Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hi Michael, it's nice to meet you. I'm Amanda.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi Michael, it's nice to meet you. I'm Amanda.
    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:45pm

What does adopting a kid have to do with closets? Does this woman feel so guilty of having such an extravagant closet that she adopts an Asian orphan?
Sponsored Links

caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by atikovi atikovi wrote:

What does adopting a kid have to do with closets? Does this woman feel so guilty of having such an extravagant closet that she adopts an Asian orphan?

Actually, I get this one.  She's in her walk in closet trying to find the appropriate outfit to meet her newly adopted son for the first time.  It's just like a little back story while showing off their closet.  Not objectionable to me.  At least she's not dancing!  LOL
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 3:56pm

"You can call me Mom if you like, cuz I'm gonna call you Ling Ling."

ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 4:40pm
First time I saw this. And I mean no hate here...I saw the ad going in a totally different direction.

I THOUGHT she was perhaps Transgender (looking in the mirror...little nervous, but proud) and going on her first date with some guy.

Um, whoa I read that wrong. 

atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by ThatNerdInPhilly ThatNerdInPhilly wrote:

I THOUGHT she was perhaps Transgender (looking in the mirror...little nervous, but proud)  

And that voice.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 7:15pm

First time I saw this. And I mean no hate here...I saw the ad going in a totally different direction.

I THOUGHT she was perhaps Transgender (looking in the mirror...little nervous, but proud) and going on her first date with some guy.

Well, she does call herself "A man (duh)".

And in that screen capture...well, let's just say she's a handsome kinda gal.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I THOUGHT she was perhaps Transgender (looking in the mirror...little nervous, but proud) and going on her first date with some guy.

Well, she does call herself "A man (duh)".

And at the end of the ad, she is seen leaving or "coming out of the closet".

Little Michael will probably end up with two "moms". 

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

Actually, I get this one.  She's in her walk in closet trying to find the appropriate outfit to meet her newly adopted son for the first time.  It's just like a little back story while showing off their closet.  Not objectionable to me.  At least she's not dancing!  LOL 

I got that too.

But I still find it nauseating.

Can't understand why a closet company needs a sappy, feel-good commercial like that.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I thought she was adopting her future pool boy. 
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 9:40pm
Well, after being bombarded with all of the drug related, pandemic sappiness, and dancing idiot ads lately, this one seems rather tame and the least objectionable.  I'm surprised it even made it into this forum.  There's so much worse out there to pick on!  
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 10:37pm
'Hi Michael--im a MAN--DUH!'
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:05am

Well, after being bombarded with all of the drug related, pandemic sappiness, and dancing idiot ads lately, this one seems rather tame and the least objectionable.  I'm surprised it even made it into this forum.  There's so much worse out there to pick on!  

I'm with you, Carol! Not to mention the news. (As I was fixin' to write this, the evening news took a pause for the latest Vascepa ad - with that man dancing and waving a plastic heart tchotchke at the camera.)

Besides, I like your cat image - and your avatar.
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!
Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:13am

WTF?
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 4:51am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Well, she does call herself "A man (duh)".

LOLLOL  A Man, DUH!. Damn, this just made this commercial very deep.
Some crazy hidden sh*t happening in this ad.

Now looking at the still screenshot. Wait, is that Zac Efron?

atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by Dr. Dan Dr. Dan wrote:

WTF?

It ain't really incest if they're not biologically related.Evil Smile
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Dr. Dan Dr. Dan wrote:

I'm with you, Carol! Not to mention the news. (As I was fixin' to write this, the evening news took a pause for the latest Vascepa ad - with that man dancing and waving a plastic heart tchotchke at the camera.)

Besides, I like your cat image - and your avatar.

Thanks Dr. Dan!  I'm glad my cat being animated isn't too off-putting.  I think he's adorable!
Thuumb View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thuumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:30pm

OK, it's not objectionable, but it's still a head-scratcher to us commercial haters. It's just a weird product association: a huge life event like adopting a child....matched up against a stylish closet? Why not:

Adopting a child ---> a remodeled, well-stocked kitchen (Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, etc.)

Adopting a child ---> a great set of tools (Home Depot, Lowes, etc.)

Adopting a child ---> a great workout (Peloton, NordicTrack, Planet Fitness, etc.)

Adopting a child ---> a nice bank (PNC, Capital One, etc.)

It just seems like kind of an arbitrary product/brand association. Just the kind of thing we despise here on CIH. Wink
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:44pm

How about...

Adopting a child--->a nice cold basement equipped with shackles and chains.

Or maybe that's just me.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by Thuumb Thuumb wrote:

Well, after being bombarded with all of the drug related, pandemic sappiness, and dancing idiot ads lately, this one seems rather tame and the least objectionable.  I'm surprised it even made it into this forum.  There's so much worse out there to pick on!   

OK, it's not objectionable, but it's still a head-scratcher to us commercial haters. It's just a weird product association: a huge life event like adopting a child....matched up against a stylish closet? Why not:

Adopting a child ---> a remodeled, well-stocked kitchen (Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, etc.)

Adopting a child ---> a great workout (Peloton, NordicTrack, Planet Fitness, etc.)

It just seems like kind of an arbitrary product/brand association. Just the kind of thing we despise here on CIH. Wink

What it seems like to me is a phony, cheesy, disgusting, intentional and calculated attempt to use a child to emotionally manipulate people in order to sell a commercial product.

That's what is so objectionable about it to me.

C'mon, man!
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 11:06pm

Well, after being bombarded with all of the drug related, pandemic sappiness, and dancing idiot ads lately, this one seems rather tame and the least objectionable.  I'm surprised it even made it into this forum.  There's so much worse out there to pick on!   

What it seems like to me is a phony, cheesy, disgusting, intentional and calculated attempt to use a child to emotionally manipulate people in order to sell a commercial product.

Okay, all points taken.  Guess I was just in a charitable mood when I wrote this.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 12:54am

Okay, all points taken.  Guess I was just in a charitable mood when I wrote this.

There are no mistakes here at CIH. Wink

Everyone's opinion is valid.

C'mon, man!
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:30pm
What it seems like to me is a phony, cheesy, disgusting, intentional and calculated...
yes I couldnt have said it better myself 
thanks JIMBO for helping me put my finger on it

ahhh another entitled elitist lending a Christian hand to the poor colored folk from the sh*thole countries

how's that !  did I get it! 
we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream
Valk98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valk98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 12:50am
I would like to put the guy on the TD Ameritrade commercial in chains in the 

Basement forever , I’m so sick of these stupid commercials at a time when a lot of 

People don’t have enough money to buy food and pay their rent they are pushing

This bullsh*t investment crap, i HATE THEM !!!

HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 6:26pm
TD Ameritrade

Chains in the Basement ?

HMM i think this guy is on to something here!!!

K shaped economy anyone?

we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic