Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things to do, Places to go: VACATION!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 8:17pm
Big smile The North Carolina mountains are one of our favorite areas to just hang out. The state is simply warm & welcoming, and, well...they watch out for the 'best interests of the 'slow'...'
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2013 at 11:12pm
Is that posted at a rest area Paw?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2013 at 1:22am

Indeed, Tizzer - at the Southbound entry on I-85.

"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 2:52am
WinkOur southern board members are probably familiar with this little stretch of road we've been all over a number of times. '
This is a car ride, or better yet - a motorcycle ride - across the road with the most curves in the US.
Larry the Cable Guy' had a section of tonight's show dedicated to this road - *I* love driving it - last time was with youngest son a few years ago when we went to see his sis, the TWolf, who lived pretty close by (the little missy multi-degreed XGamer 'owned' those mountains before she moved to the flatlands, a few months ago - she won't admit it, but *I* believe one cannot move from Heaven to a place they believe better (unless it is to Wolfy Island - and the mountains are actually not too far off).
It's a free amusment park ride - unless you screw up.

"The Dragon - US 129"

The northern terminus of US Highway 129 is at Knoxville, Tennessee. It runs south from the southwestern border of Knoxville and through Alcoa, Tennessee, as Alcoa Highway, then into Deals Gap. From here, it is also known as The Dragon and continues into North Carolina. In the eleven mile (18 km) stretch that ends just past the Tennessee-North Carolina state line, drivers will encounter 318 curves. These curves make this stretch of highway a well known motorcycle/sports car destination for locals and tourists. On weekends, through Spring to the Fall months, visitors are likely to see numerous riders and drivers here to experience the thrill and scenery.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 8:13am
Big smileBeing an avid 'History Buff', IIIiiiiiiiiiiii want to go to another REAL PLACE that has left NO CLUE to as how old it really is, who built it, much less why  - but it IS THERE and weird?
A genuine technical marvel.
Another mind-boggling place.
A series of 20 stories of carefully crafted underground cityspace for up to 20,000 humans, animals, and food storage.
Derinkuyu, Cappadocia (Turkey)

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 9:50pm
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2014 at 2:34am
Wink'tis time for that 'Wintercation'!!! Can't go wrong with the likes of this (and LOTS of this going on up here about now)
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 6:41pm
Wink..as time goes by, I'm being pulled more and more to go to spiratual, yet not religiously-specific ancient places far away. Places that leave us wth more questions than answers. Throughout this thread I've pointed out a few of many I intend to visit, but I've an odd feeling I'll only get to see a few.,..and MissyDWolf, who, like self, believes we've 'known each other before' (I, like her, can 'pinpoint the moment of realization', which was VERY eye-opening), may *not* visit because she's a little scared of it all...but *I* HAVE to do it...now - to make the choices (some earlier posted within this thread).
I've mentioned a few places in South America and Africa, but this one tugs at me like nothing else other than places like <SPAN dir=ltr id=eow-title title="Göbekli Tepe - National Geographic Channel" ="watch-title yt-uix-expander-">Göbekli Tepe (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JfbV21weQE)</SPAN> - the more I study this place, the more it pulls me...

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 12:49am

If his story proves out to be TRUE, this kid really need all of us.
What SOME people will do to go on vacation - to go see Mom (and since he DIDN'T make it, he fesses up to us).
We need a charity to send him home...of, if he fooled us, to drop him somewhere near Amelia Earhart...

Teen plane stowaway recalls trip 'above the clouds' in wheel well

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/06/18/us/teen-plane-stowaway/index.html?hpt=us_c2
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 3:22pm
^ That story is a few months old now, Pa. Didn't that happen a few months ago? Boy didn't like his stepmother, wanted to see his Mom, climbed over a fence onto the tarmac and hitched an unbelievable ride.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Madawee Madawee wrote:

^ That story is a few months old now, Pa. Didn't that happen a few months ago? Boy didn't like his stepmother, wanted to see his Mom, climbed over a fence onto the tarmac and hitched an unbelievable ride.
Just hit CNN yesterday - but you've a point, Maddy - he did this on April 20 (for those that have mastered the fine art of reading). This is more a follow-up, so it seems.
Seems he wants to now go to Minnesota and live with an aunt, but the feds may not let him fly..he might not like his seat and try and find his way into the closest wheel well.
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 6:46pm
^ Doctors were saying its a miracle his lungs didn't explode. It was a pretty remarkable story. Kid had innovation that's for sure !
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 5:54pm
ConfusedGiven the future holds lots of travel between the GWN and SwampLand, I've decided to 'Go Greyhound' (otherwise known as 'The Ghetto Airlines'). This is because I just will not know how long I will be in any one place and maybe I might have a reason to stop in to our New York offices, if I'm up for it. Anyway...all bus riders are granted the pleasure of visiting the very bowels of the New York Port Authority, which, as grungy as it is, it is an experience that will stick with a person much longer than what you'll be washing off of you, after you finally reach a shower...I love the place almost as much as Penn Station.
This is a fuzzy pic of the northbound-side...the southbound-side is urine-yellow, and a real adventure to get to, which everyone has to do, as they switch busses (a 'must'). It should be mentioned that the red walls are all ugly old bathroom tile. If they wanted, they could simply close the bathrooms down and just periodically firehose the place down. Wouldn't hurt a thing.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 8:57pm

Gents! Consider the one you love and take give them the joy of this trip:

Penis Shaped Map of Town Goes Viral
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

WinkOur southern board members are probably familiar with this little stretch of road we've been all over a number of times. '
This is a car ride, or better yet - a motorcycle ride - across the road with the most curves in the US.

Larry the Cable Guy' had a section of tonight's show dedicated to this road - *I* love driving it - last time was with youngest son a few years ago when we went to see his sis, the TWolf, who lived pretty close by (the little missy multi-degreed XGamer 'owned' those mountains before she moved to the flatlands, a few months ago - she won't admit it, but *I* believe one cannot move from Heaven to a place they believe better (unless it is to Wolfy Island - and the mountains are actually not too far off).

It's a free amusment park ride - unless you screw up.

"The Dragon - US 129"

The northern terminof US Highway 129 is at Knoxville, Tennessee. It runs south from the southwestern border of Knoxville and through Alcoa, Tennessee, as Alcoa Highway, then into Deals Gap. From here, it is also known as The Dragon and continues into North Carolina. In the eleven mile (18 km) stretch that ends just past the Tennessee-North Carolina state line, drivers will encounter 318 curves. These curves make this stretch of highway a well known motorcycle/sports car destination for locals and tourists. On weekends, through Spring to the Fall months, visitors are likely to see numerous riders and drivers here to experience the thrill and scenery.

Pretty curvy road.

This curvy road named "Indian River Drive", follows the bank of the Indian River Intercoastal Waterway thru my hometown.

The part at the beginning where they pull off the highway onto the "River Road", is about a mile or two from where my mom still lives & the high school I went to.

Used to enjoy driving my own TR6 & my motorcycle on this road all the time back in the 70's.

There've been a lot of wrecks into trees on it. One kid I went to school with never came home from a ride down this road one night.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2015 at 1:33am
This week I made all my reservations for my Amusement Park-Hopping Trip this July. On July 6 I will embark on what I'm calling "The Bible-Thumping, Bigoted, Homophobic, Politically Incorrect (And PROUD of it) Indiana Thrill Tour" LOL. I plan to visit the following parks:

Bold = First time

Indiana Beach (One New Steel Looping Coaster, Wild Hawg opened since last visit in 2006).

Indianapolis Zoo (One Steel Non-Looping (Under 100' High) Coaster, Kombo).

Paige's Crossing (One Steel Non-Looping (Under 100' high) Coaster, Runaway Train).

King's Island (The Following Coasters have opened since my last visit in 1993):

Steel Looping Coasters

Banshee

Firehawk

Flight of Fear

Invertigo

Steel Non-Looping (Under 100' Tall) Coasters

Backlot Stunt Coaster

Flying Ace Chase

Steel Non-Looping (Over 100' Tall) Coaster

Diamondback

Holiday World (One Steel Looping Coaster Thunderbird Opened since my last visit in 2006).

I will also tour Indiana Caverns and Go Kayaking on the North Stretch of the Blue River (I did the South Stretch in 2003). As you know, Indiana Beach and Holiday World have between them five of the best @$$-Kicking Wooden Roller Coasters on the planet Big smile, and I look forward to riding them again. Holiday World is so good I will spend TWO days at this park. Thumbs Up

Kings Island and Holiday World will have Fireworks on the evenings I will be at both parks, a great way to celebrate "Serious Thrill Issues Day" (That's July 9 for those of you in Rio Linda!).
Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2015 at 7:51pm
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 10:50pm
Big smile...kinda close to 'The Den', as I'm relaxing and getting ready to head back to 'The Swamp', doncha know.
I'm all around the mighty Niagara gorge, exploring and visiting my favorite resting stop.
I've had a week and a half around 'Home' and I really do not have ANY desire to leave my current surroundings...but I have to, even though, in the name of the Missus, I decided to learn how to program my own Sirrus radio and use the Soul's 'Blue Tooth' (stuff I turned away from years back, but only took me 30 minutes to master, this A.M.)
There are actually boats that are specially made to run up the Niagara. They only exist here and probably have more horsepower than a many jets...and YOU can actually ride in them!
Think I finally will - next time...
nia gorge
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2018 at 4:42am
Winkol'Mule posted something about a mustard-yellow place up north, or something like that, in another thread...maybe it was the 'Museum of Used & Diseased Condoms'? I dunno...but if somebody needs a place to go and take children to? How about someplace educational? How about Cawker City, Kansas? Or would it be in Darwin, Minnesota? Has anyone ever been to either place? Thinking of going (but not really hard) because of this 'battle royal' going on between these two great USofAllStrungOut.
Twine Ball gazebo. 
 Image result for largest ball of twine
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 12:18am
Big smileWink
So I'm a 'History Buff' - I don't feel like repeating our past mistakes - better to learn from them.
Then again, I love food, also...and often the spicier, the better. I guess this goes for history, also.
The older and more horrid, the better the story to be had...most of the time.
Forever, I've wanted to go explore this little island in Venice, Italy with a dark history dating back over 1500 years and, as small as the island is, the final resting place for almost 200,000...but my desires are now waning as the more I've read and looked into it, the stranger this place gets - and it IS more than weird. Everyone that goes there comes back...well...'different'.
Worthy of a ton of research before even THINKING of taking your female couch potato and spermmistakes for this little international jaunt.
The only way to get there is by paying a local to take you - the only way to get back is trusting they will return to pick you up...but can you imagine the thrill of experience???!!!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 9:17pm
Big smileClap
I don't knit.
I don't really get into Heavy Metal.
I think everyone should find a way to attend this annual festival in Finland, though...

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 4:49pm
CryNow I REALLY want to go home!
An old school mate sent me this photo today...and I am totally homesick, right now.
The below picture is the of Heidelberg, West Germany, where I lived for some years and went to school...our graduation was at the castle one can see on the upper right side of the picture.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 6:44pm
^ Looks cold!  I'm fascinated with geography! What river is that?  It looks like there is a lot of current.  It might not freeze in the winter.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:33pm
It is the Neckar River - a major river in Germany. It is usually cool to cold there. My last summer there - 1975 - it was jacket weather all summer and rained all but 2 days - I was a soaked rat that whole summer. Imagine the change I went through when I moved from there to El Paso, Texas...pretty much like moving to the moon.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 10:09am
Let's play 'Where Are We Now?'!Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic