Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

iPhone - "there's an app for that"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pcgh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iPhone - "there's an app for that"
    Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 1:44am
I don't own an iPhone, so maybe I just can't appreciate the idea that there's an "app" for everything you could possibly need to do. I'm just getting tired of seeing those commercials where they describe a series of hypothetical situations, then declare "there's an app for that"

Need directions to the nearest sushi restaurant? There's an app for that.

What if you need to find out if that bird you're looking at is a red-bellied warbler (or whatever) - there's an app for that.

Suppose you need to know where you're heading - there's an app for that (OK, the compass app does look pretty cool, and I'm curious about how it works)

Maybe you're having trouble distinguishing your ass from a hole in the ground - there's an app for that.

That's a bleepin' dead alien body if I ever bleepin' saw one.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 1:48am
LOL THANK YOU!
That commercial has been driving me nuts for a while...it's the perfect APP for that.

And I need an APP for an iPhone. Is there one for that?
And I need an APP for a sledgehammer. Is there one for THAT?
I will not need one for what happens next...

Then I will need to get an APP for a frontal lobotomy.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 3:14am
My son has an iPhone.  He called me the other day and was so happy.  He was able to get an APP that allowed him to listen to the live broadcast of our local radio Reds games.  He lives in SF and missed that pleasure for the last several years.   As bad as the Reds have been, he is truly a die-hard fan.
keyboardplayer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keyboardplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 3:32am
I need to fix my TV because I just threw it against the wall. Is there an app for that?
This is your brain on commercials.
BDrums1971 View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDrums1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 3:48am
You know, I haven't seen this commercial for a while, but it WAS really annoying. I have always hated the quirky music behind the apple commercials. Plus, do these guys think they're cool by saying APP as opposed to application. Oh, I know...that's the way all the kidz would say it. That's just Apple trying to be hip and cool.

How about an app (man I feel cool and hip saying that word) that shuts off stupid commercials when they come on my tv. Huh? HUH? H U H???
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 4:09am
Somebody should write an infectious viral app that turns off an iPhone if it's in motion.  Or have it repeatedly scream "Eyes on the road and hands on the wheel, you #@%&!!!"
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 8:54am
I have a Iphone and I love it.  I do not have many apps, because I only grab ones that I will or do need.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 12:37pm
...next thing we'll see is an APP for CIH...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 5:05pm
I also have an iPhone and love it. But I don't love this commercial. And I really f*cking hate the word app. Some of the APPLICATIONS are useful and pretty cool, but some of the stuff available just seems to me like proof that some people just don't want to have to think about anything.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Moochamoocha View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by keyboardplayer keyboardplayer wrote:

I need to fix my TV because I just threw it against the wall. Is there an app for that?

LOLLOLLOLLOL

I need to take my cat to the vet. Is there an app for that?

I need to find out what the hell is wrong with my boyfriend. Is there an app for that?

My sister needs a job. Is there an app for that?

I wish I had a million dollars. Is there an app for that?

I want Guy in Boston's skanky li'l fianceè to disappear from the face of the earth. There'd better be an app for that!

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 9:37pm
Wasting time on a needless thing filled with the most needless junk?

There's an App for that.LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 9:41pm
Dude. How about Guy from Boston disappearing from your brain! Is there an app for that?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

Dude. How about Guy from Boston disappearing from your brain! Is there an app for that?
yyyyeaaaaa, Nathan...but - CIH - when do we get an APP for that?
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2009 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

Sadly, short of death or a lobotomy, there isn't an app for that. CryCry
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 1:45am
Think like Nathan.

Suspend him.  For life.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2009 at 12:13pm
I've got an iPod Touch 16GB, and I love it. Basically, it is an iPhone without the phone, and half the thickness and no microphone. I've got three screens of apps so far, mostly free. The compass app probably only works with the iPhone in GPS mode.

The radio app is one I'd be careful with, where listening to a baseball game was mentioned. If the son can force his iPhone to download the stream from a local WiFi hotspot, that is fine. But if he is out of range, it uses the regular cell phone circuit to download the game's audio. Seems to me that could get expensive fast, unless the phone contract was written for unlimited minutes and free roaming. I can do that app too, but only via the mentioned WiFi.

Right now, among other things, I've got the entire 4th season of Galactica. Looks great, but needs headphones for the audio, as the built in speaker is quite humble, to put it nicely.

Jeez, I just reread my remarks, and I sound like an Apple ad! Confused This is the first Apple product I've ever owned. Not meant to be, but I do like my Pod.

And I agree, I hate those silly ads. I despised the original iPhone ads, with that really awful guitar strumming noise.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
belc0011 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belc0011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 3:59am
So glad to see there's a thread about this one - the "there's an app for that" has driven me nuts since the first time I heard it.  My hubby said it didn't bother him, so I was starting to think it was just me....
Bring me the head of a pig, and a goblet of something cool and refreshing
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moochamoocha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 4:33pm
Pretty soon, these "phones" will have everything in it and do it all except the one thing it was made for - making a call! Whatever happened to just having a plain phone?
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Pretty soon, these "phones" will have everything in it and do it all except the one thing it was made for - making a call! Whatever happened to just having a plain phone?

Seriously whatever happened to a phone that was just a phone?
Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by DirtyD79 DirtyD79 wrote:

Originally posted by Moochamoocha Moochamoocha wrote:

Seriously whatever happened to a phone that was just a phone?
There's an APP for that. It's on your wall, or on your desk...
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 11:56pm
Wasting time on a needless hand held machine?

there's an app for that

Need to find an out of the way quiet place to bury that body that stinking up your trunk?

there's an app for that

How about where you can find the latest peanut butter and jellyfish sandwich?

There's an app for that.

Need a special shaver to shave in those hard to reach places?

there's an app for that

Need to find the closest bathroom or God forbid closest port-o-potty?

There's an app for that

How about that place where you can ditch that incriminating car?

there's an app for that.

LOL

One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 12:22am
I hate the word APP, too.  Especially when the Applebee's commercial uses that word to mean appetizer.

And did you hear the uproar about the app that Apple (whoa, now I see a connection) had to have the app maker remove?  It was a "game:"  a picture of a baby crying, with the noise of the baby crying.  When you shake the phone, the baby's eyes turn into red Xs:  shaken baby syndrome.  Sick.
belc0011 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belc0011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

I hate the word APP, too.  Especially when the Applebee's commercial uses that word to mean appetizer.

And did you hear the uproar about the app that Apple (whoa, now I see a connection) had to have the app maker remove?  It was a "game:"  a picture of a baby crying, with the noise of the baby crying.  When you shake the phone, the baby's eyes turn into red Xs:  shaken baby syndrome.  Sick.

ShockedShockedShocked Seriously?????
Bring me the head of a pig, and a goblet of something cool and refreshing
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by belc0011 belc0011 wrote:

Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

ShockedShockedShocked Seriously?????
uhhhhhh...yes. Look for 'Popular News' on FOX TECH, or CNN TECH. This one is awfully sick and I was HOPING it wouldn't rear its ugly head...I have NOTHING but support for Faith's comments and decision to point this one out.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 6:32pm
http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-opdic2412688862apr24,0,1424475.story

There's a link for you, belc0011.  It's written by a journalist who happens to be the mother of a child who was shaken as a baby and is brain-damaged as a result.  She even talks about how this differs from the usual PC crowd's uproars.

And thank you, Pa.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic