Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting ready for Ian....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^ True, but you do have to worry about tin soldiers and Nixon coming.

Statistically, that poses almost no danger whatsoever, accounting for only four dead in Ohio since 1970.

Easy for you to say. You didn't know one and then find her dead on the ground.

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 8:57pm

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

^ True, but you do have to worry about tin soldiers and Nixon coming.

Statistically, that poses almost no danger whatsoever, accounting for only four dead in Ohio since 1970.

Easy for you to say. You didn't know one and then find her dead on the ground.

So?

I can still run when I know.

What of it???

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 9:28pm

Well, next time there's a riot, you best stay out of sight.

🎵'Cuz there's a riot goin' on 🎶

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 10:06pm

Well, next time there's a riot, you best stay out of sight.

🎵'Cuz there's a riot goin' on 🎶

Actually...

We'll be fighting in the streets
With our children at our feet
And the morals that they worship will be gone
And the men who spurred us on
Sit in judgement of all wrong
They decide and the shotgun sings the song.

I'll tip my hat to the new Constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution
Smile and grin at the change all around
Pick up my guitar and play
Just like yesterday
Then I'll get on my knees and pray
We don't get fooled again

A change, it had to come
We knew it all along
We were liberated from the fold, that's all
And the world looks just the same
And history ain't changed
'Cause the banners, they all flown in the last war

Just like yesterday
We don't get fooled again, no, no

I'll move myself and my family aside
If we happen to be left half-alive
I'll get all my papers and smile at the sky
For I know that the hypnotized never lie

Do you?
Yeah

There's nothing in the street
Looks any different to me
And the slogans are effaced, by-the-bye
And the parting on the left
Is now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

Just like yesterday
We don't get fooled again

Don't get fooled again, no, no

Yeah

Meet the new boss
Same as the old boss

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 10:12pm

Yeah, yeah, we're all wasted, anyway. So, Who cares?

I was never a huge fan of the Who, but that album was great, probably their pinnacle.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 6:30am
ugh, 2+ days without power.  I had beachfront property for a day or two, still picking up everything that washed up on it.  I live on a hill, and the street out front flooded about halfway up (about 4 feet deep), one house across the street lucked out, only their garage floor flooded, another had about an inch or so, and two others had 2 feet in their houses.  Have to be careful with my water use, the drainfield is saturated and the septic tank is flooded, so it's draining slowly.   One of the houses had 4 cars flooded out (I checked outside about 1AM, street wasn't too flooded, by 5AM it was way up in the yard, meaning there was a lot of rain in a short time.) 
My battery inverter worked great for the TV Smile , but blew fuses when plugging in a hot water boiler, so out came a camping stove for making cup-o-noodles... 
All in all, the neighborhood survived...  Thumbs Up
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 12:18pm

Funny how a minor difference in elevation makes such a major difference in life going forward. Even just a few inches of water in a house can mean major repairs and expense. You got lucky, MrTim.

MustangMarj View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 1:19am
Glad you are alright MrTim - we, too, had small branches to bundle up for yard waste day tomorrow, but we certainly dodged a bullet. Feeling pretty lucky, so bought a lottery ticket!
Don’t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 1:52am
The weather down here post-Ian has been, in a word....

SPECTACULAR!!!

GLORIOUS!!!

GORGEOUS!!!

AWESOME!!!

AMAZING!!!

TO DIE FOR!!!

Okay, that was a FEW words.

But if it were possible for a human to be in LOVE with the weather...

I'M IN L❤️VE!!!!😍

Finally, actual FALL WEATHER IN OCTOBER!!!!

Early October no less!!!!

It feels so amazing outside right now, I just want to go out and lie down in my yard!!!

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 6:06am
Yes, it's nice, except for all the Censoreding mosquitoes.... 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 8:44am

Early October 2010. My bro, ex-sis-in-law and cousin visited me in CA. One day, we went out touring the area.

It was 110 degrees that day in some nearby places.

My bro still remarks that it was the hottest day he'd ever experienced.

Edit: I just checked record temps in the Sacramento area. It was 116 less than a month ago.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 3:14pm
But..... was it a DRY HEAT?

Because that's always preferable to a damp, sticky, humid heat.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 3:47pm

Nope. Very little humidity. I remember one hot day being at 17% humidity.

But low humidity's good in another way, too. With so little moisture in the air to hold any heat in, nighttime temps go down to the 50s and 60s.

Another plus: you can put a wet shirt out in the sun, and it's dry in 15 minutes.

A negative: the lawn and plants require near daily watering.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 4:25pm

A negative: the lawn and plants require near daily watering.

Just one of a myriad of reasons why California has a water shortage problem so severe, it's on the verge of destroying the state's economy and making it uninhabitable.

Honestly, I think it should be illegal there to even have grass lawns or at least, to water them.

It should be required for lawns out there to be xeriscaped.

Reminds of this scene from one of my favorite episodes of The Rockford Files, called "The Battle for Canoga Park"....

The woman is the leader of a group of far right, ultra nationalist paramilitary kooks, who are preparing for some perceived upcoming culture war by stockpiling weapons, etc.

It's pretty funny.

When they arrive at her house just prior to the scene in the clip, as they approached her front door, all the sprinklers were going full blast.

BTW, this show was filmed in the mid 70's.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 4:36pm

Environmentalists have been fighting desalinization plants and efforts to increase reservoir capacities for decades. Even Newsom can't beat them (he's tried).

So there's that.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 6:18pm

Environmentalists have been fighting desalinization plants and efforts to increase reservoir capacities for decades. Even Newsom can't beat them (he's tried).

So there's that.

As well they should.

Quote Environmentalists have long said desalination harms ocean life, costs too much money and energy, and the plant would soon be made obsolete by water recycling.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/california-regulator-rejects-plan-desalination-plant-2022-05-13/#:~:text=Environmentalists%20have%20long%20said%20desalination,to%20support%20other%20desalination%20projects.

Besides, desalination is not really the answer. Or not the only one.

The plants are incredibly expensive not only to initially build, but to staff, operate and maintain. All for relatively little benefit in terms of gallons of usable water produced. They literally cannot build enough desalination plants to provide water for the entire state, especially the non-coastal, inland areas.

And of course, there's all the marine life they kill, which is something I understand anti-environmentalists couldn't care less about, but it's an issue with many nonetheless.

But more pertinent, is that there is newer, cheaper, more efficient technology which produces more usable water while being harmless to wildlife.

It involves super filtration and UV purification of sewage, and doesn't have to be located near a coastline.

They can produce large quantities of super clean water in a very short amount of time which then gets pumped into reservoirs to recharge the underground water supply.

From an episode of 60 Minutes a few years ago....

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 8:50pm

Here's all you need to know about the state of water conservation in California. Maybe. I didn't read the whole thing. Not that interested in the subject matter. Been hearing about it for years. I think the environmentalists won't be happy until everyone (except them) moves out of the state.

IN SUMMARY

The governor’s new water plan is timely and much needed, but making it happen will require unprecedented compromises from California’s powerful environmentalist lobby.

https://calmatters.org/commentary/2022/09/for-his-water-plan-to-work-newsom-must-marshal-all-key-forces/

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 9:55pm
The long and the short of it is, that it's a highly complex issue.

There are plusses and minuses associated with every solution, no matter what course of action is taken.

As with so many other modern problems, there will probably have to be a multi-faceted approach involving different methods in different locations.

Just blaming it all on environmentalists blocking desalination plants is about like the woman in the Rockford Files clip blaming it all on the
dang ol' A-rabs.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic