Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kraft Mac & Cheese 9/11 song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sharonite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kraft Mac & Cheese 9/11 song
    Posted: 01 Apr 2019 at 8:33pm
https://ispot.tv/a/Iuyh

First of all, this commercial makes no sense.

Second, nearly two decades later and that song still feels like a punch in the gut every time I hear it.
Sponsored Links

MrCleveland View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrCleveland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 12:18am
Originally posted by sharonite sharonite wrote:

https://ispot.tv/a/Iuyh

First of all, this commercial makes no sense.

Second, nearly two decades later and that song still feels like a punch in the gut every time I hear it.

Page isn't working...can you elaborate please...is it that Alan Jackson song?
Thank God for kids who love Obscure Things.

Lee Hazelwood (1929-2007)
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 5:45pm
I think this is it...

This is one of those songs that does deserve its place in time.  Like this one!

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 7:45pm
^^^ Thumbs Up
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 3:35am
It doesn't make sense. And yes, this Enya song..I sadly associate it with Sept. 11. There are a few songs I immediately think of that day when I hear it.

But I swear 99.9% of ads today target a younger, dumber generation. They would never make the connection. Hell, there are kids graduating high school, maybe a few already in college that weren't even born on 9/11/2001. That for me simply doesn't register.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 1:48pm
DisapproveYeeeaaaaaa....I think I get the message - if the 9/11 terrorists had originally been from a Northern Town and had Kraft Mac & Cheese for breakfast, we'd still have the twin towers (a good breakfast is the cornerstone to a good day and better attitude).
Wink
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 12:28pm

I fail to see the connection between the events of 9/11 and this song from 1985 (and an entirely different country from the US, and having absolutely nothing to do with 9/11, I might add). Maybe there was something I missed or simply don't remember where this song was used in a movie about or commemoration of 9/11 a very long time ago. I sincerely have no idea.

If I heard it at the time, I probably forgot about it quickly, because it seemed cheap and manipulative to employ such a corny, readymade "emotive/transcendent" song (the original context of which had already been long lost on we Americans). It is a song that I'd always associated with pretentious, 90's New Age Yoga culture and Pure Moods CD's prior to whatever you guys are remembering in connection with 9/11:

Their relation is/was transitory at best. Neither is inseparable from the other. 9/11 has no "claim", culturally or otherwise, to this (frankly, lame and overwrought, but also immensely popular and well-known) song that came out ~15 years before 9/11 even happened.

This a silly commercial, but there's nothing disrespectful/offensive about using the song in it. To believe otherwise says more about the person making the claim than it does any "ignorant millennials" (and I hate millennials).

Ask a British person what they associate it with. I guarantee you, it's not 9/11.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 5:56pm
The Raytownian nailed it!  I didn't see the connection either. What a huge year for me/we! 2001

My current wife and I took a cruise in the Bahamas on our birthdays 1/13 and 1/14/2001!

DE was killed at Daytona!   I quit my job and made plans to move to Wisconsin the week of 9/11.

Lee Greenwood was able to milk the catastrophe to the hilt.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by the raytownian the raytownian wrote:

I fail to see the connection between the events of 9/11 and this song from 1985...  
ConfusedMaybe it isn't meant for you to understand - why do you even have to? Maybe YOU don't know what another was up to at that time and how it all ties in for them. Truthfully, I don't either...but I'm not about to discredit anyone - no, heck no.
Heck, you want to discuss 9/11, sense and sensibilities?
For me? It was my daughter's birthday, we even had grandparents at home, everyone at the table that morning, Mom bringing out the cake, and the big screen in the background...I still remember not being able to turn off the idiot box quick enough. As a joke, Mama had used black frosting on the cake. I had friends there - everyone got damaged that day.
~~~~~
THE COMMERCIAL?
I fully understand it...probably because I had finicky children and getting them to eat was often an art...and mac & cheese is always a winner. Why? The brain interprets cheese the same way it does drugs or sex.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

The brain interprets cheese the same way it does drugs or sex.

OMG!!  Is that why I'm having these sex dreams every time I have cheddar cheese and Triscuits for a snack at night???
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 12:15am
Originally posted by caroln242 caroln242 wrote:

OMG!!  Is that why I'm having these sex dreams every time I have cheddar cheese and Triscuits for a snack at night???
HugA woman after my own heart! Let's just ensure those would be black pepper & olive oil Triscuits and Vermont Sharp Cheddar...Wink
~~~
The bit about the brain is true and quite interesting when it comes down to the subject of how what we DO NOT eat is what kills us...(cucumbers, anyone?)
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 5:24am
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

The Raytownian nailed it!  I didn't see the connection either. What a huge year for me/we! 2001

My current wife and I took a cruise in the Bahamas on our birthdays 1/13 and 1/14/2001!

DE was killed at Daytona!   I quit my job and made plans to move to Wisconsin the week of 9/11.

Lee Greenwood was able to milk the catastrophe to the hilt.

"God Bless the U.S.A." is an American patriotic song written and recorded by country music artist Lee Greenwood, and is considered to be his signature song. The first album it appears on is 1984's You've Got a Good Love Comin'. It reached No. 7 on the Billboard magazine Hot Country Singles chart when originally released in the spring of 1984, and was played at the 1984 Republican National Convention with President Ronald Reagan and First Lady Nancy Reagan in attendance, but the song gained greater prominence during the Gulf War in 1990 and 1991, as a way of boosting morale.

The popularity of the song rose sharply after the September 11 attacks and during the 2003 invasion of Iraq, and the song was re-released as a single, re-entering the country music charts at No. 16 and peaking at No. 16 on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart in 2001.[2] The song was also re-recorded in 2003 and released as "God Bless the U.S.A. 2003".

I remember first hearing it in 1991 when I was at a military school in Virginia and the Navy ships were returning from Dessert Storm. We checked out the Whitney Houston concert at Oceana Naval Air Station while visiting Virginia Beach. With nearly 500,000 attending I was surprised she was less than one inch tall! 
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 2:55pm

Quote OMG!!  Is that why I'm having these sex dreams every time I have cheddar cheese and Triscuits for a snack at night???
HugA woman after my own heart! Let's just ensure those would be black pepper & olive oil Triscuits and Vermont Sharp Cheddar...Wink
~~~
The bit about the brain is true and quite interesting when it comes down to the subject of how what we DO NOT eat is what kills us...(cucumbers, anyone?)
[/QUOTE]

Absolutely Vermont sharp cheddar!  But after trying several different varieties of Triscuit, I favor original.  I tend to be a purist with certain foods. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 3:38pm

HugA woman after my own heart! Let's just ensure those would be cracked black pepper & olive oil Triscuits and Vermont Sharp Cheddar...Wink
~~~

Absolutely Vermont sharp cheddar!  But after trying several different varieties of Triscuit, I favor original.  I tend to be a purist with certain foods.  
Yes...as I generally am, but I must say, this is one exception where the altered product is actually so much more heavenly...and, you know what? Have I SUCH a deal for you! 'Buy a Box, Try a Box' and if you don't like them, simply send me the uneaten portion and no harm done. Don't forget the Cabot Vermont White Extra Sharp Cheddar, though...otherwise I would actually have to get my lazy self up and trot down to Food Lion and not be able to spend your money go buy my own...Wink
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 5:51pm

HugA woman after my own heart! Let's just ensure those would be cracked black pepper & olive oil Triscuits and Vermont Sharp Cheddar...Wink
~~~

Yes...as I generally am, but I must say, this is one exception where the altered product is actually so much more heavenly...and, you know what? Have I SUCH a deal for you! 'Buy a Box, Try a Box' and if you don't like them, simply send me the uneaten portion and no harm done. Don't forget the Cabot Vermont White Extra Sharp Cheddar, though...otherwise I would actually have to get my lazy self up and trot down to Food Lion and not be able to spend your money go buy my own...Wink

I don't mean to drag this on forever BUT....I can't believe we actually buy the same brand of cheese.  Cabot Vermont White Extra Sharp Cheddar!  Absolutely addictive, isn't it?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 5:55pm

~~~

I don't mean to drag this on forever BUT....I can't believe we actually buy the same brand of cheese.  Cabot Vermont White Extra Sharp Cheddar!  Absolutely addictive, isn't it?
Absolutely! If not their 'Seriously Sharp', which *I* think would make a MUCH better Mac & Cheese over the standard Kraft offering.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 5:55pm
Image result for cheese head pic
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 6:13pm

Wink Ya got a degree in cheese there, aka?LOL
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 6:22pm
LOL
I'll gladly trade you a slice of cheese for a hamburger!

Image result for popeye- wimpy eating a burger pics

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 6:36pm
Just to keep things fresh and real!

hERE'S THE ORIGINAL VIDEO. Confused  Freaking cap lock!

caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:51pm

I think he's calling us cheese heads.  That's okay.  Been called worse...Ermm
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:03pm

I think he's calling us cheese heads.  That's okay.  Been called worse...Ermm
LOLBig smileWinkneeeeehhhhhhhh....I don't think so. He's just another kind-hearted soul who lives way up north in akaLand, where cheese is a national treasure...just another cheese fan on the outside looking in, wishing HE could go to 'Cheese School', just like the rest of us.

In faaaaaact! I just went looking for THIS link - my favorite affordable cheese shop - heck! The whole grocery store! - on this big ol'goofy earth...and wouldn't you know just by looking up their cheese selection, I see they are actually building their first store in the south, about 20 minutes from where I am sitting now! (alas, no - it will not be enough to keep me here when the time comes to head back to 'The Den on Wolfy Island').

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 7:47am
Yes!  No offense Caroln.

Origins. The use of the term "cheesehead" as a derogatory word for Wisconsinites originated with Illinois football and baseball fans to refer to opposing Wisconsin sports fans. The term, however, was quickly embraced by Wisconsinites and is now a point of pride.
caroln242 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caroln242 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:02pm

Yes!  No offense Caroln.

Origins. The use of the term "cheesehead" as a derogatory word for Wisconsinites originated with Illinois football and baseball fans to refer to opposing Wisconsin sports fans. The term, however, was quickly embraced by Wisconsinites and is now a point of pride.

No offense taken!  Actually, I'm a Wisconsinite at heart.  Originally from Chicago, I used to visit friends and family in beautiful Wisconsin a lot.  Aside from the snow and the high taxes, my favorite state.  Love those cheese curds and  Beer.
Sunny View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:12am
Actually, isn't there some research about cheese causing vivid dreams?  Not sure if cheddar is one of those though.

Regarding the commercial, what bugs me about it isn't the song.  It's the message that you should just give up and give in and feed your kids junk because it's easier and it's what they want.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic