Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Friggin' Amazin' Findings!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2015 at 7:20pm
I remember them, but I can't really remember the house they were in. The house did have exposed wires in the attic, though, on ceramic insulators.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 12:53am
SmileSometimes good news is good for anyone who will listen and try - especially if it's new for them.
Today? It's the results from a controlled study of folks living on a Mediterrainian Diet for a period of time. Been all over the news.
We've been huge fans of olive oil, fish, nuts, cous cous, fruits & veggies forever...but to now hear they're pushing 'science fact'? So great!
Worth taking to heart - such great and easy eating that any family can enjoy...but the health benefits? 
  brain-boost-mediterranean-diet-may-fend-off-memory-loss
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2015 at 7:04pm
Holy crap!  A goggle search doesn't work for OT.

This is worth a look, people.
It reminds me of reading an oscilloscope in the TV repair class I took. 

'Nothing Else Matters' from inside the guitar.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 5:42am
Quote We've been huge fans of olive oil (...)

Make sure it's the real thing, and not that cheap garbage being peddled.  I read a book on the olive oil industry. It says most o-o is blended with cheaper/lower quality oils (some not even olive.)
I switched to California Olive Ranch (I stock up on it when I find it on sale) & it's the best ever.  I wouldn't make garlic spaghetti without it.  The last of the Bertoli is being used for oiling the bread machine bearings...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 11:16am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Make sure it's the real thing, and not that cheap garbage being peddled.  I read a book on the olive oil industry. It says most o-o is blended with cheaper/lower quality oils (some not even olive.)

How can they legally do that?   I've seen the blends, and they're clearly marked as blends.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Holy crap!  A goggle search doesn't work for OT.

This is worth a look, people.

It reminds me of reading an oscilloscope in the TV repair class I took. 

'Nothing Else Matters' from inside the guitar.

Sorry akaron, but I found this while watching yours...

Some kind of visual special effect app on the iPhone they were using maybe?

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:46pm

I'm not surprised, Jimbo.

It doesn't look like a natural movement.
i8acannibal View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 12:58pm
I thought it was a high speed camera. Then again, I was distracted in the beginning so I don't know if I missed anything. 
Say something clever here...

No, I'm too lazy. Imagine it yourself.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I caught this before it fell off of the second page, for those like myself who like history.
Check out my new computer...

ClapA single instruction processor! CryI worked on two of the Burroughs-wire-patch versions of that machine.
Computer Services, Inc. CEO Steven Powless stands at the company’s headquarters in Paducah showing how far computer technology has come, holding his iPhone beside CSI’s first computer, the Burroughs B300, which cost $321,400 when it was installed in 1965 with 9,600 bytes of memory. By comparison, the iPhone has up to 8 gigabytes of memory, or 8 billion bytes, and costs a couple hundred dollars. ADAM SHULL | The Sun
That is not me (that guy is probably dead by now - I know the B300 computer is - one of my first computers I was blessed to meet...)

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2015 at 6:38pm
I bet you there is still one small town bank that still runs one of those....Evil Smile

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 5:26am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

How can they legally do that?   I've seen the blends, and they're clearly marked as blends.

It's a bigger problem in Europe.  The book is "Extra Virginity" by Tom Mueller (you can probably find it in a library.)  It's a nice eye-opener on the industry.
  Thought about growing a couple of olive trees myself, but I don't have space in the yard (barely found room for a coconut palm I'm trying to sprout.  Fingers crossed on that one.)
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 12:13am
Good a place as any to put this I guess. Pretty cute.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 2:08am
WinkTHAT was worth every second, TizzerThumbs Up
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 8:47pm
Damn near free Energizer batteries.

I've seen this deal in other stores this time of year for a few years, but today's deal was at Meijer. 

If you buy 2 8-packs of AA or AAA batteries, there's a little code on a little card inside each pack. Log on, enter 2 codes, and get 8 bucks sent to your paypal. (Or you can opt for a paper check via snail mail)

So Meijer has a deal this week where if you buy $20 worth of Energizer, you get $5 off your next trip. They also have a digital coupon for $.55 off one pack. There were two $1.00/one coupons in the paper.

So, bought 4 packs at $6.39 each, or $25.56. Got my $5 catalina for my next trip (now $20.56 for the batteries). Take off the $2.55 in coupons = $18.01. Fill out my little codes online and get my $16.00 in my paypal, and it's $2.01 for the batteries. Divide by 4 and the $6.39 packs of batteries cost $.50 each.

Wink

This is the third year I've done this, so I can say with all certainty that it's on the level. You're allowed to get up to 4 rebates per household (8 packs of batteries) and it's just about enough batteries to last Casa de Hillbilly all year.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 9:07pm
^  Makes me wish I needed batteries.  Can't remember the last time I put batteries in anything.  Not even sure I remember how.

But that reminded me of the time I got a coupon for Corn Flakes.  I went to a store where it was on sale and which doubled coupons, so my Corn Flakes came out to something like -55 cents.  That was like 25 or 30 years ago.  Good times.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 9:30pm
That is a classic video.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 12:48pm
I'd walk a mile for that vertical smile.

Did you know that eating a girl’s private organ could save you from fatal diseases such as cancer and heart disease?

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote i8acannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 2:13pm
Well, I guess that I'm safe from those... I knew that I had to thank the wife and her girlfriends for something. Maybe I'll live forever, because that's one meal that I'll never turn down... Nice pic on that page though. 

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

Good a place as any to put this I guess. Pretty cute.

First time I've seen this video.

Something similar happened to me a long time ago. Probably around '85 or '86.

I was driving behind a semi on an expressway entrance ramp when suddenly a little gray blur came shooting across the road. It shot right under the back of the semi trailer from the left and ran head first into the inside of the right rear tire, bounced off and spun around a couple of times then just sat there kind of hunkered down in the middle of the road kind of dazed and not moving.

I stopped my car in the middle of the ramp, put my flashers on then jumped out and scooped him up. The people behind me could see why I stopped and nobody leaned on their horns or got impatient in any way.

I brought the poor little thing home with me even though I wasn't allowed to have pets in my apartment. He ran in the bathroom and hid behind the door. When I'd pick him up and pet him, he just sat there stiff and unresponding like he was either traumatized or he was just feral. Got him some food and water but he barely touched it.

Kept him for a couple of days, but I had to end up taking him to the Humane Society because I couldn't keep him.

I always wondered what happened to him.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 6:17pm
I've been able to do that for dogs.  A few years back, I (and the little terrier) was lucky enough to have other drivers see us, and they all came to a halt.  People got out of their cars to help.

As far as the dog was concerned, I was his buzzkill.  He was having a great old time on his excellent adventure out in the road.  In fact, when I pulled him out from under the car where another guy and I were able to trap him, the little bastard bit me.  LOL

Another time, it was a pit bull in a very busy intersection.  I had two other guys help.  It was a chance, but the dog was a real sweetheart.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 7:02pm
Re-reading my above post, I see I failed to clarify that it was a kitten. A very young one, too. Probably no older than 4 to 6 weeks. A little smaller even than the one in Tiz's video.

I hope somebody adopted it and gave it a good home.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 7:46pm
At that age, any "feral" would've left him within a few days.  My Rocco was feral.  I got him when he was 6-8 weeks old.

In fact, when I got him and Capone, I Googled feral cats, and found a timeline on how long one could expect ferals of various ages to remain feral.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:19pm
To be out running around near a four lane, divided highway at that age to begin with is what really made me figure he was feral.

I don't know if it was the trauma or the ferelity, but when I'd pick him up and pet him, he'd just sit there siff and unresponsive. Barely ate. Just hid behind the door in the bathroom.

I wish I could've kept him.

A few years later, I found an adult female cat that I took over to my folk's house. They wound up keeping her. Unbeknownst to us all, she was already pregnant when I found her.

She had about 3 or 4 kittens which my sister took all of.

They all lived out the rest of their natural lives, mom with my folks and kids with my sister & bil.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2016 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by i8acannibal i8acannibal wrote:

Well, I guess that I'm safe from those... I knew that I had to thank the wife and her girlfriends for something. Maybe I'll live forever, because that's one meal that I'll never turn down... Nice pic on that page though. 
LOLLOL
The subject changes fast!
Some folks just don't understand!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2016 at 8:07pm
You know you are having a bad day when a bomb goes off on the plane you happen to be riding in.

One person was sucked out of the plane, hopefully it was the terrorist.

Somali plane hit by bomb, meant to kill all on board: minister

https://www.yahoo.com/news/somalia-says-bomb-caused-plane-blast-153618113.html

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
  Share Topic