Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heat Surge: Fake "amish made" fireplaces.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heat Surge: Fake "amish made" fireplaces.
    Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 8:00am
I hate this ad, one for the fact that the flame is nothing but decorative and p-rovides no heat at all, the claim that it's "amish made" sure the cabin itself is made by them but I highly doubt the screen that simulates the flame is, oh and the stupid claim that it'd selling si well that the Amish is limiting the number of them to only 2 per household puh-leaaaaase! You expect me to fall for this crap? UnhappyUnhappyUnhappy
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 1:22pm
They're a type of electric space heater (with simulated flame) encased in a mantel made by genuine Amish people.

They'll sell you the insert without the Amish-made mantel, for only $50 less than the least-expensive complete unit.  $50 doesn't seem like much, going to the hardworking Amish folks, with their insistence on high quality materials and workmanship.  Actually, how much of that $50 difference would actually go to them...?

I think the idea is OK (as long as they're used safely and don't burn your house down) but the math is questionable.  To me.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Neil R View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

They're a type of electric space heater (with simulated flame) encased in a mantel made by genuine Amish people.

They'll sell you the insert without the Amish-made mantel, for only $50 less than the least-expensive complete unit.  $50 doesn't seem like much, going to the hardworking Amish folks, with their insistence on high quality materials and workmanship.  Actually, how much of that $50 difference would actually go to them...?

I think the idea is OK (as long as they're used safely and don't burn your house down) but the math is questionable.  To me.

I wondered if they were really Amish in origin, thanks for that info!!
I've only seen this advertised in our local paper, it usually gets a full page when the paper isn't running a similar full page ad for the "Buy huge rolls of dollar coins!!! Only $3.00 a coin!!"

The other night I saw something very similar at Big Lots (not to be confused with Big Shots, where you can buy discount monocles and top hats) and wondered if they were the same fireplaces, but this would have to be one of the Chinese Amish groups if they were.

B.the1st View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B.the1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 2:46pm
I saw this as a print ad in the Reader's Digest, and it was VERY sneaky. It was "get a free Heat Surge just for calling!" or something like that.  I was intrigued so I read the ad looking for the hook because something just didn't seem right.  Turns out, through extremely careful wording, you were still paying for the actual MANTLE...they would conveniently throw in the heater.  Tricky, tricky! Stern%20Smile  Because it was so difficult to figure it out, it almost seemed like a scam.  Because the entire main text and headline read like you'd get it (as in, the ENTIRE THING) for free.  Although it stopped short of a scam because if you called to order it you would obviously be told what you were being charged.  Still, though...
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 12:50am
thanks for the info, I just hatye fake fireplaces, it doesn't seem as authentic to me as real ones (which I experienced thanks to my grandpa (R.I.P.) having one, it was nice and warm and toasty). It's just not the same. 
Mrs.InkedInTink View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs.InkedInTink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 7:39pm
I'm sitting here watching SciFi, Friday the 13th Series and I see this commercial come on for Amish Fireplaces... first thing I did was text my boyfriend toask him if SciFi shows commercials that aren't real just for kicks & giggles. Then a website pops up on the screen so I go to it. Sure enough it's real, then this site pops up & I see this posting. I absolutely agree with you, I almost died of laughter. This is ridiculous and the best part my boyfriend texts me back "What do Amish need money for?"  hahahaha  Touche to you for feelings on the Amish made fireplaces my friend, touche!Clap
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 8:46pm
How stupid.   They show a woman 'wheeling' a fireplace into another room.   Yeah, that's practical for me.   I've always wanted the warm, FAKE, glow of a fireplace, umm, I mean a SPACE HEATER in my bathroom.  

And how romantic is that?   "Hey baby, let's cuddle by my phony fireplace on wheels."   Might as well cuddle by a space heater.
alex9152 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex9152 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 8:53pm
I often see these in the Parade magazines that show up in my Sunday paper. I don't get the part about the "if you live in the Cold Zone start calling at 9" and they show the US and show the Frost Zone, Cold Zone, and the colder zone.
bschmid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 9:08pm
do you know any Amish people?  why are you being so snarky about them.    I live in a community where they are numerous.  they are hardworking and friendly people.   they NEED money just like anyone else.    to live.

even in the middle ages people needed money to live .  sheesh.
bschmid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 9:18pm
some people cannot afford a real fireplace. it has to be built in and vented...quite expensive.   plus then you must cut or buy the wood, store the wood, then drag it in every other day.  it makes a giant mess all over the place and you end up with a layer of dust all over everything which you must clean constantly...they can be a fire hazard as well, if you do not stay on top of cleaning out the chimney.

I live in Michigan and have numerous Amish folks living in the area.  They are good, hard-working people, that would never say a bad thing about ANYone.  They would do just about anything for anybody without batting an eye.   the frame around the unit is what the amish make.  they also make cabinets and numerous other wooden items for sale in the non-amish community.  

my sister in law HAS one of these units.  it looks GREAT, and gives off plenty of heat.   her heating costs have gone down and they love it.
Local_Avail View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Local_Avail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 11:04pm
How Amish are these people who make these mantles? If they're on TV and they're truly Amish, aren't they violating their rule about not having "graven images" taken of themselves? How'd they get around that?
Christine View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 12:35am
I believe the mantle factory is smack in Amish country- even checked it out through Google Maps or Earth, and the factory is in a big industrial center across from a shopping area. Perhaps Amish work there, but I doubt it's quaint and charming.
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 4:28am
Originally posted by Christine Christine wrote:

I believe the mantle factory is smack in Amish country- even checked it out through Google Maps or Earth, and the factory is in a big industrial center across from a shopping area. Perhaps Amish work there, but I doubt it's quaint and charming.
OMFG! If you zoom in, you can see all of the little Amish children toiling away in the sweatshop!!!  LOL

(Yes, though we make fun of the Amish, it's good that employment opportunities exist for them.  If it means one less Amish meth lab out there, then it's worth it.... Wink)
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 4:37am
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

OMFG! If you zoom in, you can see all of the little Amish children toiling away in the sweatshop!!!  LOL

(Yes, though we make fun of the Amish, it's good that employment opportunities exist for them.  If it means one less Amish meth lab out there, then it's worth it.... Wink)

Now that's a commercial I'd like to see.   Amish meth labs! LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Dr.Roo View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr.Roo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Local_Avail Local_Avail wrote:

How Amish are these people who make these mantles? If they're on TV and they're truly Amish, aren't they violating their rule about not having "graven images" taken of themselves? How'd they get around that?

"I'm really not Amish, I just play one in a commercial."  LOL

But seriously, these are good honest people, and highly noted for thier cabinetry skills,
I actually am uncomfortable in the way they are depicted in these commercials, which border on flim flammery to me.
Yutolia View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yutolia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 1:48am
Originally posted by N-Dizzle N-Dizzle wrote:

Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

Now that's a commercial I'd like to see.   Amish meth labs! LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Apparently you don't remember the Amish coking dealing scandal. Wink
"Xbox Live is an online homophobia club for pre-teen Tourette’s sufferers." - Brockway, Cracked.com
Banquo View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banquo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2009 at 8:49pm
Making fireplaces is only good for winter, but they're expanding through.

Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2009 at 12:09am
Rather see the Amish creating fire place cabinets than running puppy mills.  http://news.google.com/archivesearch?pz=1&ned=us&hl=en&num=10&q=Amish++puppy+mill   Unhappy
"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Pirate Alyx View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirate Alyx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 7:59pm
I think they have these types of fireplaces in Home Depot as well.. but this one costs around 800 bucks....

plop plop fizz fizz oh what a relief it is..............
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Banquo Banquo wrote:

Making fireplaces is only good for winter, but they're expanding through.

LOL
Skins21 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skins21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 1:42am
Here's the only Amish person I care about

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 12:08am
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Local_Avail View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Local_Avail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 2:30am
Oh god I hope not. I'll have to run that infomercial again. Speaking of which, look real close and you'll see two "Amish" men using power tools to assemble one of the mantles:

And for a bonus, the host of this infomercial is Ross from ExtenZe! Here, he goes by his real name, Milton Lawrence.
Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring life
msmith View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2009 at 7:56am
Originally posted by Local_Avail Local_Avail wrote:

Oh god I hope not. I'll have to run that infomercial again. Speaking of which, look real close and you'll see two "Amish" men using power tools to assemble one of the mantles:

And for a bonus, the host of this infomercial is Ross from ExtenZe! Here, he goes by his real name, Milton Lawrence.
I don't think the Amish allow themselves to be photographed.  I would imagine video would be the same.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 6:54am
CryThey're back.
And wouldn't you know it...while having a cup of coffee at MissyDWolf's store the other evening, a poor, disillusioned soul was energetically telling us how she "just HAS to have one! The Amish-made top is simply beautiful! And I bet they really warm up the atmosphere in the Family Room...".
Within the next thirty (30) days, I really expect to read about someone's husband beating his half-wit wife sensible with an Amish-handcrafted Heat Surge mantle.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic