Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Dr. John (Mac Rebennack)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Dr. John (Mac Rebennack)
    Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 2:43am
Disapprove I sure am getting tired of people rolling over and earning their MudMonkey Merit Badges! TODAY we lost one of the great ones who many of us have been fans of for at least a half a century. He was 77.
Thank You for all of the great entertainment, Dr. John. Rest well...but who's going to take your place? I can't think of a good reason to have a decent hangover anymore....Cry

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2019 at 3:36am
Awww, damn.

One of my favorites.

At a time like this, there's only one thing you can do....

RIP Dr John.    
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 1:17am
I saw him when he played in Katonah, N.Y. that was the same evening some whacked out aunt decided to filet her nieces or nephews while the parents were at the same concert. To add more spice to the story, they lived across the street from Martha Stewart. Google that if you're so inclined (why yes, I'm lazy). Some entitled twit sitting in front of us wanted to know if beloved and I were Cajun since we knew the words to the songs. Holy sh*t. What a surreal evening.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2019 at 8:30pm
You want surreal? Well, aside 'Auntie Acid' filleting her nieces and nephews (on the bad trip), how many folks took the good trip and realize how much work he did with other artists? What an amazing list. Take a look at his 'Other contributions' on Wikipedia...yea, you did see 'Rolling Stones' in there - you saw everyone in there, other than Elton John.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 3:56pm
He was such a great entertainer, and he was also a very nice man. I met him when he was booked in NYC, and I cooked for him. I knew he was Cajun, so I came out to ask him if he wanted his food spicey, he chuckled and said that New York spicey is different than New Orleans spicy (I liked how he combined the two words of New Orleans to make it sound like one....Norlins, is what it sounded like). He heard my accent and asked if I was gonna make him fish'n'chips. I asked if he'd like that, he said "hell yeah, I would". So in the fancy restaurant which featured French cuisine, I proceded to make fish'n'chips. Luckily I had some haddock fillets, so it was a breeze for me. I also made some Cajun blackened shrimp as an appetizer, I learned that recipe from a chap I knew from NOLA , his name was Louie Laveau but was known as Roux-Roux. 
Mac loved the food, and he invited me to New Orleans for a visit. 
He was such a sweet guy, and we lost someone very special with his passing.
Rest in eternal peace dear friend.
One man gathers what another man spills
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 4:05pm
It was probably eating that kind of deep fried, fat-laden food that did him in!!!

Way to go, Jimmy!!!!

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

It was probably eating that kind of deep fried, fat-laden food that did him in!!!

Way to go, Jimmy!!!!

Be nice, Jimbo.  Great story, Jimmy.

I live for all of the things that are bad for me.  When I die, I will have a happy face and full tummy!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2019 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

...(I liked how he combined the two words of New Orleans to make it sound like one....Norlins, is what it sounded like). ...

Yeah, that's the way they say it down there.  I used to say it New Orleeeens, myself.  But I can't really bring myself to say Norlins, so I compromise by pronouncing it New Orlins.

RIP to Dr. John.  I guess "Doctor, heal thyself" isn't something that'll work forever.

msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 12:56am

He was such a great entertainer, and he was also a very nice man. I met him when he was booked in NYC, and I cooked for him. I knew he was Cajun, so I came out to ask him if he wanted his food spicey, he chuckled and said that New York spicey is different than New Orleans spicy (I liked how he combined the two words of New Orleans to make it sound like one....Norlins, is what it sounded like). He heard my accent and asked if I was gonna make him fish'n'chips. I asked if he'd like that, he said "hell yeah, I would". So in the fancy restaurant which featured French cuisine, I proceded to make fish'n'chips. Luckily I had some haddock fillets, so it was a breeze for me. I also made some Cajun blackened shrimp as an appetizer, I learned that recipe from a chap I knew from NOLA , his name was Louie Laveau but was known as Roux-Roux. 

Now that,my friends,is one hell of an awesome story. Way to go,Jimmy!

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2019 at 1:28am
Originally posted by msmadz msmadz wrote:

Now that,my friends,is one hell of an awesome story. Way to go,Jimmy!
Couldn't have said it better, Maddy...let me simply 'second it'.

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 3:12am
When I cooked for him it was back in the 1980's, Jimbo. He was a Cajun gent, and their cuisine in that region is known for spicy food as well as rather fattening food. When I make my fish'n'chips I do not deep fry them. There is a way to create that flavour in a safer way, with less fat. Doc enjoyed his meal very well, and asked me how I did it without deep frying. I told him that I don't give away secrets, and he chuckled and told me I sound like his Mama!
I showed him how to do it when I visited him at his home.
One man gathers what another man spills
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2019 at 3:50am

When I cooked for him it was back in the 1980's, Jimbo. He was a Cajun gent, and their cuisine in that region is known for spicy food as well as rather fattening food. When I make my fish'n'chips I do not deep fry them. There is a way to create that flavour in a safer way, with less fat. Doc enjoyed his meal very well, and asked me how I did it without deep frying. I told him that I don't give away secrets, and he chuckled and told me I sound like his Mama!
I showed him how to do it when I visited him at his home.

Wait a second.... woah!! Visited him at his home??? This story just leapt to the number 1 all time awesome story! (Gets on knees and starts bowing) we're not worthy!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic