Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greedy child to Greedy woman LEXUS commercial

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greedy child to Greedy woman LEXUS commercial
    Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 8:49pm
Just saw this ghastly new car commercial for LEXUS. This little girl thinks of her best Christmas ever and lo and behold the parents have given the Little type a Pony of her own. The girl is smug and self satisfied because all the little girl next door got was a plastic horse (which she drops when she sees Miss Greed with her GASP Real Pony). Then the girl is grown up and she has a shiny new LEXUS (presumably from her husband) the new BEST Christmas Ever.  It seems to be that the ads are promoting greed and jealousy of someone's "better" presents. Such a warm and fuzzy message. NOT.
Sponsored Links

Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 9:04pm
Toyota ought to be chastised for these commercials. 

I would love to give a new Christmas owner of "December to Remember" car a shot to the nose.

N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Hootman Hootman wrote:

Toyota ought to be chastised for these commercials. 

I would love to give a new Christmas owner of "December to Remember" car a shot to the nose.

...Then I'll set their new Lexus on fire and push it off a cliff!!!  DeadDeadDead
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 10:27pm
I'm not a real religious person, but IMO, if you have to finance a gift you've missed the whole reason of Christmas.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 12:01am
This commercial infuriates me.

Reprehensible is the word that comes to mind.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Gretel View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gretel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 12:53am
I actually liked the other 2 Lexus commercials.  The ones with the boy who got a Big Wheel and the one who got an Atari system.  They came across as kids who were really happy with their present, but the girl was just a smug little beeyotch.

If you were a kid in the 70's or early 80's, a Big Wheel or Atari really were the some of the best Christmas presents a kid could wish for.
The mind is a labyrinth
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 1:35am
I have a problem with this commercial.
Materialistic little shi&s!
I'm thinkin' it best this commercial be crossed with the Bridgestone Tire commercial - the one with all the critters screaming before the squirrel was to take on its next life as 'road food'...maybe, possibly...the commercial could 'twist'.
Maybe the steering just wouldn't work as well.
Maybe the squirrel 'grease' could cause the car to slide to the right a bit too much...and into that tree.
Maybe we could enjoy a silent moment in 'A Perfect World'.
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 2:47am
Originally posted by Gretel Gretel wrote:

I actually liked the other 2 Lexus commercials.  The ones with the boy who got a Big Wheel and the one who got an Atari system.  They came across as kids who were really happy with their present, but the girl was just a smug little beeyotch.

If you were a kid in the 70's or early 80's, a Big Wheel or Atari really were the some of the best Christmas presents a kid could wish for.

Wasn't that other one a BMW commercial? The one where the kid was spazzing? I could be wrong?
bamboo View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bamboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 4:04am
Has any guy ever bought his wife an actual car for Christmas, or does this just happen in commercials? I can't imagine dropping 40k on a Christmas present.
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 4:15am
Talk about the Grinch or Scrooge sucking the spirit out of Christmas with an industrial Hoover!!   How sad that what was once a happy, normal kid excited about getting something special(and a big deal at the time) for Christmas is now a smug, cocky douche getting a care most cannot afford as a gift.  

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Gretel Gretel wrote:

I completely agree about the Big Wheel.  I think Atari was BMW, as another poster has said - and that one's good too.

The difference is that those two capture a kid's pure thrill over a new toy.  The pony jerk has to throw competitive gloating into the mix, spoiling the joy.  I hate that woman, and her family for encouraging her to be this way.
BDrums1971 View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDrums1971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 3:05pm
Anyone who can afford to spend that much on a Christmas present has too much money. And they've probably already sold their soul to make that money, so it kind of goes against the whole meaning of the holidays, doesn't it? To Lexus...why don't you just rub it in a little more to the majority of the working class that we will never be able to afford your overpriced cars.  BTW, wonder what Jesus would say if he saw us giving cars as a way to celebrate his b-day!!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by bamboo bamboo wrote:

Has any guy ever bought his wife an actual car for Christmas, or does this just happen in commercials? I can't imagine dropping 40k on a Christmas present.

I'm not even sure how a husband buys his wife a car for Christmas.  Isn't "his" money "their" money?  Shouldn't he have consulted her on this major family expense?  Shouldn't he have at least let her pick out the color?  I can't imagine how a wife could be happy about such a present.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 4:17pm
I'm sure a lot of couples have separate bank accounts & besides all he has to do is sign the papers & commit to making the payments, so she really doesn't have to be involved in the sale. And one can imagine that that he either already knows what her favorite color is, or she has spoken of what color she would choose if she ever got a new car, so in that sense, it's not beyond the realm of imagination. But as everyone else here has said, the idea of dropping 40K on a luxury status symbol like that for some prissy little spoiled rich pig is so reprehensible it makes one shudder thinking about it. Makes my skin crawl.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by sandy345 sandy345 wrote:

Just saw this ghastly new car commercial for LEXUS. This little girl thinks of her best Christmas ever and lo and behold the parents have given the Little type a Pony of her own. The girl is smug and self satisfied because all the little girl next door got was a plastic horse (which she drops when she sees Miss Greed with her GASP Real Pony). Then the girl is grown up and she has a shiny new LEXUS (presumably from her husband) the new BEST Christmas Ever.  It seems to be that the ads are promoting greed and jealousy of someone's "better" presents. Such a warm and fuzzy message. NOT.

These luxury car ads nowadays are all about snob appeal.

And they are totally shameless & unapologetic about it, too.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 4:39pm
I'd like to see a similar commercial done by a used car dealership, in which the husband buys his wife or his daughter a '96 Ford Taurus.

Skerlnik View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skerlnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 4:50pm
"Oh, George!  An '81 Omni!  It's beautiful!"  Heart

"Oh, bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 4:55pm
"And the brown rust spots compliment the faded tan paint just right!!!" HeartHeart

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'd like to see a similar commercial done by a used car dealership, in which the husband buys his wife or his daughter a '96 Ford Taurus.

And the kids chip in to buy an extra large bag of cat litter to soak up the oil spots it leaks all over the driveway.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 4:59pm
Have it all wrapped up with a big pretty bow to make her think she's about to get the Boxter of her dreams.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 5:07pm
I was thinking more in terms of a giant length of baling twine or an old piece of rope.

In keeping with the whole "white trash" motif & all....

C'mon, man!
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 5:20pm

I'm not even sure how a husband buys his wife a car for Christmas.  Isn't "his" money "their" money?  Shouldn't he have consulted her on this major family expense?  Shouldn't he have at least let her pick out the color?  I can't imagine how a wife could be happy about such a present.

You'd think.   With the castratingly-feminist commercials we have today, you'd think that the general rule would be "HIS" money is "OUR" money and "HER" money is "HER" money.   Shouldn't wifey be pissed that he just dropped 40K+ on a car without consulting her?    Even though the gift is for her and she' greedy and loves it, she'll probably still bitch him out anyway!! Ouch
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 6:20pm

I actually do have a friend, whose husband gave her a Mercedes for her birthday.  She was excited, and she is not like the chick in the commercial who fondly recalls "lording it" over the neighbors (if you can believe that)  BUT she is clearly out-of-touch with the way that the rest of us live.

Lexus isn't advertising for "the rest of us."

They suck.
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 7:10pm

When my 91 Olds started to go last Christmas I was ready to accept that I'd be headed to the used car lot and find something cheap but working. My husband tracked down a green Del Sol across Florida for a steal, and decided that would be my new car. I wanted a green Del Sol so badly but figured I wouldn't be able to find one, or afford one. It wasn't a gift so much as it was him allowing me to buy it. It cost 3 grand, and it was the most wonderful "present" ever. This Christmas hubby is putting a labor of love into my car, including a new stereo. I couldn't ask for more, he's amazing. Him and my 15 year old car are the best gifts ever, screw Lexus, I don't need a luxury car to be happy. Besides, Lexus' don't come in green Wink
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 7:17pm
Maybe it was the girl who got the plastic horse who grew up and got the Lexus in the end.
Wouldn't that be better?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic