Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Commercial Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Commercials

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Commercials
    Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 9:41pm
I have a DVD With vintage commercials from the 50's to the 70's.

This page should be for vintage commercials...or...should we make a separate thread for commercials from the 1950's to the 1990's?
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 10:40pm

I was never one to say that commercials from the old days were better than more modern ones. I like them for the nostalgia, but I've never thought they were funnier or better in any way.

I like commercials more from the last 20 or 25 years or so.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2022 at 10:50pm
Those old commercials were less nauseating and featured fewer annoying assholes.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
radioandnascarfan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radioandnascarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 2:08am
I feel like commercials were decent in the 90's but by the 2000's, things started to change, although for nostalgia's sake I do like watching 2000's commercial breaks on YouTube.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 4:01am
Every year around Halloween I like to go on YouTube and watch vintage Halloween themed commercials.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Every year around Halloween I like to go on YouTube and watch vintage Halloween themed commercials.

What a great idea! I used to like the lady putting together a huge bowling of Wrigley's chewing gum.

Damn now I'm going to have to look it up and I'm at work... (doing it anyway)
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

What a great idea! I used to like the lady putting together a huge bowling of Wrigley's chewing gum.

Damn now I'm going to have to look it up and I'm at work... (doing it anyway)

🎃 👻 💀 👀

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2022 at 9:48pm

I've never been a drinker but, for some reason, some of my favorite commercials of the past were for alcohol.

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 9:58pm
Here's one commercial that was on the DVD...

Is it me or...does the parrot look like José Carioca...but naked?
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 10:32pm

^ Love that! 👍

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 7:45pm

This song (I just heard it on the lower-end-of-the-dial radio station I listen to) references two old, well-known TV commercials. Anyone know what the products are?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 8:21pm
Well, the "greasy kid stuff" is from a Brylcreem ad.

Everybody remembers that one.

I kinda remember the other one, but can't say for sure.

Guess I'll Google it.

EDIT: It's from an Anacin aspirin commercial. She's being a bitch because she has a headache that only Anacin can cure.

Here's the long version:

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 9:34pm

LOL at that 😂

You're on the right track re the Brylcreem. That's what "greasy kid stuff" refers to. But why would Brylcreem refer to itself so negatively? The slogan was from Vitalis.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 9:44pm
I never used either one, so I have very little recollection of anything related to the qualities and characteristics of them.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 10:01pm

I used Brylcreem, but I remember Vitalis, Wild Root, Groom 'n Clean, Brilliantine, The Dry Look...

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 10:09pm
Long 'n Stringy.

Tangled Mess.

Hippie Slob.

My brands.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2022 at 11:07pm

I always wanted stringy, but I was more or less stuck with wavy.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 6:26am
I used Vitalis in the early 70's, when I was in 3rd grade. I recall it had a nice smell (I don't remember that it did anything for my hair.) My parents had bought a bottle of it for some reason, but probably only used it once.  After I finished it, they never bought another... 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2022 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

I used Vitalis in the early 70's, when I was in 3rd grade... After I finished it, they never bought another... 

Maybe 'cuz, by that time, the wethead was dead, the wethead was dead, and...

runwiththefox View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote runwiththefox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 3:24pm
Does anyone have a recollection of a 70s TV commercial I believe for Lipton iced tea. There was a memorable jingle that sang “whoops there goes another glass of iced tea!”
Ring any bells?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic