Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turtle Wax Ice Wash and Polish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turtle Wax Ice Wash and Polish
    Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 11:15pm
Here's my review of the Turtle Wax Ice products!

My car's seals aren't the greatest, so I can't take it through a car wash without some water getting inside. That being said, I've grown to enjoy washing my car in the driveway. This season I decided to try something new to wash and polish my car. I used to use NuFinish, but it left nasty streaks on my plastic parts. I came across Turtle Wax Ice products which are clear and promise no streaking. I figured I'd give it a try.

The wash solution was good, even though it was hot it didn't leave film. I hate that you have to buy it in huge 64 oz bottles, when you only need an ounce per gallon. I'll have this stuff for years to come.

The polish was great. It's a clear oily liquid that comes with a microfiber towel and a little soft pad to apply it with. You put a thin layer on then wipe off to a shine. It was easy to use and didn't leave any streaks or crap, even in the sun. I liked that I could use it on my black plastic bottom parts and shine them up nicely too. I'm a novice when it comes to polishing and what not, so I like easy to use, idiot proof products like this.

Price is a little steep, the wash was about 6 bucks at walmart, and the polish with towel and applicator was 15. Both of which will last me tons of washes. Considering most drive throughs charge 7 dollars for an economy wash, It's better to get stuff and do it yourself.

I'd still like to get my car detailed professionally, since whoever had it last (previous owner had it in California) did something wrong. It's had huge water spots all over the hood ever since I bought it. Nothing I've ever used has helped with those, and this is no exception. They have a clay bar liquid thing in the Ice line, but it might be a little too advanced for me. Still, I'd highly recommend it.
Sponsored Links

shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 12:09am
In the same vein, Meguiar's is THE best line of products I have ever had the privilege of using.
http://www.meguiars.com/rx/rx_main.cfm
This interactive questionnaire works great.
(am I having a deja vu moment here??)

I have been using it on my new car and so far the car care stuff I used is amazing.
I have a short list of other stuff from them that I want as well.

see below Thumbs%20Up
was feeling nostalgic
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 1:41am
I've heard lots of good things about Meguiar's. I think once I graduate to using a clay bar, I'll use some of their products.  Here's mine from today:
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 1:59am
Very nice car, I looked at those when they first came out.

maguire's also makes a clay bar in varying grits.
Try their insane tire shine spray. 
The tires look wet for weeks without spinning off onto the paint.
was feeling nostalgic
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 4:58pm
The real test came today when it decided to rain. My car was covered in beautiful beads Thumbs%20Up
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

The real test came today when it decided to rain. My car was covered in beautiful beads Thumbs%20Up

Isn't water beading on your vehicle a bad thing? Supposedly, the sun will evaporate the beads leaving spots. The newest thing is water sheeting off the vehicle.
Or is all this just rubbish........Confused 
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Isn't water beading on your vehicle a bad thing? Supposedly, the sun will evaporate the beads leaving spots. The newest thing is water sheeting off the vehicle.
Or is all this just rubbish........Confused 

I'm not sure, I was always told beading was a good thing. It's probably bad when it's a quick rain storm and then the sun comes out and bakes the beads on. Luckily it's still crummy outside.
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 11:55pm
sheeting action was stolen from Cascade dish washing liquid.

If the surface is hydro-phobic it will repel water regardless.
I suppose if the car has some flat lines, it could trap water droplets.
was feeling nostalgic
Prometheus View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prometheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2009 at 12:06pm
If it is "beading" on nearly-vertical surfaces, it is not repelling water...."Sheeting" is the best action, as water cannot stick. Beads of water in the sunlight actually act like magnifying lenses and accelerate oxidization. Water should run off from any surface at  a 45-degree angle almost right away....An ideal wax should make water run off your hood at any decline of 1 degree or more, at the least.

Simply-put, the right wax should let you wash your car, and there should be no reason to dry it after a rinse, because it already will be. If you have to wipe your car dry after a wash, your wax is not good enough.

Best way to test a wax:
Wax your windshield with it, and drive during a torrential downpour. If you have to use your wipers at all, it's not good enough to be termed "elite".

A wax I fell in live with was called "Liquid Lustre". Although I didn't use it on painted surfaces, I used it on glass, and even in a downpour that even Hawaii would call "torrential", I didn't even need to turn my wipers on at any speed. Rain-X has nothing on that wax. I actually saw better by NOT using the wipers. If you were there for it, you would not believe the results.
Immune to all forms of marketing since 1976!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2009 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Prometheus Prometheus wrote:

If it is "beading" on nearly-vertical surfaces, it is not repelling water...."Sheeting" is the best action, as water cannot stick. Beads of water in the sunlight actually act like magnifying lenses and accelerate oxidization. Water should run off from any surface at  a 45-degree angle almost right away....An ideal wax should make water run off your hood at any decline of 1 degree or more, at the least.

Simply-put, the right wax should let you wash your car, and there should be no reason to dry it after a rinse, because it already will be. If you have to wipe your car dry after a wash, your wax is not good enough.

Best way to test a wax:
Wax your windshield with it, and drive during a torrential downpour. If you have to use your wipers at all, it's not good enough to be termed "elite".

A wax I fell in live with was called "Liquid Lustre". Although I didn't use it on painted surfaces, I used it on glass, and even in a downpour that even Hawaii would call "torrential", I didn't even need to turn my wipers on at any speed. Rain-X has nothing on that wax. I actually saw better by NOT using the wipers. If you were there for it, you would not believe the results.

I've heard that too, about the beading thing.

.....and RainX is the worst thing to put on your windwsheild.  Because it beads the water after the wiper goes by, so you still can't see.  I agree, sheeting is what you want, especially on a windsheild.

sherrah012 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherrah012 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 11:25pm
I love your car!  It's adorable :)

I'm a fan of Turtle Wax stuff in general. (I can't take my car through a car wash neither, because the high pressure chips off my paint)  They have an interior cleaner that I'm loving right now... it has a little built in scrubber, and it's wonderful for getting spots off seats and stuff.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2009 at 2:20am
that's one cute car! (hate the color though...)

But really, Meguiar's line of car products are great, and they couldnt match other car care products, and what's nice about it is that it's great for some parts like its rims, bumpers and mirror...
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 12:09am
Originally posted by hybridcolors hybridcolors wrote:

that's one cute car! (hate the color though...)

::eye twitching:: you did NOT just say that....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic