a women’s is actually YOU being sexist.

I'm not saying those commercials were comedic gold, I find them annoying, but you people don't seem to even recognize why it is supposed to be funny. Ok, if none of you are American, I'll apologize, but then you all need to leave this website because the nuances of most American commercials will ever elude you, and you can't "hate" what you don't even comprehend.

And for Jack in the Box. They can do no wrong.

I love commercials, for the most part.
Wayne Rooney View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Rooney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 3:23am
Originally posted by promontorium promontorium wrote:

I don't believe you people even have senses of humor. The Direct TV ad was in line with a series of Direct TV ads where a person forgets they're talking to imaginary characters, then do something embarrassing. IF you knew anything about sports (which apparently none of you do, which makes me wonder what planet you're from) smacking a fellow athlete on the butt is commonly called a "good game". He thought he was going to smack the baseball player on the butt. The fact that you only take offense when the butt becomes a women’s is actually YOU being sexist.

I'm not saying those commercials were comedic gold, I find them annoying, but you people don't seem to even recognize why it is supposed to be funny. Ok, if none of you are American, I'll apologize, but then you all need to leave this website because the nuances of most American commercials will ever elude you, and you can't "hate" what you don't even comprehend.

And for Jack in the Box. They can do no wrong.

I am sure you will love it if someone here gets into a bickerfest with you.  I don't intend to... just want to say that your post is embarassing.  Attacking people and bizarrely bringing nationality into it and getting that worked up over differing opinions about commercials is pretty pathetic, my little friend    Seriously, you need to chill... If you disagree, calmly explain your point of view.  Whining that no one has a sense of humor and lecturing about how we all suck and we can't understand and will never understand...  just makes you look like an ass. 

erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2009 at 10:39am
The DIRECTV guy isn't just randomly smacking the woman on the butt for no reason.  He's talking to (an imaginary) Lou Piniella, a very successful major league baseball manager, and goes to smack HIM on the butt, but in reality he's standing next to a soccer mom and that's who gets the smack, bringing him back to reality and earning a stern look from what we assume to be is her husband.  I actually thought the commercial was kind of funny.

As for the Jack in the Box commercial, it's obviously sarcastic, not seriously trying to say that all women going through menopause act like this crazy woman, so I don't see how it's sexist either.  I will agree with promontorium that most Jack in the Box commercials are funny, but the two new jingles for the mini sirloin burgers and mini buffalo ranch chicken sandwiches both are annoying as hell and need to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic