Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chantix - Slow Turkey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 7:52pm
Where did I say I was right?  I said right from the start that I was basing this solely on my own experience, and that it's at least worth a try.

Sponsored Links

Admiral Berg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Admiral Berg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2019 at 8:17pm
You guys are still doing this huh?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Where did I say I was right?  I said right from the start that I was basing this solely on my own experience, and that it's at least worth a try.

Actually, I agree with you...but it, as even with anything else, will fail if the individual does not really wish to quit. Being I could see it in myself for so long, it still remains easy to spot a 'style quitter', or someone who has had the fear of God instilled by a doctor visit, but ultimately will not quit.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2019 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Admiral Berg Admiral Berg wrote:

Admiral Berg View Drop Down 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Welcome back. 
You aren't new and I see FA decided to not permanently ban you...
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 8:43am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Actually, I agree with you...but it, as even with anything else, will fail if the individual does not really wish to quit. Being I could see it in myself for so long, it still remains easy to spot a 'style quitter', or someone who has had the fear of God instilled by a doctor visit, but ultimately will not quit.

Yeah, I was pretty much just sick of the whole thing.  And I'd been sick of it for a long time.  So when I did finally quit, I was totally ready.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 4:24pm

Did you get promoted from Captain straight to Admiral, or did you have to rise through the ranks like everyone else?
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2019 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

Nah, I didn't have any luck with Chantix because I couldn't take it anymore after the rash thing.  Then I tried the patch, which worked pretty good.  I was able to go to an e-cig after that.  Not a great solution but at least I'm off cigarettes.  But I agree with you Pa, life just isn't as much fun anymore.  I used to sit around with hubby by the pool and have a few beers and relax with some cigarettes and now I just sit in the house watching horrible commercials on TV.  He still smokes so it's hard to be around his cigarette smoke.  (We don't smoke in the house.)  Sorry...kind of a downer post, I know.  Ermm

I quit last February.  Never even tried before (and I smoked 1+ packs/day for 43 years!), but I had no problems---no withdrawal, no nicotine fits, no strong urges, nothing.  I think what I had done was convince myself I no longer liked to smoke, so by the time I did quit, I was completely ready, completely "done" with smoking.

Once in awhile, I wonder what it'd be like to have a smoke "for old time's sake", but I do worry that that might be the catalyst that sends me back to the tobaccy habit.  I just don't wanna tempt fate, so I don't.

Originally posted by Sunny Sunny wrote:

Congratulations Thor! 
Regarding tempting fate, yeah that's one of the biggest hurdles.   It's like a pizza commercial. You're sitting around, not thinking about pizza, until there it is gooey cheese and all, in HD, and suddenly you find yourself grabbing the phone and ordering a pizza.

So with cigarettes, what worked for me is not to entertain the thought.  Break the mental habit. I would go take a walk and breathe the fresh air - that helped.   Put a little incense out in the air.   Remember how nasty cigarettes smell - hair, clothing, breath.   (Because  kissing a smoker is not sexy). I would change the thought to how good healthy food (for instance fruit) would smell or taste.  One trick is to take something nasty from cigarettes (like filters or butts or a dirty ashtray) and put water in it to make it even grosser, and put it next to a fresh-air window as a reminder of how I don't want to smell. 

I had a few smoking dreams over the years that were so realistic I wasn't sure I hadn't smoked! 

It's been a great decision to stay stopped. I was in my twenties and could barely breathe from being a heavy smoker and thought, oh this isn't right.  Back then everyone smoked so I just went with the herd. Quit and never regretted it a single day.

I "quit" over the course of a couple of decades, but then I wasn't trying to quit, just cut down, which I did with pretty good success.

Part of my motivation was health and the other part was trying not to waste cigarettes and money. I had read that the average smoker wastes over half of every pack of cigarettes they smoke, by either just smoking out of pure habit rather than for enjoyment, or by letting many of the ones they smoke, just burn up in an ashtray.

I'd see my buddies doing things like working under the hood of a car or mowing the lawn with a cigarette hanging out of their mouths just to have one. I figured if I was going to smoke, I'd only smoke when and where I'd actually enjoy it. That meant only having one if I was sitting down and relaxing somewhere and only if I had one of my favorite beverages to go along with it.

Coke & a smoke. Coffee & a smoke. Etc, etc.

For about a decade or so, I smoked between 3 and 5 cigarettes a day, then it went down to one or two, then for a few years it was one every couple of months or so. About a pack a year.

Finally I just lost interest altogether.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 9:01am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Part of my motivation was health and the other part was trying not to waste cigarettes and money. I had read that the average smoker wastes over half of every pack of cigarettes they smoke, by either just smoking out of pure habit rather than for enjoyment, or by letting many of the ones they smoke, just burn up in an ashtray.

Yeah, that was part of my motivation, too.  I'd begun asking myself (as I was smoking) if I was really enjoying that smoke.  I knew I wasn't, and that it was all becoming just a waste of money.  I got tired of that realization and figured the logical next step was to finally quit.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 5:31pm

Yeah, that was part of my motivation, too.  I'd begun asking myself (as I was smoking) if I was really enjoying that smoke.  I knew I wasn't, and that it was all becoming just a waste of money.  I got tired of that realization and figured the logical next step was to finally quit.

And that goes hand in hand with asking yourself if you really are craving a cig in the first place...which just answering that question makes it easy to walk away. 
One other thing: If anyone smokes and plans to donate plasma within a few hours after, a cigarette will increase your blood pressure and raise the possibility you cannot donate...which will lead to a 2-week ban (usually a loss of $150 tax-free dollars).
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 5:37pm

Did you get promoted from Captain straight to Admiral, or did you have to rise through the ranks like everyone else?
The next promotion for a US Navy Captain (O-6) is Rear Admiral (O-7).Wink
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

LOL

It appears that PaW and Jimbo know something about this so called new member.  Feel free to fill me in.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

LOL

It appears that PaW and Jimbo know something about this so called new member.  Feel free to fill me in.
This old-timer is a genuine 'Starship Trooper' from the 'Enterprise', and if that doesn't quite conflict...
unwanted1 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unwanted1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 8:09am
In the early 1970's, I was a respiratory therapist in a major hospital on 3rd shift. We had a prominent patient  in ICU for his emphysema and he was on a ventilator 24 hrs. a day. He would write notes to us and nursing asking to be taken off of oxygen so he could smoke.  He eventually died in his 50's. I have wondered since what kind of hold smoking had on people. I finally realized that people are just too weak or too weak willed to stop and also why they ever started at all. I have never started at 71 yrs. old. I could never stand the smell. When I was younger, my family lived in a 3 bdrm house and I always slept with my door shut. I could always tell when my mother was up because I could smell her smoke from under the door. She finally died years later from lung cancer, but, about 6 months earlier, I asked her why she didn't quit. Her answer was "why should I when I have smoked for over 20 yrs.   
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2019 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Dr. Dan Dr. Dan wrote:

Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Number 4 in the 'slow turkey' series!

I actually like the turkey video. The CGI is quite realistic, anthropomorphic bird notwithstanding. Cool imitation classic Ford Bronco.
They are playing this commercial too much!  Did anybody else notice the big, stupid bird turned on the alarm for the old Bronco at .52 seconds?  Uuuuh,  the top is off!

Ad Hock View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Hock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by Dejoh Dejoh wrote:

I think the "Slow Turkey" commercial is actually pretty good.  Lots of artistic talent went into the production.  Other than the usual gibberish of see your doctor if you have mental illness. Its relaxful.

I've gotta agree. As a graphic artist, I'm impressed by the little things like the reflections in the side of the Bronco, teh attention to shadows, etc. Actually, I spent so much time admiring the animation that it was a while before I realized what they are selling!

O.K., It's just a little pinprick . . .
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 10:30pm
[QUOTE=aka ron]...Did anybody else notice the big, stupid bird turned on the alarm for the old Bronco at .52 seconds?  Uuuuh,  the top is off![/tube]

LOLI take it some may be familiar with 'remote engine stop boxes'?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic