Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Addams Family 2 tie-in

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive Addams Family 2 tie-in
    Posted: 08 Sep 2021 at 11:56pm
Just saw the latest Progressive ad.

A CGI thing called "Flo Meets The Addams Family".

Just in time for Halloween.

Not bad as Progressive commercials go, I guess.

I wonder when the CGI Flo dolls hit the market in time for Xmas. 

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 12:10am
This groaner is why I took a peek at CIH. I just saw it for the first time.

It looks like the work of the same adholes that make the spots for Kroger (Baker's, King Soopers, Fry's, whatever).
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 12:16am
I have Progressive for my home and auto insurance.

I had a girlfriend who would sometimes speak French, I would ravish her with kisses all over her body.

She laughed her pants off!  Evil Smile

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 12:28am
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 12:48am
Can Pro Flo & whack pack make me hate the Addams fam?
Probably
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
MustangMarj View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMarj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 1:42am
I certainly don't hate the Progressive ads. At least their advertising agency gives a crap and tries to make the ads somewhat palatable! Not like Liberty with their wet teddy bears!
Don’t be a dick to your dog! He is a few years of your life, but you are all of his!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:05pm
I don't hate them either. 

They have an odd and subtle humor and I like that Flo tends to make fun of herself.

There's a lot in them to not hate. 
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 2:43pm
uh commercials i HATE?
i HATE the subtle wink wink that WE SUCK from Progressive..it literally implies
self awareness of how sh*tE these buffoons are and tends towards the
'we are stuck with these idiots' & have to do something with them approach
that 'blbah blah mega super sale a thon' ad is either a swipe against cheesy ideas
OR A FULL EMBRACE OF THIS DRECK
fine line between satire and actual crap 
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

She laughed her pants off!  [

Did she now? Lucky guy!
The artist formerly known as Madawee

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

Did she now? Lucky guy!

We had fun together.  She had an 8 year old son at the time.  We would play ball out in the yard.

She loved me until she didn't. I was forced into the second bedroom when the kid wanted to sleep with his mom.  That was the beginning of the end.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 8:36pm

Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

Did she now? Lucky guy!

We had fun together.  She had an 8 year old son at the time.  We would play ball out in the yard.

She loved me until she didn't. I was forced into the second bedroom when the kid wanted to sleep with his mom.  That was the beginning of the end.
I had a wild hair last night so I did a search...

Me

Hi, I'm looking for an old friend.  My name is Kevin. I'm sorry if this is the wrong person.

Her

Hello,  

Well, you got the “old” part right!  I don’t know if I’m the person you are trying to reach tho.  If you know me, then you know a few things about me - reveal something :)

Me

Hi, I think you would remember my name.  Did you live in Fishers, IN.  Do you have a son named Ross.  Sorry to bother you.

Her

You passed!  How are you Kevin?  Of course I remember you and don’t apologize for the email.  It’s nice to hear from you. Ross and I are moving in 2 days to Clearwater, Fl.  I can’t take the winters here in IN anymore.  Are you still up in Wisconsin - I thought that was where you were moving to last we spoke.  Wow, a blast from the past!  I hope you are well and it’s nice to be remembered!!

Susie

Me

Wow!  I hope you are well.  Yes, still living in Wisconsin.  I can't believe I found you.  Best of luck and I still have many fond memories of you.

jon1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 9:03pm
I have to confess I am thoroughly sick of Flo, Jamie, and that whole idiot bunch. That is all. 
CaptainErnie View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 10:53pm
Not so much with this one, but have you noticed how OLD Flo is looking lately? It's like she aged 20 years in a month
Children are just God's little way of punishing us for having sex
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 11:00pm
Nice one, Ron! I did the exact same thing with an old girlfriend except it was through the mail and was a birthday card. I had to hire a lawyer and go to court when she charged me harassment. My wording was almost perfectly identical to yours. Nothing whatsoever harassing or threatening about it. The booking officer jokingly said "Bet you won't be wishing her a happy birthday anymore".
During my court appearance the judge paused, looked at me and asked "Does this woman have a history of mental illness?" We both had a good laugh about that. Obviously he just threw the whole case out of court.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2021 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by CaptainErnie CaptainErnie wrote:

Nice one, Ron! I did the exact same thing with an old girlfriend except it was through the mail and was a birthday card. I had to hire a lawyer and go to court when she charged me harassment. My wording was almost perfectly identical to yours. Nothing whatsoever harassing or threatening about it. The booking officer jokingly said "Bet you won't be wishing her a happy birthday anymore".
During my court appearance the judge paused, looked at me and asked "Does this woman have a history of mental illness?" We both had a good laugh about that. Obviously he just threw the whole case out of court.
LOL
No such thing here Cap'n E. Just another touch with an old friend.  It feels good.

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:29am
I wouldn't mind so much if the first movie wasn't a total poop-fest, but it was. So OF COURSE they've made a sequel! Thumbs Down And the singing is annoying. Dead
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainErnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2021 at 2:33am
Maybe I'm just an old fart, but any rendition of the Addams Family in animation is going to suck! Think about all the classics of that era. Would you want to see them as "cartoons"?
jgf View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:05pm
Flo was novel for the first 1000 commercials, but at the end of that week she was tiresome.  Just like all the other cut-rate auto insurance ads - General, Geico, Poverty Mutual, etc. - I'm sick of the lot of them.  window.onbeforeunload = function() {}
jgf View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2021 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by CaptainErnie CaptainErnie wrote:

Maybe I'm just an old fart, but any rendition of the Addams Family in animation is going to suck! Think about all the classics of that era. Would you want to see them as "cartoons"?
window.onbeforeunload = function() {}

Batman
Star Trek
Gilligan's Island
Brady Bunch
Lassie
Putrid Family ...er, Partridge Family
I Dream of Jeannie
Bewitched
Lost In Space
Munsters
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 10:03pm
Flo Unhappy
we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 2:57pm
i gotta say i HATE all recurrent buffoon casts-Pat, his shrew wife(who miraculously,
hasn't killed him OR herself), Jan, Flo & the whack pack-even Mr. Whipple
was a tired bozo! Its lazy creative
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

i gotta say i HATE all recurrent buffoon casts-Pat, his shrew wife(who miraculously,

I think we only get Toyota pat here in AZ
we are the music makers
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with being lazy.

I think the whole point is to create recognizable figures that help to kind of cement or solidify public awareness of the brand being advertised.

If they came up with new characters every time they created a new commercial, nobody would remember them.

Plus, given the difficulty in coming up with new creative advertising ideas, it would be next to impossible anyway.

In the 90's I was employed by an exhibit company, the parent company of which was a Nashville based advertising agency. In the 1980's they were responsible for two of the most successful national advertising campaigns of the decade. 

They invented the characters of Ernest P. Worrell and Frank Bartles & Ed Jaymes, the two old coots who did Bartles and Jaymes Wine Cooler ads. 

Both were as iconic as the Clara Peller, the "Where's the beef??" Wendy's campaign.

The largest factor in the success of all of them, was that they were so immediately recognizable, even if you ignored the commercial or muted the sound, you were still reminded of the product. 

Another little stamp on the brain.

C'mon, man!
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 6:56pm
Jimbo yes that is the point 

but when do we get to retire Doug and Flo ?
we are the music makers
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 7:57pm
I guess that will happen when Progressive's marketing data shows that people are no longer responding to the ads or that public opinion indicates that the campaign has grown stale and they need something fresh.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic