Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Purity Balls" on TLC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Purity Balls" on TLC
    Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 11:21am
Did anyone catch this freak show last night?  Basically, it involves fathers and daughters, dressed to the nines, attending a formal dinner and dance, the climax of which involves the daughters pledging their virginity to their fathers until marriage, and the fathers pledging to war for their daughters' purity!  It also goes into their version of dating, which is "daddy will find a suitable man for me, and if he's interested, he can 'court' me."  Many of the girls interviewed(one was all of ELEVEN years old)even spoke of waiting for their first kiss on their wedding day!

Now, I'm all in favor of encouraging kids to wait for sex, but this is wrong on so many levels! Dead
Sponsored Links

HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Illustrious Video Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 12:34pm
I haven't seen that particular show, but I've seen others that feature those dances, as well as the practice of wearing "purity rings."

I've also seen at least one follow-up report, that showed how many of those kids were unable to keep their promise, and how guilty they felt about it.

It's so sad.  Purity is a great thing; all this rah-rah and pressure about it, though, seems unrealistic.

At some point, perpetuating a fairy tale is doing a disservice to our daughters.  Educate them, instead, and they'll make healthy choices.
Let's try not to be boring, mkay?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 2:44pm
I read the title to this thread & thought it said "purty balls".... as in "Boy, you got some purty balls!!"

I was like.... WTF?????? Shocked
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
70s80s View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70s80s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I read the title to this thread & thought it said "purty balls".... as in "Boy, you got some purty balls!!"

I was like.... WTF?????? Shocked

I thought that's what it said, too. It would have been and improvement!
"Cottage cheese is not a 'feminine product'!"
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 6:53pm
Do young teens even watch TLC? Is there a point to this show, other than preaching abstinence. Like cash and prizes......Big%20smile Each week, a different father/daughter episode?Sleepy
A worthy cause, teaching *purity*, but whats to make viewers come back each week? 
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 7:20pm
My guess is that they're targetting the same parents that make their kids go through this charade.

So they can see how virtuous they are.

Or not.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 7:45pm
So, it sounds like a big double standard. Why not(except killing the show) show little Billy dancing with mom?LOLEmbarrassed
Guess he'd then be the laughing stock back at school....Wink
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Tiz Tiz wrote:

So, it sounds like a big double standard. Why not(except killing the show) show little Billy dancing with mom?LOLEmbarrassed
Guess he'd then be the laughing stock back at school....Wink

Thank you for pointing this out, Tiz!  It is a big double standard.....

Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2008 at 8:18pm
Guess Sarah Palin and family won't be watching this show.....LOL
CatWoman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatWoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 1:01am
Ooooooh, you went there....Wink

N-Dizzle View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N-Dizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 1:31am
Are they anything like Schweaty Balls?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 1:40am
Cheesey Schwetty Balls.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
meinga View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meinga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 5:50am
I saw some of this show last night Smittykins.  The idea may seem alright but there was a real ick factor about these people, especially that one father, he seemed to have a controlling creepiness about him.  Yuck!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2008 at 3:05pm
What a buncha crap.  People who grandstand about their virginity, are probably more about the grandstand than the virginity.  Once the applause dies down...

Still, I guess it's better than other teenage spread-your-legs crap like Gossip Girl.

shebazz View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shebazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008 at 12:07am
I think promising your virginity to your father is way creepier than actually having sex.
HollyRock View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HollyRock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2008 at 7:26pm
Sex, generally - not creepy.

Anything having to do with your father, and the concept of sex - creepy.

Spicy_Meatball View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spicy_Meatball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 3:22am
Originally posted by HollyRock HollyRock wrote:

My guess is that they're targetting the same parents that make their kids go through this charade.

So they can see how virtuous they are.

Or not.

The only reason I'd support this kind of tripe would be if I owned a floral or formal-wear company.   I'd actually move to an evangelical, etc.,  area of the USA  and temporarily enjoy the .....KA-CHING!!!!!  Then I'd move back to where I am.    LOL   I bet Hallmark is working on cards! Here's mine: 

Daddy dear I pledge to thee
My special own Vir..gin..it....y
But if by chance I should faulter....
Forgive me, pregnant, at the altar! 

"Mama Mia! That's a spicy meatball!!" ~~Alka Seltzer Ad
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 7:54pm
LOL

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
No one will date me
So I have my virtue.

Hallmark,
When you want to only send the cherry very best.
ForumAdmin View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForumAdmin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 10:58pm
I thought Purity Balls were like Odor Eaters.
SokMunkie View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SokMunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 11:09pm
The only thing these purity pledges do is make the girl feel like a piece of sh*t whenever she does lose her virginity.

Plus, it seems like a lot of girls are doing it before their hormones really kick in and they are making out with their boyfriends and realize "Oh my god, this feels GREAT!"  I remember being sixteen with my first boyfriend and not knowing that just kissing can turn those switches on.  Then it was like "WHOA!!"
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 11:16pm
I thought this topic was about actual spherical balls that girls use the pledge their virginity until wedding day.

I don't knowhow, they put maybe put their hands on them a pledging their virginity, who knows...

LOL
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Asnotseenontv View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asnotseenontv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 10:50pm
Must we have TV shows on this subject?Ouch

Well, society is becoming one big vagina, just look at the popularity of things like HSM and Hannah Montana.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Asnotseenontv Asnotseenontv wrote:

Must we have TV shows on this subject?Ouch

Well, society is becoming one big vagina, just look at the popularity of things like HSM and Hannah Montana.

Why not? People will go on national tv for anything nowadays. Case in point, Biggest Loser.
A show dedicated for fat Pig people losing weight.
Gretel View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gretel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2008 at 12:43am
There's just something incredibly disturbing when a father is OBSESSED with his young daughter's virginity.  Of course all moms and dads want their daughters to stay innocent as long as possible, but normal parents don't get hung up about it this much.  Even though these girls "pledge" to stay virgins until their wedding night, it doesn't stop them from being sexually active in other ways.  I wonder if the dads are cool with that?
The mind is a labyrinth
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic