Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Jared: car navigation system acts like Hal 9000
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jared: car navigation system acts like Hal 9000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jared: car navigation system acts like Hal 9000
    Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 1:28pm
This commercial features a guy getting into his car who went to Jared, then the car navigation system (who has a female voice) says "Oh, he went to Jared" and "Can I see it" then the guy asks "can I just get directions,please?" with a stupid nervous laugh, and she says "I'm sorry I can't do that then locks him in. Later the gut puts the necklace on the GPS system and she says "Oh. it's beautiful" or something like that.

Ths is why I hate this ad

1. I hate this guys voice it sounds like the typical "dumb guy" voice and sounds like it's dubbed in, it doesn't fit!
2.the plot is ridiculous when will a GPS system spontaneously be able to have control over the whole car?
3. It's a Jared ad
4. Wouldn't his wife be jealous of him showing and putting the jewelery on the GPS system?
5.It's plain stupid, and I used to to like this ad,until I realized how dumb it was.
6. It's a Jared ad.
7.It's a Jared ad.
8.It's a Jared ad.
9. It feels out of touch in these tight economic times.
10.It's a Jared ad.
Thumbs%20Down
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

Hagar View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 6:53pm
I think the commercial sucks too. Besides, who really needs one?

My personal "Nav. system" is a Rand McNally Road Atlas from good ol' Wally World. It cost a whopping 6 bucks. Last Summer I made a 4,000 mile round trip mostly to areas I had never been to before. Between the Wally World atlas and a few printouts from Mapquest, I made the trip with only one minor navigation error.

My one experience with an electronic GPS was during that trip. I visited a friend out of state who had recieved one for Father's Day. We made a trip to Branson Mo., and he tried it out for the first time on that day trip. He had installed all of the updates, so the unit was current. That darn thing was downright annoying!! "She" kept trying to route us the long way. When my friend selected the route to the restaurant we wanted to go to, it kept trying to send us to the wrong restaurant. When we passed a turn it thought we should make, it would say "turn now" several times and then decide to "recalculate". Each time it said "turn now" the voice got crankier and more urgent. There is not a chance in hell that I would buy one.

One anecdote I heard awhile back explained why we supposedly NEED a GPS. When I was a kid and we went to Grandma's house, us kids sat in the back seat and actually looked out the window during the trip. Our entertainment consisted mainly of seeing who could spot the most out of state plates, reading Burma Shave signs and similar things. By the time we were old enough to drive, we knew how to get to Grandma's house on our own.

Now kid's on a trip have video games, DVD's etc. and seldom even look out the window on a trip. So, when they are old enough to drive, having never actually seen the route to Grandma's house, they have no clue as how to get there. So now they have to get a GPS unit to tell them how to get there. That doesn't strike me as "progress".
JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 7:44pm
I have a Tom Tom.  It is great for me.   The Road Atlas and I, do not get along.  I would always miss the turnoff because some of the street names where not on it.  While with Tom Tom, it lets me know.  And whenever I am going to use it, I update it.

And the commercial does suck.    
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 8:46pm
I have a Garmin.  It's quite helpful, as I seem to have no natural sense of direction.

I wish it worked inside the mall.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 8:47pm
This one is just creepy, the machine wants expensive jewelry, how is that supposed to make people want to buy it? Your GPS unit will hit on you if you go to Jared's and go all HAL 9000 on you....great message to send.

My husband has a Garmin and we enjoy it. We only use it when we're somewhere unfamiliar and we want to know where the nearest X food place or X shopping place is. We tell it what to find and it tells us how to get to the closest one. Its great to be able to find things on the fly like that.
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 9:11pm
My son gave me a Tom Tom last year.  The first time I tried it, it took me in a direction that I would never use, on a trip that I made frequently.

I started to complain, when my wife pointed out that it was indeed quicker. 

Since then, I trust it.  As I said in another post, I need one that tells me where to find my car in a parking lot. Wink
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 1:12am

I wanted to start a thread on this...thanks for absorbing the painful effort, AdN.

'Hal9000' is the PERFECT analogy.

What a shame that 'Halette9K' didn't jettison 'Junior' into the middle lane of the 405, during 'rush hour'. I might've chuckled. 

MorganFreeman View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganFreeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 3:57am
What the hell does a computer need a piece of jewelry for anyway? I'd be a little too busy starting the robot revolution to be worrying about bling.
You owe the companies nothing. You don't owe them any courtesy. They have rearranged the world to put themselves in front of you. They never asked your permission, don't even start asking for theirs.
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 4:21am
I guess this one hit the mainstream more.   Now the role of bitchy, vindictive woman has been replaced by a COMPUTER!!    Look out Glade Bitch, Milky Minute Mom and Home Depot/Lowe's women!!LOL
erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 7:47am
My wife's car has a built-in navigation system and my phone has built-in GPS capability.  I don't go places I am not familiar with very often, but when traffic is stopped on the  highway due to an accident or something, it's nice to have the navigation to be able to find a way around.  Also, we went on a trip to Montana and Yellowstone this summer and it was really nice to be able to have the map right there on the screen in the car, knowing exactly what street you are on without having to find a street sign (which can be a chore in some towns), and know that my turn is coming up in 3 blocks, again without having to try to read street signs.  Then I'm not one of those annoying people that doesn't know where they are and slows down at every cross street to try to find out what street it is and whether they should turn there.

As for the commercial, it's a little spooky and I dislike it almost as much as the one with the two desperate housewives wannabes sending their picture to their friend trying to get her man to hook them up with his brothers since he went to Jared.
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 12:29pm
IT CAN ONLY BE JARED!!!!  Dead

Unfortunately it's not.

A local east coast dairy Cumberland Farms has their own GPS taking over radio spots.

GPS:Turn.. right... Turn... right...
Guy: I'm not going right I'm going left.
GPS: New....Cumberland....Farms.....Coffee.......tastes.....good......need....to...get.....

Etc. etc. etc.  Very.... annoying.....

badp View Drop Down
Never Posted
Never Posted
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2008 at 4:32am
"Oh, you shouldn't have."
"You're right.  I should have put you under my tire and run you over you freaking, overused talking GPS gimmick."
big_E View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big_E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 6:43pm
They should really change their name to something else other than "Jared".   When I think Jared, all I see is that Subway guy, and I don't think he afford any jewelery.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2008 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by big_E big_E wrote:

They should really change their name to something else other than "Jared".   When I think Jared, all I see is that Subway guy, and I don't think he afford any jewelery.

LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 4:18pm
...now I'm thinkin' this guy really doesn't know how to handle women - that money-hungry, little GPSitch need some proper reprogramming and I'm just the guy to do it. Lemme have her overnight; she'll be sportin' a whole new attitude in the morning.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic