Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Poverty Food'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Have YOU ever eaten 'Poverty Food'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [28.57%]
1 [14.29%]
2 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 9:26pm

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I just had a can of corned beef hash. No egg,If THAT isn't 'Poverty Food', what is?

Top Ramen, maybe.  LOL

I effin' L♥VE ramen noodles sooooo much.

Damn shame I can't eat them anymore.

Stinkin' carbohydrates!!!!

I used to love them till one day, I decided it might be good to mix powdered mashed potatoes and peas into the Ramen.  It wasn't.  Totally gross.  After that, they kinda lost their appeal.

Nowadays, I avoid the stuff due to the sodium content.  Plus, the noodles are supposed to be really bad for one's health (not that that ever stopped me before).

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 4:53pm
I think I'm a walking 'salt-lick', these days. I LOVE Ramen noodles - even broke a molar on some 'jail chips' a few weeks back (reminds me - gotta get that taken care of!), but today I settled for a Taco Hell Breakfast Quesadilla. Oh! The cheese!
With a WaWa 24 ounce coffee with 4 honey packs and some Irish Cream...
I was in pig heaven so much I forgot to ask for a bogus 'Senior Discount'.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2019 at 6:04pm
Mama was kind enough to buy some corn yesterday, add a bunch of real butter and even more salt than I need and I might have the candy corn/burger squirts tomorrow.  But the taste is so heavenly, it's worth it!

Oh!  It's so freaking hot in here, I'm sweating!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:59pm
Something I've never heard of before moving to Wisconsin...

Mama usually just wants a chocolate shake when I go to Culver's, I got my usual. A double deluxe burger and mashed potatoes/gravy. She was feeling a little crazy today!  This worried me a little bit because earlier this year I had to take her to the hospital because she had an allergic reaction to what else...CHEESE!

I give her what she wants, happy wife - happy life!

Introducing:  Cheese Curds!

Our cheese curds are a dairyland delicacy. Made using the freshest, un-aged yellow and white Wisconsin cheddar cheese, deep-fried golden brown for a warm buttery crunch. Provided exclusively to Culver's by La Grander Hillside Dairy in Stanley, Wisconsin.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:13pm

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I just had a can of corned beef hash. No egg,If THAT isn't 'Poverty Food', what is?

Top Ramen, maybe.  LOL

I effin' L♥VE ramen noodles sooooo much.

Damn shame I can't eat them anymore.

Stinkin' carbohydrates!!!!

I used to love them till one day, I decided it might be good to mix powdered mashed potatoes and peas into the Ramen.  It wasn't.  Totally gross.  After that, they kinda lost their appeal.

Nowadays, I avoid the stuff due to the sodium content.  Plus, the noodles are supposed to be really bad for one's health (not that that ever stopped me before).

I still love Ramen noodles and I'm having some spicy Mexican ones right now...with an egg stirred and boiled in. 
The AfgyPup's PTSD must be subsiding a bit as he tells me he pretty much has dropped Ramen noodles, which were one of his basic staples. He washes the noodles really well before boiling them, something I asked him about. He said the Afgy-version of Ramen noodles are often made pretty close to latrines.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2019 at 5:25pm
^ Please see the Country Crock Plant Butter thread.  Or maybe I will just post it.

And don't let your meat loaf! Wink

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 10:30pm
Poverty food? Umm, does fish 'n chips from a roadside lorry count? If it does, then consider me guilty everytime I return to the U.K.
Here in the States I've been guilty of enjoying something called scrapple, known in the Philadelphia region. I don't know if one could consider that "poverty food". I think it's delicious. 
One man gathers what another man spills
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2019 at 6:48pm
Mini Tater Tots!

Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2019 at 8:56pm
WRT "poverty food", I believe that I have experienced the best of both worlds and the worse of both worlds over the last several decades.

Let's start with the worst:
In the late-1980s I was in transitional housing with no ready access to food. So I visited The Bread of Life mission in downtown Seattle. After sitting through a four hour earwhipping (sermon), I was presented with a paper plate containing approx. 3 TBSP smashed potatoes, several pieces of 'mystery meat' topped off with a tablespoon or two of rather lumpy gravy and one piece of somewhat stale bread on the side. Cry
Needless to say, this was both my first AND last visit here; I found other places to get fed without the damn earwhipping and with much better food.

Let's finish with the best:
There was a place called the Downtown Emergency Service Center on First Ave. near Pike St. in downtown Seattle. Although this place wasn't shiny and elegant, you could have your fill of coffee and various kinds of doughnuts without the damn earwhipping that missions would have you endure, you could use the shower if necessary so that you didn't reek, and there were various forms available for you to apply for other services catering to homeless people or people who had somewhere to sleep but no money such as myself. Both the staff and users of the facility were extremely nice and nobody tried to rip you off (of what little you might have had).
I found this place to be a total blessing in disguise!!! Big smile

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2019 at 5:47pm
Poverty food? Maybe not.  It's getting more difficult for me to make a run to the grocery store.  I did it anyway this morning because my wife needed her staple stuff. Swiss Miss, Mocha Latte and she had a special request.  I went down the aisle 2 times!  She wanted some Spray Starch, something for her jewelry thing.  I told the cashier, she called one of the people on the floor. He brought up 4 different brands!

Thank you?

Now! Not poverty food, I just wanted to feed PaW's thread!  I have a nice piece of beef and some potatoes in the crock pot.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 5:30pm
The wife has had this cold for going on a week now.  Poor old girl.  She was looking at some ads in the paper. It made her hungry for something different, she went to our local grocery store.  GO MAMA!  I had only two things on my list and I was going to go tomorrow morning.  Anyway, she just cooked up one of these.

Lasagna with Meat Sauce
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

The wife has had this cold for going on a week now.  Poor old girl.  She was looking at some ads in the paper. It made her hungry for something different, she went to our local grocery store.  GO MAMA!  I had only two things on my list and I was going to go tomorrow morning.  Anyway, she just cooked up one of these.

Lasagna with Meat Sauce

That stuff ain't bad.

I like to add extra meat sauce and cheese.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 4:13pm
Who's hungry!

Prime rib sandwich on French bread and chippers $9.95

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 5:10pm

Who's hungry!

Prime rib sandwich on French bread and chippers $9.95

Damn that looks tasty!!!! Tongue Tongue Tongue

Next time you're over in Oshkosh (by gosh) check out Jersey Mike's Subs.

Try the regular sized Mike's Philly Cheese Steak. 

Best.

Sub.

Ever.

Thumbs Up

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 5:18pm
I saw that on facebook and didn't even realize that place was right here in town.  I predict a carry out order in the near future.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 5:42pm

I saw that on facebook and didn't even realize that place was right here in town.  I predict a carry out order in the near future.

Cool.

Make sure you try the cheese steak.

Reeeaaaalllly good!!!! Tongue

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 5:10pm
There's another place we used to go to meet with friends and we did some carry out orders too...

Friar Tucks

Prime Rib Sandwich - One slice of Prime Rib with sauteed mushrooms and lots of melted Provolone cheese, all together on toasted French Bread with

au jus 10.50

The Little John - Practically a foot of grilled, seasoned beef patty, covered with lots of Cheddar cheese, smothered with sautéed mushrooms and served on a toasted sourdough roll 7.00

"Friar's Club" - We combine turkey, ham, bacon and Swiss cheese, served hot or cold on a croissant with lettuce and tomatoes, and a side of mayo on request 

Sherwood Forest - Thinly sliced roast beef and turkey topped with lots of Swiss cheese, served on toasted marble rye with 1000 Island on the side 8.25

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 5:07pm
I don't think PaW will ever share his thoughts with us again.  Cry

Poverty food!

I have a batch of chili simmering at the perfect temperature.  Mama just had a bowl and she approves this message.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 5:57pm

I don't think PaW will ever share his thoughts with us again.  Cry

Poverty food!

I have a batch of chili simmering at the perfect temperature.  Mama just had a bowl and she approves this message.

I keep looking online for something about Pa but there's nothing about him anywhere.

Maybe he's taking a "rest".....

LOL

C'mon, man!
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 2:37pm
Ever hear of "welfare cheese"?  Made the best grilled cheese I ever ate.  Kind of a cross between American and cheddar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic