Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Poverty Food'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Have YOU ever eaten 'Poverty Food'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [28.57%]
1 [14.29%]
2 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [28.57%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Poverty Food'
    Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 4:02pm
Note: This poll was inspired by TBag's description of SPAM being little more than 'Poverty Food'...Wink
~~~
Food banks run by churches.
Salvation Army.
Public dining for the indigent.
They all eat 'Poverty Food', don't they? That's what you've seen from the outside looking in, but the question is...have YOU ever been on the inside looking out? How was that soup and sandwich?

Actually, I have for extended periods of time, either serving or working with the community. 
'Poverty Food' can be simply amazing - I've had food that I've never found on the market, such as round chocolate bread loafs, which are better than any cake ever had. Sometimes meal halls have INCREDIBLE people come in and prepare amazing and inspirational food. Often you meet some of the most interesting people who are simply down on their luck...and the meet alone can change both of your lives. Get real with yourself, crawl out of your shell of comfort, and try it sometime.

Think the below is funny? 

How about real?

How about up near my home at The Den up in The Great White North?
About 6 minutes in, you will see 'Freeganism' in Buffalo - something close to my heart. I used to pick up, fix, and donate bikes all the time - still have to get back and get 6 or 7 I have in storage out and donated, along with some great furniture...

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:07pm
I made myself a good breakfast!  Bacon, eggs w/cheese, toast and milk.

I shouldn't complain but sometimes I still do.  Poverty slippers?

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:17pm

'Poverty Cap'

I made myself a yogurt and coffee breakfast and my duct tape fix is older than your duct tape fix, so there!Wink.
I SERIOUSLY hope you don't believe I am making fun of 'Poverty Food' and nobody would vote that way if they watched any part of the second two videos...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:25pm
Wait a minute, mister!  You used duct tape on your ball cap? LOL
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 5:29pm
Indeed.
That is the last of the official 'PaWolf' caps...I need a new one SO badlyCry

However...you inspired me to contact the original creator of my cap and I was informed it was discontinued after me and I was more likely to end up being planted with a salmon on my face rather than a new ball cap...but I'm fighting with them over this. I may have to wave dollars at them, doncha know...
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 12:03am
Poverty Bump
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 6:02pm
Is that you, Donna? Wink
I always worry about how we are going to pay our bills!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2019 at 7:11pm
I just had some poverty food for lunch...

Coupla these bad boys with some tater tots.

Fixed em up good on the ol' square griddle pan.

Buttered and toasted the faces of the buns.

Doctored the patties with onion powder and soy sauce.

Topped with some dill relish and mustard.

Not bad.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 11:27am
^  I have one of those in my freezer right now.  I like 'em.

Otherwise, though, the food I actually prefer might be called "poverty food".  Other people call it casseroles.  I call it "Slop".  I always thought that if I ever opened a restaurant, I'd call it "Slop".  I'd serve the food I like---spaghetti, baked ziti, jambalaya, mac and cheese, chili, etc.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 5:47pm
I have yet to find any fresh sweet corn, Mama is in Winneconne right now, one of the local farms usually has a stand over there.  I asked her to buy some if she could.

Poverty Food?

All of these burgers are bound to kill me!

A double deluxe and mashed potatoes w/gravy?  I love Culver's so freaking much because they have mashed potatoes. 

Have you ever tried to nuke french fries?  It's not pretty or good food to eat!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

That's what we have TOASTER OVENS for, my friend.

Doesn't take much longer than a microwave and it makes them crispy again.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  I have one of those in my freezer right now.  I like 'em.

Otherwise, though, the food I actually prefer might be called "poverty food".  Other people call it casseroles.  I call it "Slop".  I always thought that if I ever opened a restaurant, I'd call it "Slop".  I'd serve the food I like---spaghetti, baked ziti, jambalaya, mac and cheese, chili, etc.

Chili?  I just made a fresh batch!
Mama also brought home some fresh corn on the cob.  The combination should be a real challenge for my digestive system!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 5:27pm
I just had a can of corned beef hash. No egg,
If THAT isn't 'Poverty Food', what is?
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

That's what we have TOASTER OVENS for, my friend.

Doesn't take much longer than a microwave and it makes them crispy again.

A toaster oven?  In this tiny kitchen?  Did I ever brag about the TV that is mounted under the cabinet? Tongue

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 8:56am
^^^What is this? The official HGTV commercial? That isn't a poverty kitchen. Lovefests go in other threads - we're talking POVERTY, here.Wink
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 5:16pm
TongueBig smileToday's LUNCH! (with music!Big smileWink). My stomach is SO HAPPY I think I'll roll over and sleep for a few hours...all because of well-made poverty food!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 5:35pm
LOL
That looks 'nasty'!

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

^^^What is this? The official HGTV commercial? That isn't a poverty kitchen. Lovefests go in other threads - we're talking POVERTY, here.Wink

LOL

So...I guess I'm back on double secret picture probation!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 5:55pm

LOL
That looks 'nasty'!

LOL

So...I guess I'm back on double secret picture probation!

LOLNope. You got to eat two bowls of the nasty served by a salvation army girl of my choosing...Wink
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:56am

I just had a can of corned beef hash. No egg,
If THAT isn't 'Poverty Food', what is?

Top Ramen, maybe.  LOL

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 4:10pm

I just had a can of corned beef hash. No egg,If THAT isn't 'Poverty Food', what is?

Top Ramen, maybe.  LOL

I effin' L♥VE ramen noodles sooooo much.

Damn shame I can't eat them anymore.

Stinkin' carbohydrates!!!!

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I just had a can of corned beef hash. No egg,If THAT isn't 'Poverty Food', what is?

Top Ramen, maybe.  LOL

I effin' L♥VE ramen noodles sooooo much.

Damn shame I can't eat them anymore.

Stinkin' carbohydrates!!!!

EmbarrassedBowl Noodle (Hot & Spicy Kimchi) is one of my MANY favorites and I just finished a bowl for brunch.'
Ramen noodles also go by the name of 'Jail Chips'
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:30pm
Mama has to cook her own elbow mac if she wants pasta in her chili.

Poverty food?  Don't you think this c*nt of a mom (times 2) could make a freaking salad to go with her poverty dinner?  Angry

Red Baron TV Spot, The Baroness: War Stories - Screenshot 7

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:40pm

Mama has to cook her own elbow mac if she wants pasta in her chili.

Poverty food?  Don't you think this c*nt of a mom (times 2) could make a freaking salad to go with her poverty dinner?  Angry

If she's too lazy to actually toss a salad, she could've at least picked up a tub of macaroni and cheese or macaroni salad in the deli dept of the store where she bought the frozen pizza.

And I'd hope there's another Red Baron in the oven so they don't all have to share that one scrawny little POS between the entire family.

Cut in six siices, that works out to one slice each for the two kids and two slices each for mom and dad.

That's grounds for divorce afaic.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 5:51pm
^LOL
Divorce, child neglect! My dog got better treatment than that bitches family!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 6:08pm
Well, 7-11 sells 2 bananas for a dollar. I buy them and hand them out t the derelicts and drug addicts hanging around the front or side of ANY 7-11 I stop into around here. I wont give them cash or coinage of any sort as the next time I see them I am certain they will be smoking cigarettes, or something worse that probably isn't legal. 
Be like Paw! I always say (you can sing it if you like):
Here's an idea - what do you say?
Give away a banana a day 
To those that get no pay, 
ok? 
(heck, I don't eat them) 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic