Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Downsizing is depressing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Downsizing is depressing
    Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 2:28am
Last week one of our offices did a sweep of layoffs.  It was something I saw coming months ago.  It sucked.  This week was a carbon copy here.  The tension was unbearable.  Again, I knew it was inevitable, the new insurance policies are crippling us all in the industry.  Today we lost 2 really good techs and a nice secretary.  I am the most senior person and have worked with these people for years.  I was approached earlier in the week and was given an ultimatum.  Either adjust my work hours or else.  I told them that the only reason I am working these hours is due to my needing to get home in time to collect my children from the school bus.  Now I had to make a decision, either force my 9 y.o and my 7 y.o. to be walk home alone and wait for me to get home 45 minutes later or risk being let go.  There are no jobs in my field, due to the economy, so now I have to compromise how I care for my children just to keep a check coming in. 

I am sickened by this.  They are too young to be alone, and what is worse is that they are on different buses.  This means that one will be standing on the corner waiting for the other.  I am sorry, but this is unacceptable to me.  The reasoning behind this change is so weak that it's absurd.  I have decided to counter with me coming in later, but leaving a half hour early so as to be getting home just as they get there.  If this is not acceptable, then I am f**ked.  They know that this is the only job out there and likely for a long time to come. 
They say that they understand my aggression about this aand why I am angry, but they claim it is a critical part to their survival.  I call BS, but I'm a prisoner until the economy improves.  I swear I want to go postal over this.  My wife keeps reminding me that it is only for 2 months, then summer vacation will be here.  My bet is that we'll be shut down in 90 days. We are just the floaters in the bowl that haven't gone down yet.  If I get an entry level job doing something out of my field, I will take a hit that is worse than unemployment pay.

I know we all have stories about how we are struggling these days, and my story isn't rare.  I needed to rant a little to keep from coming unglued.  I will be out of work before summer is over and have 3 kids and a wife to worry about insuring.

I'm going to bed
was feeling nostalgic
Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 2:34am
Shadow, I feel for you.  Good luck in whatever you decide.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 2:49am
No, your story isn't rare. My closest neighbor was just telling me his company is closing the Virginia plant. He gets a choice of moving to Fla. or early retirement.
My brother's best friend, his company is closing down entirely. 
Adreme View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 3:04am
Shadow,

Do you have any family member or trusted friend that you can ask to pick your children up and make sure they are inside until you get home ?  I really feel for you, this is a very difficult choice.  Perhaps you should start sending out your resumes to other companies now, and when you get something better your current employer good-bye.  I hope it works out for you, this is a terrible thing to be on your mind.

My best friend lost his job October 1st, and he is still trying to find something.  He has great skills and his education, but right now there is nothing in our area that he fits into.  I feel so bad for him. 
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 3:14am
Shadow, I'm so sorry to hear about your dilemma.  I remember being able to walk to school by myself when I was very young. Unfortunately, that's just not safe anymore. Is there anyone who can babysit for that forty-five minutes?
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:11pm
Thanks guys.
Sadly no this is no one whom I trust enough.
I am hoping that they don't mess with my benefits because of working less than 40 hours.
was feeling nostalgic
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:32pm
You should be ok, unless they go lower than 30 hours.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 2:29pm
Downsizing bites.

There are only about 8 weeks of school left for us until Summer, I assume your district is similar. 

If you're anywhere near North Smithfield, the BVBGC (http://www.bvbgc.com/) is a decent place for after-school care and they have a very reasonably-priced summer program.   The schoolbuses in town will even deposit the kids there directly from school.  (edit: they're in Blackstone MA, but a stone's throw from N Smithfield RI; school buses go to that school district only)

Many school districts (at least around us, 45 minutes from there) offer before-and-after-school care for a fee, perhaps yours does as well. 

You may be able to find an afterschool kid-sitter by checking the bulletin board at your local library.  Some SAHM's do this regularly.  No harm in meeting/interviewing them - perhaps your kids even know other kids in the same boat.

Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 9:42pm
Unfortunately I live down by URI in the sticks.
The cost of a sitter is more than I am losing in the pay cut.
On an up note, I drove fast and got home as the bus was pulling away.
This may work for the time being.
Thanks for the advice!
was feeling nostalgic
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 9:46pm
Oh Shadow, man that bites.

Do your kids have friends with an older brother or sister who wants to make a few bucks? Or can they attend a local day care for the hour?

Sometimes, I actually wake up in the middle of the night panic stricken that "the layoff" announcement is coming. If I lose my jobs, we lose our benefits.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 6:00pm
Layoffs blow.  However, you should try working in real estate.  Ugggg.  I feel like a hardly go to work anymore, wich means I hardly get paid anymore.  I never would have thought the housing market would be in the toilet for this long.  The crappy thing, hahaha, is that if I go get another job, I would have to work 40 hours to make the same thing that I only work 25/30 hours for now.  I can't have a normal job, with hours like 9-5.  I like coming and going as I please. Noooooo, I don't wanna have a real job.
shadow View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 6:51pm
I may have to settle for side jobs IF we can afford my wife's insurance from her work.
was feeling nostalgic
msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 7:38pm
Insurance is almost a luxury now.  Husbands was canceled in April since he switched jobs and my employer informed us that they can no longer pay half of our premium, I guess they never had to but it still sucks.  Shadow, maybe you can pay a neighbor kid to walk the kids home.  They are awfully young.  I hope everything works out for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic