Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP, Olivia Newton-John

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP, Olivia Newton-John
    Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 8:47pm

Breast cancer, 73.

Bummer. 😳😩

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 9:11pm
Just heard about that!!!

Sad news.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 9:55pm

Wasn't expecting this one, although I think I'd heard that she had cancer years ago.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 10:58pm
Same here.

I guess she fought it as long as she could.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
MustangMarj View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:25am
Sad news. She kept fighting even after her cancer returned for a third time.

ABC News had a small tribute to her outlining her career through the years. Obviously, clips from "Grease" were shown and her music video of "Let's Get Physical" with the overweight men in the gym.

RIP
Don’t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:37am
Another legend dies. RIP, and condolences to John Travolta and her friends and family.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 2:31am
She had multiple relapses. Sad. She was the kind of lady that was so darn likeable it hurts even more.
RIP sweet lady

The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 4:44am
Not trying to minimize or trivialize it, but she lived for some 30 years after her initial diagnosis.

That's pretty good. I bet most people don't live anywhere near that long after a cancer diagnosis.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 4:47am
Originally posted by MustangMarj MustangMarj wrote:

Sad news. She kept fighting even after her cancer returned for a third time.

ABC News had a small tribute to her outlining her career through the years. Obviously, clips from "Grease" were shown and her music video of "Let's Get Physical" with the overweight men in the gym.

RIP

Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

She had multiple relapses. Sad. She was the kind of lady that was so darn likeable it hurts even more.
RIP sweet lady

I remember back during her heyday, people would refer to her as Olivia Neutron Bomb.

C'mon, man!
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 6:51pm
Such a shame. Olivia was one of the best actresses and singers of the 70's and 80's. She handled her cancer battles with courage. May she R.I.P.
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 10:25am
One of my top celebrity crushes growing up. She had the looks of an angel, wore stunning outfits, and sang right into the camera with a charm that would just give me chills. Unhappy

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 11:40am

I didn't really like much of her music, and her voice wasn't much more than pretty. I think it was just that she was so damned appealing. I might be one of the few who actually preferred the "before" version of Sandy in Grease. Not that the "after" was too bad, either.

Musically, I did, however, really like her cover of Bob Dylan's If Not For You.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I didn't really like much of her music, and her voice wasn't much more than pretty.

I think that high soprano female voices like hers can pretty much only do "pretty".

Difficult for them to do the down & dirty rock-n-roll stuff like Linda Ronstadt or Joan Jett etc, etc.

Kinda need a bit of a deeper voice to get that throaty growl they do sometimes.

But she was just, like you said, so damned appealing in every other way.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 7:17pm

Yeah, I guess most female rock voices are deeper or throatier or louder.

Why then, were those high-pitched male voices in hair metal and other hard rock genres so prevalent in the 70s and 80s? I guess the differece was that those voices were so piercingly loud.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic