Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Things you hate about your house, apt..Living arra
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Things you hate about your house, apt..Living arra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things you hate about your house, apt..Living arra
    Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 6:06pm
We've had our share of problems with this town and this house. I really think that who ever designed the entrance to the front door was some part of an ass menagerie!  It's a cluster f*ck of gutters meeting at the absolute worst place.  Yes, those are leaves in the top gutter.  I need the extension ladder to reach those leaves.  Angry  Wait till you see the stupid, fake soffit extensions! 

Sponsored Links

Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 2:41pm
I'm guessing that there was no dishwasher in the original build of our house, and that one was added when the kitchen was remodeled sometime in the 70s. (based on the style of the cabinets, I have no idea when it was done. ) Personally, as a right-hander, I hold work in my left hand and perform the task with my right... so the dish would be in my left hand, the brush or sponge in my right. The dishwasher was put in on the right side of the sink (it would have fit on either side.) This means I have to cross my body to put any dish I rinse/wash into the dishwasher. Minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless.

That's not the worst part, though. The worst part was discovered when the inlet valve of the dishwasher failed to shut off... overfilling the dishwasher, and flooding the kitchen. I open the cabinet under the sink to shut off water to the dishwasher, and... no shutoff valve. Fffffff! It didn't take long to realize that I had to shut off the main to the house, and didn't take long to get to it and shut it off, but when your kitchen is flooding, every gallon counts.

So, water to the entire house shut off and water in the kitchen shop-vac'd, mopped, toweled up, I begin the task of pulling out the dishwasher to find the problem. Once the dishwasher was out, and in the middle of the floor, I look back into the cavity and what do I see? Yep. Shutoff valve.

Some genius decided that the shutoff valve needed to be behind the appliance that it supplied, creating a plumbing paradox. The water needs to be shut off to remove the dishwasher, and the dishwasher needs to be removed to shut off the water.

It's still like that, because now I know and will go straight to the garage if it happens again, but the valve will definitely be moved if/when we remodel.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 6:03pm
When we bought this place there was a mini-fridge in the opening for the dishwasher. It is/was on the right side of the sink.  It didn't take too long for me to buy a dishwasher and hire someone to install it.

Another thing that annoys me...The previous owners were looking for a quick and cheap fix for the kitchen, dining room and hallway floor. They put down this crappy indoor/outdoor carpeting! Maybe?  The floors felt too cold with vinyl?  Anyway, I wanted to see what was under the carpet.  I mean, isn't it a rule of thumb?  You want some sort of hard floor surface in the kitchen and bathrooms.  As it turns out, I can see the original vinyl floor in the utility room and 2 layers of underlayment and vinyl in the hall way with the I/O carpeting installed on top of that.  They even had to hack up the baseboards to get things to line up. Angry

Oh, and my 'stupid soffit' design?  I've never seen a house with these crazy protrusions!  Nice clean lines, that's what I like! Not bulky unnecessary pieces of lumber and shingle popping out of the house. Wacko

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 3:06pm
We had some pretty heavy rain yesterday, the gutter over the front door was overflowing and the wind was making the water hit the front door. It was time to do something about it.  Any water that the gutters collect goes into drains that take the water to the channel.  Any overflow makes its way to the foundation drainage system and eventually to the sump pump.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic