Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Kobe Bryant

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Kobe Bryant
    Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:08pm
Former Los Angeles Laker and NBA superstar Kobe Bryant has died in a helicopter crash in Los Angeles at the age of 41, along with 5 other people, likely his children.

RIP to him and those who died with him.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 11:47pm
I can't stop crying. This is ripping my heart and soul out

I can't stop crying. This is ripping out my heart and soul.

The artist formerly known as Madawee

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 11:48pm
Stupid smart tablet.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:33am
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

Were you really that big of a fan of his, msmadz?
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:36am
Unbelievable loss to the sports world. I'm shaking right now in disbelief.

RIP, my friend. I hope he's playing ball with Wilt Chamberlain right now in the big NBA stadium in the sky. OH MY GOD. Horrible. CryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 12:43am
RIP

So many great people have been lost this way!  Give me Terra Firma!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:06am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Not really, jimbo but a needless death gets me. My heart is broken for his family..it would be the same sadness if it was anyone of our families.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:26am

And jimbo I. never would go there but who the hell are you to question my feelings? That's a bit bold on your part.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:51am

And jimbo I. never would go there but who the hell are you to question my feelings? That's a bit bold on your part.

I wasn't "questioning your feelings".

It was a completely innocent question.

Maybe you should work on not getting offended so easily.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 3:44pm

RIP, Kobe (but, honestly, I'm more upset about Mr. Peanut).

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 3:46pm
There were 7 other people on board besides Kobe and his daughter.

Nobody's talking about them.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 3:52pm
F*ck them.  They're nobody.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:04pm
They are now.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

LOL

Young athletes, a baseball coach and mothers. What we know about the others on board the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant

Nine people died in the helicopter crash that killed basketball legend Kobe Bryant -- including his daughter, Gianna, and her basketball teammate.
The group was flying to Thousand Oaks, California, Sunday for a basketball game, where Gianna was expected to play and Bryant was expected to coach.
While police have not released the names of the people on board, family members of some victims have confirmed their loved ones' deaths. Here's what we know:

A baseball coach, his wife and daughter

Orange Coast College (OCC) baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife, Keri, and daughter, Alyssa, were aboard the helicopter, said Altobelli's brother, Tony Altobelli.
Gianna and Alyssa were teammates at the Mamba Academy, OCC assistant coach Ron La Ruffa told CNN, and Altobelli would often fly with his daughter to attend the games.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/27/us/victims-helicopter-crash-kobe-bryant/index.html

The question is...Why would the F*ckin' pilot decide to fly in the fog?  I heard that even the police helicopters were grounded because of poor visibility.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

LOL

Young athletes, a baseball coach and mothers. What we know about the others on board the helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant

Nine people died in the helicopter crash that killed basketball legend Kobe Bryant -- including his daughter, Gianna, and her basketball teammate.
The group was flying to Thousand Oaks, California, Sunday for a basketball game, where Gianna was expected to play and Bryant was expected to coach.
While police have not released the names of the people on board, family members of some victims have confirmed their loved ones' deaths. Here's what we know:

A baseball coach, his wife and daughter

Orange Coast College (OCC) baseball coach John Altobelli, his wife, Keri, and daughter, Alyssa, were aboard the helicopter, said Altobelli's brother, Tony Altobelli.
Gianna and Alyssa were teammates at the Mamba Academy, OCC assistant coach Ron La Ruffa told CNN, and Altobelli would often fly with his daughter to attend the games.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/27/us/victims-helicopter-crash-kobe-bryant/index.html

The question is...Why would the F*ckin' pilot decide to fly in the fog?  I heard that even the police helicopters were grounded because of poor visibility.

I heard the same thing.

My guess... Kobe was known to use helicopters to get around Los Angeles quite frequently because he hated the traffic. Whether he owned the helicopter himself and employed the pilot or used a commercial helicopter service and rented them on an as-needed basis, because he was a powerful, mega-wealthy celebrity who was used to getting what he wanted and telling him no created the risk of losing his business to another service, the pilot probably felt great pressure to please him.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 5:11pm
^  I do understand that aspect, but...

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 5:16pm
The pilot has a modern flying machine!  He should have all of the instruments he needs to fly blind!

Terrain! Pull up, Pull up!  He should have found a safe altitude before he started flying across the sky at 100+ MPH.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

The pilot has a modern flying machine!  He should have all of the instruments he needs to fly blind!

Terrain! Pull up, Pull up!  He should have found a safe altitude before he started flying across the sky at 100+ MPH.

Possible mechanical failure?

Overloaded?

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 5:07pm
^ Could be!  It was built in 1991.  I think the investigation is leaning toward pilot error.

They have released audio between ATC and the aircraft, it appears he was below the ability for radar to pick him up (altitude & location).  An eyewitness (so to speak) said he heard the helicopter above him but he could not see it.

Another clip I saw explained VFR (Visual Flight Rules) versus IFR (Instrument Flight Rules).

*The Washington Post wanted to charge me a dollar to view their story!*  SCREW YOU!

- In his final transmission, the pilot of a helicopter that crashed, killing nine people including NBA legend Kobe Bryant, told air traffic control he was climbing to avoid a cloud layer, the National Transportation Safety Board said Monday.

When air traffic control asked the pilot what he planned to do, there was no reply, NTSB board member Jennifer Homendy told reporters. The last radar contact was around 9:45 a.m. (12:45 p.m. ET) Sunday, she said.

Radar data indicated the helicopter climbed 2,300 feet and began a left descending turn, she said.

The NTSB, which is investigating the cause of the crash, detailed the helicopter's final moments before it crashed into a hillside in Calabasas, California, under foggy conditions. Visibility was so low Sunday morning that the Los Angeles Police Department grounded its helicopters, department spokesman Josh Rubenstein said.

The crash impact broke the helicopter into pieces, creating a debris field stretching about 500 to 600 feet, according to Homendy.

"There is (an) impact area on one of the hills and a piece of the tail is down the hill, on the left side of the hill," she said. "The fuselage is over on the other side of that hill, and then the main rotor is about 100 yards beyond that."

When asked about any chance for survival, Homendy said: "It was a pretty devastating accident scene."

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:44am
I heard they're pulling the Mr. Peanut ad.

Jumbo,I'm not offended. For the love of Christ I'm from New York. My skin is a lot tougher than most senthetive types. I probably misread you. All is good my friend.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 2:49am

I heard they're pulling the Mr. Peanut ad.

Jumbo,I'm not offended. For the love of Christ I'm from New York. My skin is a lot tougher than most senthetive types. I probably misread you. All is good my friend.

"Jumbo"???

OK, so I'm a touch on the hefty side, but that's just mean. Ouch

Wink

C'mon, man!
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 3:19am

[QUOTE=msmadz]I heard they're pulling the Mr. Peanut ad.

"Jumbo"???

OK, so I'm a touch on the hefty side, but that's just mean. Ouch

Wink

[/QUOTE

Oh for the love of all that's holy slimbo. I love you.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic