Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mazda "Restaurant space available" ad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jwool767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mazda "Restaurant space available" ad
    Posted: 12 Jan 2020 at 6:36pm
I like Mazda cars, seem to be ok quality and handle well, but the latest commercial for the CX30 makes no sense.
Couple sees "space available" sign, cut to scenes of them buying a small oven, shopping at what appears to be a supermarket meat counter and a specialty olive oil shop, and BOOM ! they have a restaurant up and running.
   What message are they trying to convey about the car ?
Sponsored Links

caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by Jwool767 Jwool767 wrote:

I like Mazda cars, seem to be ok quality and handle well, but the latest commercial for the CX30 makes no sense.
Couple sees "space available" sign, cut to scenes of them buying a small oven, shopping at what appears to be a supermarket meat counter and a specialty olive oil shop, and BOOM ! they have a restaurant up and running.

Yeah, I know, I didn't get it either.  Guess it went over my head...woosh!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 6:04pm
Manifest Destiny? = Life In Prison? Tongue

Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 8:35pm
My first reaction was, "WTF?" Immediately afterward came the inward eye-roll; Mazda seems to have its head in the Eighties, when every company except Yugo was trying to appeal to yuppies and wannabe yuppies. I still remember the Ford Tempo being advertised as "a sophisticated approach to your driving ambition."
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 4:03am
I hope they go out of business!! 😡

jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by ThatNerdInPhilly ThatNerdInPhilly wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

Why, does the model attractive couple sharing knowing looks in their picturesque town opening a successful resturant from scratch on a whim after only what appears to be a day bother you as wildly unrealistic?
Dr. Dan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by Jwool767 Jwool767 wrote:

I suspect that they want us to associate the car with attractive young people who follow their dreams and succeed greatly.

I'd be more interested in whether it's a pleasure to use - no, not breaking the speed limit on the Pacific Coast Highway, but for my daily dull life.
LiMu Emu: the NEXT red meat!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 5:44am
Originally posted by jnoble jnoble wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

Why, does the model attractive couple sharing knowing looks in their picturesque town opening a successful resturant from scratch on a whim after only what appears to be a day bother you as wildly unrealistic?

Because they're laundering drug money through a front business?  LOL  How else do you think they could afford such an expensive car...? 
One Complainer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Complainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:28am
I signed up here just to discuss this. Not only do I find the depicted situation of the ad to be unrealistic, but that it is being played too often. When I first saw it, I tried to make sense of what the couple were doing after seeing the restaurant sign -- showing them driving out to the boonies, THEN getting equipment, supplies and then PRESTO, a beautiful, ideal-looking restaurant is opened, with seemingly no lack of time and doing so flawlessly.    

This is the message that is being relayed, about "how PERFECTLY life goes"...as many ads do. As said, great car and all...but how is it promoting Mazda? Just that an attractive young couple not only have the means for an up-to-date, beautiful vehicle, but also get to open their own business. Just more perfectionism.

The other thing is, that after having recently begun streaming TV, I am already having to adjust, having heard this ad running repeatedly as I was trying to catch up on some news, before I sat down and switched something so it would end. Having seen this ad many other times recently, I had finally JUST HAD IT!
PJH1303 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PJH1303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 4:55am
Wink I just want to know - what is the oven they load into the car's back end? You can almost read the brand...
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 10:40am
I like how they drive out to kingdom come just to get that perfect case of undoubtedly overpriced olive oil, instead of just ordering a few drums of it from some restaurant supply company and having UPS Freight deliver it, like normal people would.

Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Just wanted to say... I HATE THIS SONG! Pinch
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2020 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I like how they drive out to kingdom come just to get that perfect case of undoubtedly overpriced olive oil, instead of just ordering a few drums of it from some restaurant supply company and having UPS Freight deliver it, like normal people would.

Because it HAD to be locally sourced cage free GMO free organic olive oil for their resturant to keep their Uppity Rich White People street cred. What, you think they're going to buy in bulk STANDARD food supplies like the rubes and underclass would eat?
DUH!Wink

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 4:38am
Well of course they are not going to show the couple in their kitchen filling expensively labeled bottles with cut-rate third-world grade olive oil... 
MontanaTrav View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MontanaTrav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:56am
This would be a really bad time to start a restaurant.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

Because they're laundering drug money through a front business?  LOL  How else do you think they could afford such an expensive car...?  

Forget the car.... how else would they be able to afford a case of that unGodly expensive olive oil???? Shocked

I'm surprised they were even able to keep the car after that.

Probably put it up as collateral.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 4:06pm
Olive Oil?

Image result for olive oil pics popeye

If I'm going to spend that kind of money on Olive Oil, she's gonna be extra virgin!  Tongue

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Olive Oil?

Image result for olive oil pics popeye

If I'm going to spend that kind of money on Olive Oil, she's gonna be extra virgin!  Tongue

Whereas Olive Oyl ^^^ can just keep on being her same old slutty Popeye and Brutus shagging self?

Wink

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
jnoble View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnoble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:10pm

Well of course they are not going to show the couple in their kitchen filling expensively labeled bottles with cut-rate third-world grade olive oil... 

I promise you most people would never be able to tell the difference 
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:13pm
I recall an experiment some years ago like that, but with bottled water. The subjects almost always preferred the stuff in the expensive designer water bottles even though the contents had been replaced by some really cheap brand. People are fools.   

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:26pm
A lot of people down here in Fla are pissed off because the Nestle Corp who owns the Zephyrhills (an actual Fla town) bottled water company, are being allowed to extract billions of gallons of water from our underground springs for free, to put in plastic bottles (most of which end up as litter) and sell for a profit.

They've been running these propaganda ads recently....

The reality is more like....

C'mon, man!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 5:09am

I promise you most people would never be able to tell the difference 

I know.  I read a book about the industry.  Most o-oil in the world is cut with really cheap o-oil.  I buy California Olive Ranch (when it's on sale...
HART View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HART Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:28pm
This AD stopped I'm guessing due to covid 
since all restaurants are now dying it would be a bad look 
for the new x-mas ad that features 
the couple of color bringing a snowman out to their parents house 
in the spirit of social distancing 

and of course they kept the inspirational song that exudes youth beauty and wealth

I will forever hate Mazda for this 

we are the music makers
we are the dreamers of the dream
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic