Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Marty Balin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Marty Balin
    Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 8:13am
Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 9:55am
The Airplane was always one of my fave bands---probably my #1 in the late 60s and early 70s---even into the Starship years!

RIP, Marty.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 1:25pm
I was never much of a fan of the band, but it's always sad to hear of the passing of yet another star from our era.

RIP to him.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 5:34pm
I was never a fan of the band and got really sick of Grace Slick really quick.

RIP to Marty Balin
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I was never a fan of the band and got really sick of Grace Slick really quick.

RIP to Marty Balin
Marty got sick of Grace Slick real quick too.  They had a contentious relationship and he is alleged to be the only member of JA (I don't know about JS) that she didn't sleep with.  I ran across a quote from Marty from a long time ago that he said he wouldn't even let her bl*w him.  Embarrassed

Anyhoo, I do love Grace although she did what a lot of humans do, she f**ked up, and got onstage drunk once or however many times, but she's pretty cool now.  Love her voice and I thought she was beautiful.

I loved Marty's voice and his vocals on their major hits.  My favorite all-time JS song with MB lead singing is "With Your Love."  I love all his songs, but that one is No. 1 to me, followed by the usual suspects which includes "Miracles" and "Runaway" of the Jefferson Starship incarnation.

Without Marty Balin, there never would've been Jefferson Airplane, as he started the band (or co-founded).

Poor Marty had had a rough couple of these past two years with health struggles.  I won't comment on the merits of his lawsuit against the hospital he recently filed.  My only consolation is that he's not suffering anymore, is resting in peace, and had his wife by his side when he passed away.

Cry  Heart
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:43am
I was a huge Jefferson Airplane fan in the 1960's and early 1970's, and Marty was a great singer! Marty even jumped off stage to help a confrontation at the Altamont Concert in 1969. He was stomped to the ground by the Hell's Angels, and had to get medical attention for the injuries. That was part of the reason why he left J.A., he didn't reaquaint with the band until they became Jefferson Starship.
His recent health troubles were tragic, maybe it's a blessing that he passed away and hopefully he's resting in peace.
I'll always be a Marty Balin fan!
One man gathers what another man spills
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 5:18am
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

I was a huge Jefferson Airplane fan in the 1960's and early 1970's, and Marty was a great singer! Marty even jumped off stage to help a confrontation at the Altamont Concert in 1969. He was stomped to the ground by the Hell's Angels, and had to get medical attention for the injuries. That was part of the reason why he left J.A., he didn't reaquaint with the band until they became Jefferson Starship.
His recent health troubles were tragic, maybe it's a blessing that he passed away and hopefully he's resting in peace.
I'll always be a Marty Balin fan!
Yes, Marty Balin was up close and personal at the Altamont Concert just as you say.  He had a hero's heart.  After reading some more, apparently his wife called an ambulance and he died on his way to the hospital.  His recent health troubles were tragic, as you say.  Marty could sing like an angel; I'm sure he's with them now.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 8:53am
I loved the Airplane (and very early Starship), but Balin wasn't my fave member.  I wasn't listening to the band for his more pop, love song influences.  There were a million other bands for that stuff.

Here's a bit of JA trivia I recently discovered.  The band had a really nice song on their After Bathing at Baxter's album in 1967 called Martha.  It was about a teenage runaway that used to hang out with them in the 60s.  Her name was Martha Wax.  Well, Martha Wax was arrested a few years back in Bolinas for embezzling $200,000 of her own mother's money.  I understand the charges were dropped.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 3:51pm
Most of the JA stuff I've tried to listen to, sounded kind of cacophonous and frankly, boring.

Don't think I ever heard any hard driving, get down rock & roll out of them.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Most of the JA stuff I've tried to listen to, sounded kind of cacophonous and frankly, boring.

WinkEggggzzzzzactleeee. 
Now, having said that, I've been a bit of a Hot Tuna fan - always liked Jorma's guitar....but maybe more so if they added a touch of...oh...say, Alvin Lee?LOL
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

They did some harder stuff, though there was quite a bit of bluesy, country and, of course, psychedelic stuff in their repertoire. 

This is a bit in the hard rock vein:

There you sit, mouth wide open
Animals nipping at your sides

aleen View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aleen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 9:08pm
Sad news to hear.  I also wasn't much of a fan of the Grace Slick-era Airplane.  I think their huge egos shone through in their music in the worst way.  There are a few songs here and there that were OK, but some were insufferable.  That being said, the pre-Grace Slick Airplane was quite lovely.  A lot folkier.  Marty Balin really shone in this song in particular:

"Did somebody say 'muffins?'" Hazel from the Magic Bullet infomercial
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by aleen aleen wrote:

Sad news to hear.  I also wasn't much of a fan of the Grace Slick-era Airplane.  I think their huge egos shone through in their music in the worst way.  There are a few songs here and there that were OK, but some were insufferable.  That being said, the pre-Grace Slick Airplane was quite lovely.  A lot folkier.  Marty Balin really shone in this song in particular:

Wink<cough.cough.hack.hack.hawwwker-spit/blows.snot.on.sleeve/shuffles.bifocals/leans.over.walker>
Where ya been, stranger?!!! Good to see you're still kickin', chickin'.
Nice Marty Balin choice - thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic