Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow ribbons on luggage.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow ribbons on luggage.
    Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 12:04am
OK, so you probably aren't going to believe me or think I have delusions of grandeur, but I am the one that started the yellow ribbon on the luggage thing.

When I first started traveling to my in-laws on the west coast in the late 90's, I spent a lot of time at baggage carousels.  Listening to the "lots of bags look alike, make sure you have your own bag" etc. etc.

I never saw any identifying mark on any of the bags that you could tell them apart, ever.
They were all the same looking black bags.

So one day on the trip back from my in-laws, after seeing 50 different, nearly identical, black rolling suitcases on the carousel on the way there, I got an idea.  My mother in-law does a lot of crafts and she had lots of excess cloth and ribbon hanging around all over the place.
So I thought,  I'm going to take some of this yellow ribbon and put it on all of the handles of our suitcases, so that I can easily and quickly pick out our bags from the rest of the myriad of same looking black bags on the carousel.

With each consecutive trip back and forth after that, I started noticing other bags that also had yellow ribbons tied to their handles.

Now it seems that everyone puts yellow ribbons on their bags.
This to me is utterly stupid.  If someone else is putting yellow ribbons on their bag, you would think that you want want to use another type of marking, such as, oh I don't know, maybe a blue, or a red ribbon.

It's just funny how people don't seem to be able to use their imagination to think up something original.  Just copycatting what's already there seems to me to make no sense at all.  Now everyone has yellow markings, so now you are back to square on with all the bags looking the same.

Yes, I am now considering a redesign of my marking system.

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 3:17pm
I tie kielbasas around the handles of my luggage.  That, at least. narrows my potential luggage thieves down to Polish people.

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 3:20pm
Does it confuse the drug-sniffing dogs?
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 3:42pm
The German Shepherds and the Russian Wolfhounds will totally attack it.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 3:48pm

How about just stenciling your name across your bag?

Or put a photo of yourself in one of those clear plastic picture holder things, & attatch it to the handle of your bag with a plastic tie-wrap?

Or both?

Or maybe put a little tape recording of yourself with a pressure sensitive trigger device in the handle of your bag, so that whenever someone grabs it, the tape plays a full volume recording of you screaming... "AAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!! LET GO OF MEEEE!!!!!! I DON'T BELONG TO YOU!!!!!! HELLLLLLLP, SOMEONE, SAVE ME!!!!!!! I'M BEING TAKEN BY THE WRONG PERSON!!!!!!! HELLLLLLLLLLLP!!!!!"

Something like that, maybe.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

Does it confuse the drug-sniffing dogs?

Wouldn't that be the point?   I mean after all he is from San Fransico right? Wink

musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

How about just stenciling your name across your bag?

Or put a photo of yourself in one of those clear plastic picture holder things, & attatch it to the handle of your bag with a plastic tie-wrap?

Or both?

No, for me color coding is the way to go.  Perceiving colors requires virtually no thought energy what-so-ever.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:08pm
As opposed to recognizing one's own face......

What if someone else has the same color?

Or what if some prankster airport employee swaps ribbons around?

Lotta potential pitfalls there.

Actually, a large iron-on, heat transferred image of yourself on the sides of your bag would be the best way to go.

But I like the "screaming bag" method the best.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

As opposed to recognizing one's own face......

What if someone else has the same color?

Or what if some prankster airport employee swaps ribbons around?

Lotta potential pitfalls there.

Actually, a large iron-on, heat transferred image of yourself on the sides of your bag would be the best way to go.

But I like the "screaming bag" method the best.

Allow me to point out the flaws in your logic.

First off, it's really hard to see clearly a picture of yourself on your luggage, because people at the luggage carousel always think that they are the only person getting a bag, so they always crowd up very close to it so that no one else can see.

It's good to have something that stands out well that I can spot through the small cracks I can see between passengers at the carousel.

The screaming bag seems to be an invalid option, as I wouldn't want to have the crap beat out of me by already annoyed passengers that have been abused by the airlines for 10 or more hours.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 4:56pm
I'm looking for one of the fake bloody hands that I could hang out of the bag (like those that hang out of the trunk of a car). Let's see if 'The Lemming Effect' continues...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 5:04pm
How about a big sticker that says:

I Heart Bin Laden

No one will want to steal that bag.

Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I tie kielbasas around the handles of my luggage.  That, at least. narrows my potential luggage thieves down to Polish people.

Nah, you'd basically have the entire Eastern Bloc after your luggage. Sausages are a food group around there.
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 6:19pm
Yeah, you're right there.  I'm half Slovak, myself.  Cold kielbasa with ketchup was one of my favorite foods as a kid.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 6:39pm

I Heart Bin Laden

Your bag would probably have broken handles from being searched and re-searched so often...and it may actually begin to take on a bit of a radioactive glow, after a while, as often as it will be x-ray'd, scanned, and so forth - but you'll be able to spot it in a minute.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 4:13am
Splash it with some white and black paint on the top and handle so that it looks like bird poop.  Easy for you to identify, and most people would think twice about picking it up.... Big%20smile
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 5:32am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I Heart Bin Laden

Your bag would probably have broken handles from being searched and re-searched so often...and it may actually begin to take on a bit of a radioactive glow, after a while, as often as it will be x-ray'd, scanned, and so forth - but you'll be able to spot it in a minute.

'Sides, if you don't plan on having any more kids, what good are chromosomes, anyway?

jeroboam View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeroboam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 5:56am
I first coined the portmanteau word, "dudical" sometime in the summer of 1985.
I created a firestorm that day my friends.
A firestorm. 
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 6:07am

The German Shepherds and the Russian Wolfhounds will totally attack it.

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2009 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by jeroboam jeroboam wrote:

I first coined the portmanteau word, "dudical" sometime in the summer of 1985.
I created a firestorm that day my friends.
A firestorm. 

Sorry dudical, I've never heard the expression before, Wink but I bet you've seen yellow ribbons on luggage at the airport.

ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 3:31am
Martha Stewart says to use bright green and so I do just that.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 3:49am
Originally posted by NathanAlexander NathanAlexander wrote:

Martha Stewart says to use bright green and so I do just that.

Yeah, I know, this is just revenge for my Dunkelmann comment.    LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 4:33am
I use some long red shoelaces.  Now that I'm thinking of it, they came from some black Converse that I put red shoelaces in.  I haven't worn Cons in decades, so those shoelaces are pretty old.  I thought I was pretty cool back then.  Thanks for the memories, Musicman.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic