Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things to do, Places to go: VACATION!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things to do, Places to go: VACATION!
    Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:05am
(Thread Purpose: Share ideas with other board members about places to go and things to do...or not...)
The weather is getting warmer; folks are getting ancy...
"...gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now..."

I'll start; We REALLY, REALLY like 'train trips'...most of the time...think we'll 'keep it simple' and catch the Amtrack to NYC; go to a Yankee Game (last year in the 'House that Ruth Built'!)
trainride.jpg
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:16am
...let's not forget that sometimes you can make friends with you neighbor's little *itch brat - take her to the Amusement Park - take her on a FUN ride - or send her on one ALONE - she's a big girl, now. 
funride.jpg
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Adreme View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:20am

My favorite place to be is on the coastline of Maine.  As corny as it sounds, I really can't express how I feel when I am up there.  My dream for years has been to move up there, but the door has never been opened for me to do so.  Unfortunately I can't afford to go this year.Cry

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:28am

One thing we've been aching to do is go back to Northern Europe and float on a boat down through the small canals and rivers in Holland, Belgium, Germany, and France...just a 'slow boat'...candles, cheese, bread, wine, soft jazz/classical music, and MissyD...but I want a SMALL boat and be the only couple on board...

Well...a biiiiig ol'river right near 'Wolf Island'...
it's in the U.S.
if you go too far down it, you gotta pay the 'Niagara Falls Toll'...
$1, by car; life, by boat.
 BridgetoWolfIsland.jpg

No...Europe has more unusual ways and places to travel by boat... 

Adreme View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated to THIS forum!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:32am
I have always wanted to see both The Alps and the Himalayan mountains. 
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:48am
My sis & bro-in-law have a Buckroe Beach rental plat. It's in Hampton Va., off the beaten path.
Think I'll actually give it a visit this year.....when the water warms up.Smile 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:50am
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

My sis & bro-in-law have a Buckroe Beach rental plat. It's in Hampton Va., off the beaten path.

Literally right down the steet from my folks!
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 1:52am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Literally right down the steet from my folks!

My daughter just interviewed for a teaching job in Hampton.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2008 at 2:26am
Grandparents had a cottage a few streets off the ocean. It was our summer vacation as kids. Good times.
I haven't been there in years. Maybe this year.
msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 6:03pm
Buckroe is not really off the beaten path anymore.  I guess there are a lot of changes going on with the Salt Ponds ( ritzy neighborhood) wanting to close of part of the beach.  I heard the are screwing with the park and stuff too.  Also, the fishing pier is gone.  Blew away during Isabell.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 6:47pm

...at least, at the beach, you can go parasailing...

BadDay-1.jpg
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Adreme Adreme wrote:

My favorite place to be is on the coastline of Maine. 

Is that the light at Cape Elizabeth?  I "get" the Maine thing, too.  (Everywhere other than OOB, that is.)

I think we might go to Wells, this year.  It's a 90 minute drive from home.

As a child we would go to Cliff Island.  That was idyllic. Ying%20Yang 
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2008 at 11:25pm
o.k. - on the 'more serious'-side.
Some of us just simply love New York City....
Here's something for folks just wondering 'what to do'...

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 1:55am
Originally posted by msdeli msdeli wrote:

Buckroe is not really off the beaten path anymore.  I guess there are a lot of changes going on with the Salt Ponds ( ritzy neighborhood) wanting to close of part of the beach.  I heard the are screwing with the park and stuff too.  Also, the fishing pier is gone.  Blew away during Isabell.

Sounds like you are really familiar with the Hampton area, msdeli. Small world. It's been maybe 8 years since I've visited there.
But, as long as I can dig my toes in the sand and do a dandy Corona beer impression[beach chair, cold brew, hot chick if available]I'll be fine.Approve
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 2:12am

Vacation: When you forget your diets; try new things; expand your horizons...

Eat ice cream...
Flavors.jpg
Take the fam for a ride...
Familyouting.jpg
go for a 'Personal R & R Day' with 'The Boys'...
Wrongholeinone.jpg
msdeli View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msdeli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 7:22am
I live in Newport News so I guess I am familiar with Hampton.  I have to say though that Buckroe is my favorite beach.  For someone that is not bathing suit ready I guess I am ok with Buckroe.  Now that they have cleaned up most of the unexploded ordinance its pretty cool.  I will be in Richmond next weekend for the race.  I am allready exhausted just thinking about it.  Buckroe is good.  The area surrounding it is not so great (cracktown) but I haven't been mugged yetConfused.  I hope you have a great time if you come down, if you are looking for something to do I can try to help.  Me and my husband don't have much of a social life but I know where the good eating establishments are.  Can't spell the R word.  HAhahaha
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 3:29pm
IMG022.jpg
Well, this is a nice place to spend some time, if not relaxing on the beaches of Lake Ontario...think we're going to spend this afternoon at The Falls...
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 6:07pm
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 7:38pm

How about a GREEN vacation.Ermm
Give me that trip through the Sierra Madres!!! I want to sit in the front of the train!!!!

We had a 'Green Day', yesterday. Started about noon; we thought about heading out to MrsHill's plant festival, we settled for buzzing around town, via bus and rail.
The downsides of being green:
  • every time we got off a bus, or the trolley, it rained on us.
  • some of the busses were 'creepers'; we missed two connecting busses because of that; had to modify plans and didn't get home until midnight. Soaked. Cold.
  • The 'Saturday Stumbledrunks' always seemed to have a way of making their presence known while we rode public transportation.

DARK FATHER View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARK FATHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 7:43pm

Until the government stops violating our Constitutional right to freedom of choice and allows Americans to travel to Cuba my dream vacation is on hold...

Back from the dead...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2008 at 9:37pm
When I was very young, I got a short tour, here...when I was almost out of school, I took a lengthy tour...I want to go back very badly - I'd like to revist it from another perspective, these days, being more of a history buff...

'Madeline' pretty well describes this potion of the tour, in an interesting two-page post:

Big Momma View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
I donated.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Momma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 12:19am
My trip to Austria last year was a dream come true!!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2008 at 4:44pm
Go for a plane ride on a 747...or not
(for the curious - this happened on SUNDAY - 5/25/08 - and NOBODY was *seriously* hurt (I think four people suffered 'bumps and bruises'...) 

art.jpg

CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2008 at 2:28pm
Matt and I are planning a family visit to Michigan and Illinois.  Hubby and I would like to go ourselves, but gas prices are prohibiting our visit.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2008 at 9:26pm
Alaska...someplace we've never been and a place we want to see...not sure we'll make it this year - but one day...

If it is too cold for Alaska, maybe this might substitute...

Join%20us%20for%20some%20summer%20redneck%20fun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic