Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

(Smokers) What are your smoking triggers?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: (Smokers) What are your smoking triggers?
    Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 3:22am
(Smokers) What are your smoking triggers?
That is, what gives you a strong urge to light a "siggeret"?

Mine are (in no particular order):

After leaving a shit (I know it's supposed to be, "taking a shit" but in the immortal words of the late-great comedian George Carlin, "you don't TAKEshit, you LEAVEshit!!!)

After using the shower

After shaving

After eating 

Right after I get up in the morning.

Right before going to bed at night

So, what are YOUR smoking triggers?

Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 8:42am
WinkI doubt anyone would admit they smoke, Ang - too many hypocrites in denial believing it would be similar to admitting they have leprosy or aids...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 11:44am
I used to smoke, at least one and upwards of two packs a day. My main triggers were (in chronological order):

1) Waking up. They sat on my night stand and the first thing I did after my feet hit the floor was light up.

2) Food. This one could be repeated in various other places on the list, but won't be. I had to have a cigarette after eating anything/any time.

3) Boredom. Got a few extra minutes? Need something to do with that idle hand? Marlboro is for you!

4) Laziness. Any time I felt like walking away from work for a few minutes, go outside and have a smoke. Easily bought me 10 minutes of much-needed, lung-clogging time away from my duties.

(heh heh... doodie)

5) Drinking. (when I drank) I was the proverbial freight train when I was drinking, practically chain smoking.

Do I miss it? Not one bit.

Sure, I did for the first few months, and it was the hardest thing I ever quit... but food tastes better, my wallet is fatter, and if I fall through thin ice I'll live 23 seconds longer than a smoker. Just enough time to wish I had a cigarette.
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 1:40am
Funny that I'd even think about posting this topic when I did...barely three hours later, I'd have my last smoke! I've gone for the last 19+ hours without lighting up, and have yet to even crave a smoke. They're to my immediate right but I've not yet even had a slight urge to reach for one. Clap

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 9:04am
On 2/9, it'll be a year since I took my last puff.

Angry, I never had any major urge to light up either, even w/o any help...and it's been almost a year!  Keep up the good work.  And think of all the money you'll be saving.  For me, that's been about $3,000+.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 2:46pm
In my younger days, the biggest trigger was drinking. If I was out in a bar drinking beer, I had to have my smokes. And invariably, I'd wake up the next day feeling like a road paving crew had spent all night laying asphalt up and down my windpipe.

Later on, after I quit drinking, my main trigger was getting high on weed. If I got a weed buzz, I had to have a smoke after about 15 or 20 minutes.

But... I also had to have a soda with it. I could not and WOULD NOT smoke a cigarette without a Coke or a Pepsi while buzzed.

If I was not high (like at work for instance), I had to have a cup of coffee with cream and sugar in the opposite hand of the one which held my cigarette. I'd have two smokes a day at work. One on my mid morning break and one at lunch. Both with coffee.

No matter how badly I was craving a cigarette, if I didn't have either a soda pop or a cuppa java to drink with it... NO CIGARETTE!!!!

It was an unbreakable rule.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 5:27pm
Do I smoke after sex?  I don't know, I never looked! Triggers? When was the last time I had a cigarette?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 5:56pm
Being my work is extremely stressful and I'm a perfectionist by nature, I still recall the days when we could (if we did) smoke at work and keep a couple of bottles in our office desk drawers (if we did) and have private secretarial consultations (if we did - *I* never considered it) which may have lead to 'extended families' (which I knew an idiot who didn't stop with one kid by his already-married secretary, they had three together to mix in with their own families. In conditions like this, everyone smoked all the time. What they were smoking depended upon the stress and the dress, so it went from cigs to joints to summer sausages, depending upon who/what/when.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

On 2/9, it'll be a year since I took my last puff.

Angry, I never had any major urge to light up either, even w/o any help...and it's been almost a year!  Keep up the good work.  And think of all the money you'll be saving.  For me, that's been about $3,000+.

Big smileSeriously? CONGTRATS! One year and one day!

DisapproveSome of the stresses in life have lead me back to the occasional puff so I can check my gag reflexes.

Having said that, I seem to recall you had a voluptuous oriental gurlyfriend who liked to cook goat on the sidewalks, or something like that, back in SanFran?
Wasn't she a smoker? I heard this crap has a way of 'aging' a person...

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:51pm
My heart flutters, we cough a lot.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 7:05pm
Just stop before it is too late...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic