Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Golo for thee but not for me.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Golo for thee but not for me.
    Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 2:45pm

Here's the commercial:

The product being pushed is a weight loss program. Should the president of the company be in the commercial, touting a weight loss program?
I think not. I mean, she's not gigantic or awful or anything, but...well, she's kinda like some of those "before" pictures.

Here's another pic of her:

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 3:38pm
If that's her after GOLO, she should put a before picture of herself too.

If she was a whale before, then it would help promote her product.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 5:06pm

Yes. Or...they could just not show her. Weight Watchers and SlimFast don't show their presidents.

Didn't anyone think of this?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 6:37pm
Maybe they're trying to reflect the new standard of what is considered not only an acceptable, healthy weight for women, but what constitutes physical beauty.

At least on TV.

Of course men still have to have chiseled, handsome faces and muscular physiques to be considered attractive.

We are supposed to consider all women beautiful no matter if their outward appearance isn't within the traditional parameters.

If we don't admire them for their shining, sparkling inner beauty, we're shallow pigs.

They otoh, can still hold us to the George Clooney standard.

Who knows.

Who cares.

It gets the mute button the instant it appears on my TV anyway.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 7:32pm
I don't know if that's their intent. I kinda doubt it. Notice that, in the commercial, they have her hidden behind a desk.

That reminds me of King of Queens, when Leah Remini put on a lot of weight (pregnant, maybe?). They'd hide her in bathrobes, in bed, behind the kitchen counter etc.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 8:31pm
Well, if the picture of her that reveals her chubbiness isn't actually in the commercial, and in the commercial she is hidden behind the desk, doesn't that sort of nullify your original suggestion that maybe an overweight president of a weight loss company shouldn't be in their commercial?

IOW, if her chubbiness is hidden from view, where's the problem?

C'mon, man!
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I don't know if that's their intent. I kinda doubt it. Notice that, in the commercial, they have her hidden behind a desk.

That reminds me of King of Queens, when Leah Remini put on a lot of weight (pregnant, maybe?). They'd hide her in bathrobes, in bed, behind the kitchen counter etc.

Yes, she was pregnant during the series (I think twice). If you have the fortitude to do so, try binge watching the entire series sometime. You can watch her turn from "hot" to "not", "phat" to "fat", "fox" to "lox", "Damn!" to Daaamn!", "twig" to "big", and back again
Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 9:16pm

^ I'd binge-watch that show. In fact, I already have. That's the way I watch sitcoms---weekend, bad weather, plenty of food on hand, blocks of sitcoms.

It's been awhile for King of Queens, though. I may have to seek it out.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 7:00am
Don't ever binge watch The Monkees.  Trust me on that.  I'd use it to torture prisoners I want to get information from, though...  Big smile
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 8:36am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Well, if the picture of her that reveals her chubbiness isn't actually in the commercial, and in the commercial she is hidden behind the desk, doesn't that sort of nullify your original suggestion that maybe an overweight president of a weight loss company shouldn't be in their commercial?

IOW, if her chubbiness is hidden from view, where's the problem?

It was her in the commercial that made me suspect she wasn't thin. It was not hidden from view. So I Googled her name and found that, indeed, she wasn't thin. I did that just to double check.

To me, it just doesn't seem like she would be the best spokesman for a weight loss product.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 8:40am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Don't ever binge watch The Monkees.  Trust me on that.  I'd use it to torture prisoners I want to get information from, though...  Big smile

Yeah, some of that zany 60s stuff is just awful...at least in retrospect. Same with Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. Insufferable! Good at the time, though.

Wasn't The Monkees show modeled after the Beatles movies? I think maybe Help.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 3:36pm

It was her in the commercial that made me suspect she wasn't thin. It was not hidden from view. So I Googled her name and found that, indeed, she wasn't thin. I did that just to double check.

To me, it just doesn't seem like she would be the best spokesman for a weight loss product.

Well, I agree with you on that (last sentence), but this seems to me, to be tied in with the new mentality which dictates that it's no longer considered socially acceptable to judge a woman's worth, acceptability for any position or task, including modelling, or beauty, on her weight or appearance.

For example, you wouldn't think an obviously overweight person to be the best model for swimwear either, but...

Overweight men otoh, can for the most part, still be regarded as too fat to be selected for certain things based on their weight and appearance.

You're not gonna see many fat male TV hosts, presenters, local news anchors or models. Especially for swimming trunks, unless it's for a big & tall men's wear catalogue.

But all women must be deemed perfect just the way they are.

The "new rules".

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 3:41pm

Yeah, some of that zany 60s stuff is just awful...at least in retrospect. Same with Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. Insufferable! Good at the time, though.

Wasn't The Monkees show modeled after the Beatles movies? I think maybe Help.

I never missed The Monkees when I was a kid.

Can't sit through five minutes of it now.

Rowan and Martin's Laugh In otoh, is still kind of funny sometimes, I think.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 4:15pm

Overweight men otoh, can for the most part, still be regarded as too fat to be selected for certain things based on their weight and appearance.

You're not gonna see many fat male TV hosts, presenters, local news anchors or models. Especially for swimming trunks, unless it's for a big & tall men's wear catalogue.

But all women must be deemed perfect just the way they are.

The "new rules".

That's 'cuz we don't have a buncha guys in underwear hugging each other and saying "You go, boy!" or "Work it, you big Butch!" or "You're big and beautiful, you beast of a man".

We need to come together in solidarity and show the world how strong and powerful and beautiful we are.

I'll bring the party hats.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 4:55pm
I need one of those.... suits.

It would be the perfect thing to wear when I go to Walmart.

Maybe someone would take a picture of me and post it on one of those "Walmart People" websites and I'd become rich and famous.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 8:23pm

I wish we got more of those freaks. There've been a few trannies, a young guy wearing one of those animal pajama suit things and Hispanic girls with those great big Hispanic girl butt prosthetics, but that's about it.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 10:59pm
So IOW, one of the main reasons for working at Walmart to begin with... getting to see a steady parade of grotesquely overweight oddball freaks dressed in clothing they should never be seen wearing in public... never really materialized.

That sucks.

Is there a Walmart location somewhere else that is known to be a magnet for these kinds of people?

And if so, could you get transferred there?

Or is there, as I would assume, a long waiting list?

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 11:12pm

I would love it if every trip into the store was like going to the Jim Rose Circus or the set of the movie Freaks or a Diane Arbus photo shoot or a party at John Waters house circa 1972 or the Special Olympics...but it isn't.

Just the sheer number of Walmarts and the sheer number of people who shop there, says a certain number will get to be immortalized in "People of Walmart". But they're just not as numerous as we'd like.

We had a buncha young Orthodox Jews (the kind with yarmulkes and those long curls coming down in front of their ears and probably all named Shmuley or Moishe) come in on a shopping trip not long ago. That was different, I guess.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 11:35pm
They're called Hasidic Jews.

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 6:17am
Quote We had a buncha young Orthodox Jews (the kind with yarmulkes and those long curls coming down in front of their ears and probably all named Shmuley or Moishe) come in on a shopping trip not long ago. That was different, I guess.

Let us know what happens if some Amish come in to shop... 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 8:30am

They're called Hasidic Jews.

Yeah, I know that. I've always had Jewish friends. Though they're common here (Lakewood, NJ is a big Hasidic community), I didn't know if CIHers outside of the Northeast would know what Hasidics are, and that they did that curl thing. Not all Orthodox Jews are Hasidics, so I said "young Orthodox Jews (the kind with...)".

CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 3:25pm

I made that mistake a few years ago. I got this uncontrollable urge to put on a pair of bell bottoms.

Want to feel old? Mickey is the sole survivor now
Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic