Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now that broadcast TV is going digital....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now that broadcast TV is going digital....
    Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 4:10am

I have an idea that I wish network affiliate stations would adopt.

I like to watch a good football game occasionally when one of my favorite teams is playing, but I'm not a football nut like some guys who'll park their asses in front of the tube all day Sunday & watch whatever game is on. (no offense intended towards any resident football nuts)

But what I really DON'T like is when some game between two teams I couldn't care less about runs long & carries over into the time slot of the broadcast scheduled to come on after the game, causing the rest of the Sunday evening schedule to be thrown off. 

Anyone who's seen over the air digital broadcasting knows that the new format allows broadcast stations to have multiple channels. Our local network affiliates all have 2 channels now. Channel 2 (NBC) now has 2.1 & 2.2; channel 6 (CBS) now has 6.1 & 6.2 & channel 9 (ABC) now has channels 9.1 & 9.2. Our local PBS affiliate has 5 channels.... 24.1 thru 24.5. In the case of the major network channels, all they do is broadcast the weather 24 hrs a day. Three of the 5 PBS channels only broadcast during the daytime & after a certain hour, they just show the station logo & the broadcast times.

I think each major network affiliate should be required to start utilizing those new extra digital channels for things like sporting events that run past their designated end time. If a game is going to run long, then a few minutes prior to it's scheduled end time, they could run a crawl across the bottom of the screen saying that they will be switching the game to the aforementioned extra channel so the people who wanted to finish watching it could go  there & everyone else could watch 60 Minutes or whatever, at it's regularly scheduled time on the main channel. When the game finally ends, they could go back to broadcasting the weather.

I am sick of having to choose between watching an interesting segment on 60 Minutes & a new Simpsons episode just because the friggin Eagles & Falcons or some other who-gives-a-crap game went into double overtime.

Now that they have the technology available, they ought to put it to practical use for the benefit of their viewers.

For those people with cable or satellite, I'm pretty sure they could assign some channel up the dial somewhere. I'm not sure how the new model TV's tuners work as far as those extra channels are concerned in the case of subscriber TV service.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 8:03am
TV is going digital?!?!?!?!  Shocked
Why, I had absolutely NO IDEA!  Stern%20Smile
They really ought to advertise this; people really need to be informed! Exclamation

LOL

N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 8:09am
I hope you're kidding!ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 9:08am
Originally posted by N-Dizzle N-Dizzle wrote:

Yeah, N-Dizzle; I am kidding!  We had a thread awhile ago about how obnoxious all the ads are for this, especially the crawl across the TV screen during Jeopardy!, etc.

JimAyzing View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive
Formerly powerboy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimAyzing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 11:31am
I like sports, but  am not a sports nut.  What I really hate is, when I am wanting to see a new show and having to miss it.  Because the game was put into overtime.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 4:10pm
Hence, my above suggestion. Wink
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

They really ought to advertise this; people really need to be informed! Exclamation

LOL

I hope you're kidding that you're not sure if she's kidding.  LOL

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 7:25pm
<Our local network affiliates all have 2 channels now. Channel 2 (NBC) now has 2.1 & 2.2; channel 6 (CBS) now has 6.1 & 6.2 & channel 9 (ABC) now has channels 9.1 & 9.2. Our local PBS affiliate has 5 channels.... 24.1 thru 24.5. In the case of the major network channels, all they do is broadcast the weather 24 hrs a day. Three of the 5 PBS channels only broadcast during the daytime & after a certain hour, they just show the station logo & the broadcast times.>

I haven't seen the new digital lineup yet. So, when you scroll through the channels, you have to go through .1 & .2 of each channel?
I could go for that suggestion. Basketball has to be the worst. 2 minutes of actual playing time left, could mean 15-20 minutes of free throws/timeouts/fouls/etc. and then it might go into overtime.Dead
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I have an idea that I wish network affiliate stations would adopt.

I like to watch a good football game occasionally when one of my favorite teams is playing, but I'm not a football nut like some guys who'll park their asses in front of the tube all day Sunday & watch whatever game is on. (no offense intended towards any resident football nuts)

But what I really DON'T like is when some game between two teams I couldn't care less about runs long & carries over into the time slot of the broadcast scheduled to come on after the game, causing the rest of the Sunday evening schedule to be thrown off. 

Anyone who's seen over the air digital broadcasting knows that the new format allows broadcast stations to have multiple channels. Our local network affiliates all have 2 channels now. Channel 2 (NBC) now has 2.1 & 2.2; channel 6 (CBS) now has 6.1 & 6.2 & channel 9 (ABC) now has channels 9.1 & 9.2. Our local PBS affiliate has 5 channels.... 24.1 thru 24.5. In the case of the major network channels, all they do is broadcast the weather 24 hrs a day. Three of the 5 PBS channels only broadcast during the daytime & after a certain hour, they just show the station logo & the broadcast times.

I think each major network affiliate should be required to start utilizing those new extra digital channels for things like sporting events that run past their designated end time. If a game is going to run long, then a few minutes prior to it's scheduled end time, they could run a crawl across the bottom of the screen saying that they will be switching the game to the aforementioned extra channel so the people who wanted to finish watching it could go  there & everyone else could watch 60 Minutes or whatever, at it's regularly scheduled time on the main channel. When the game finally ends, they could go back to broadcasting the weather.

I am sick of having to choose between watching an interesting segment on 60 Minutes & a new Simpsons episode just because the friggin Eagles & Falcons or some other who-gives-a-crap game went into double overtime.

In the interest of accuracy(and without trying to sound like 'Joe Sportsfan' giving 'Jimbo Not-so-much Sportsfan' a bad time), assuming you were talking about the Eagles in overtime yesterday, NFL games only play one overtime in the regular season.
However, many of the Eagles players weren't even aware that an OT game can end in a tie.
As for your suggestion...reverse it, and put the prime time stuff on digital while the football stays on the main channel, and you've got a good idea.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Irishman Irishman wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

In the interest of accuracy(and without trying to sound like 'Joe Sportsfan' giving 'Jimbo Not-so-much Sportsfan' a bad time), assuming you were talking about the Eagles in overtime yesterday, NFL games only play one overtime in the regular season.
However, many of the Eagles players weren't even aware that an OT game can end in a tie.
As for your suggestion...reverse it, and put the prime time stuff on digital while the football stays on the main channel, and you've got a good idea.

No, I wasn't talking about any game in particular, I just pulled the Eagles & Falcons off the top of my head to use as examples of two teams I couldn't give a crap about. But that's beside the point anyway.

As to your suggestion to reverse it & put regular programming on the sub channel, I just don't see how that makes any sense, seeing as how it is the regular programming that was scheduled to be on the main channel in it's assigned time slot to begin with. Plus, once the game was over, they would have to switch it all BACK again.

The way I was suggesting, once the game was over, the sub channel could go back to the prerecorded continuous weather forecast & people who watched the rest of the game  could switch to any channel they wanted to or turn off the TV & spend the rest of the evening picking navel lint or lighting their farts or whatever else they wanted.

The people watching the regular programming wouldn't have to worry about it anymore, as it should be.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

I haven't seen the new digital lineup yet. So, when you scroll through the channels, you have to go through .1 & .2 of each channel? 

I don't know how it's going to work with cable or satellite, but on the over the air broadcasts, yes, they can have multiple channels with decimal points. They are actually called "sub channels"...

And it's looking like maybe with some luck, what I was talking about may eventually come to pass. But.... there are bandwidth issues & from what I understand the subchannels usally get broadcst in standard definiton rather than high-def in order to conserve said bandwith. Hence, they might not be willing to broadcast sporting events in regular definition. The howls of protest would be deafening.

But here's an interesting article related to digital broadcasting in general....

Quote With digital broadcasting, a standard TV station can “multicast” three or more channels in the space occupied by just one in the old analog days. So in addition to the regular Channel 2, broadcasters can transmit Channels 2.2 and 2.3. Many local stations are starting to fill those “subchannels” with news, weather and other programming.

C'mon, man!
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 12:22am
Funny thing that my CBS affiliate's (11.1) digital subchannel is a MyNetworkTV affiliate (11.2), so if they implement Jimbo's idea they might have to make an 11.3 subchannel.  The NBC channel (5.1, 5.2 weather) is going digital early (12/1) to beat the sometimes nasty Nebraska winter weather.
doggiethedog View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doggiethedog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 4:49am
Good idea, but...will the NFL approve of it?? Everyone knows the NFL rules TV on Sunday afternoon.
BTW, this is the 40th anniversary of something that caused the aforementioned problem, anybody want to take a guess??? (hint- it has to do with a little girl...)
Sometimes you feel like an Idol
Sometimes you feel like an Idiot
N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 4:51am
I would have to be opposed to adding more subchannels.   It would be a good idea if "alternative" channels were carried exclusively on cable systems, but to add them to regular broadcast TV would have a negative side effect.   The more subchannels added, the more the bandwidth has to be split.   And especially with 1080i networks(like CBS, NBC and the CW), the PQ can go horribly wrong from a slight decrease in bandwidth.   A good example is NBC.   Most major market NBC stations(until December) have a digital subchannel called "Weather Plus".   During fast motion sporting events on NBC(the Olympics, NFL, etc) sometimes you can actually see the picture breaking up and "blocking"(macroblocking).   And it gets worse with each additional channel.    Some PBS stations actually have five subchannels along with a HD channel.   The main channel would look horrible and even the SD digital channels wouldn't be too hot either.

It is a little bit better with 720p broadcasts(like ABC), but in general it isn't the best thing to have excessive subchannels.

Of course a solution would be to not broadcast in 720p or 1080i anymore and only do 480i broadcasting, but that decision would result in a huge uproar(as it should).   I'm always afraid that one day that may come true.   One thing about those subchannels is it provides another place where affiliates can sell ad time during additional programming.    How long before broadcasters decide that they would rather have 6 or 7 480i SD channels rather than a HD channel?  
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 7:06pm
The local PBS is supposed to have five subchannels but I can only pick up 3 with the antenna.  29.1 is the main channel with HD, 29.2 is a channel previously only on cable but has slightly different programming (including the Nebraska Legislature live when in session), and 29.3 is some sort of PBS subchannel called Create.  The MyNetworkTV subchannel is also on cable (17) and DirecTV (25).  That subchannel has the main channel's news, Oprah, and Jeopardy on tape delay.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 11:19pm

I would have to be opposed to adding more subchannels.   It would be a good idea if "alternative" channels were carried exclusively on cable systems, but to add them to regular broadcast TV would have a negative side effect.   The more subchannels added, the more the bandwidth has to be split.   And especially with 1080i networks(like CBS, NBC and the CW), the PQ can go horribly wrong from a slight decrease in bandwidth.   A good example is NBC.   Most major market NBC stations(until December) have a digital subchannel called "Weather Plus".   During fast motion sporting events on NBC(the Olympics, NFL, etc) sometimes you can actually see the picture breaking up and "blocking"(macroblocking).   And it gets worse with each additional channel. 

It is a little bit better with 720p broadcasts(like ABC), but in general it isn't the best thing to have excessive subchannels.

Yeah, I understand the bandwidth & picture quality issues, that's why I was suggesting just switching the sports event over to an EXISTING sub-channel. And only for the portion of it that ran past it's regular end time.

C'mon, man!
musicman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Formerly 0000

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote musicman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 2:47am
Hey, has anyone heard that broadcast TV is going digital in Februaruy 2009?
Skippy View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly Skibibbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by FaithSF FaithSF wrote:

LOL

Darnit! You beat me to it!I was ready to post the same thing.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 3:06am
*waa waaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...*

LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 5:56am
I'll just be happy that after they all go digital then maybe...JUST MAYBE we can stop with the friggin crawls durring every damned show!! I am SIIIIIIICK of them!!

What about NASCAR???? OH sh*t those f**king races can go on and on and on and I care ab-so-f**king-lutely NOTHING about a bunch of assholes going round and round on a damned circle track!! Put that sh*t on ESPN or the SPEED channel so I can avoid it like the plague!!!
AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 6:06am
Originally posted by Wild Starchild Wild Starchild wrote:

I'll just be happy that after they all go digital then maybe...JUST MAYBE we can stop with the friggin crawls durring every damned show!! I am SIIIIIIICK of them!!

What about NASCAR???? OH sh*t those f**king races can go on and on and on and I care ab-so-f**king-lutely NOTHING about a bunch of assholes going round and round on a damned circle track!! Put that sh*t on ESPN or the SPEED channel so I can avoid it like the plague!!!

LOL

only good parts are the wrecks from going to damn fast,and being so damn close to each other. Going so f**king fast that it's so damn hard to control your damn vehicle for going so fast on such a highly curved oval track. It's bound to happen since you're going damn FASSSSSSSSST!!!!! SERIOUSLY what a ridiculous sport going round and round at 207 miles per hour, I think Carlin had something to say about this sport hmmmmm....BRB.

I'm back I have no sound but this is what he said about it:

LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Irishman View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Account Deleted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 7:08am
SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! If ya'll don't lak NAY-YIS-CAR, ya'll ain't worth a durn!LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2008 at 2:53pm

How to be a NASCAR Driver:

Step 1.) Go fast.

Step 2.) Turn left.

C'mon, man!
Wild Starchild View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Starchild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2008 at 9:51am
Check this out in regards to NASCAR!!!! FUNNY sh*t!!!!

AW DAMN!!!! Wild Shot the friggin TV again!!!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2008 at 8:35pm
Okay, stupid question again:  If I get a digital TV and do NOT hook it up to cable or satellite:  if I just plug it into the wall, will it work, or do I need some type of antenna?  Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic