Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TV lawyer ads: Oh the irony

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hsolo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV lawyer ads: Oh the irony
    Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 7:34pm
Here in Hampton Roads, Va we have a multitude of personal injury lawyers to choose from.  None is more annoying than Lowell "The Hammer" Stanley.  Lowell used to be represented by a paid spokesman.  Well, now Lowell is representing himself in front of the camera.  His slogan is if your hurt, call me "Lowell 'The Hammer" Stanley and let me hammer them." Or, "I may be an S. O. B. let me be your S. O. B.  Well, a couple of weeks ago, there was an article in the local section of our newspaper that mr. Stanley was being sued for assaulting a photographer or something.  Later that afternoon, one of his infamous ads ran stating, " I hit and I hit hard, I don't stop hitting til they pay."  Hope he had a good lawyer.  
Sponsored Links

shebazz View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shebazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 9:41pm
Is this the lawyer or the actor?

hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 11:14pm
Hey sorry you don't like my spots....How can I make them better?...........lowell"the hammer "stanley
shebazz View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shebazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 11:25pm
I dunno, don't put strange violent videos of people getting hit by cars in the background of your commercials? Or stop with the violent metaphors?
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 11:28pm
ok, what do you suggest to substitute them with and what lawyer commercials do you like?
shebazz View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shebazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 11:38pm
How about a blank, silent screen for 30 seconds, then just "This moment of silence was brought to you by..."?
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 12:28am
cmon, I asked you which lawyer commercials you liked, I am in business after all.......are you seriously interested in helping me or just pulling my chain? 
Hootman View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hootman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 1:03am
There are no lawyer ads that I like.  Reputation is the way a good lawyer increases business. 

What's with the crashing race cars? 
hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 1:09am
lawyer advertising is a fact of life, I get most of my business from referrals, but if your response is don't advertise at all, well thank you but that is not going to happen in this economic enviornment ...I asking for you help in improving my ads, but you response is you don't like any lawyer ads........not too helpful
DirtyD79 View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DirtyD79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 1:34pm

My favorite lawyer ads are for Steidl & Steinberg here in Pittsburgh. Their commercials are usually pretty funny and they are pretty nice guys in real life. As for Hammer's commercial's I really don't see anything wrong with them.

Mind on My Money, Money on My Beer
Hagar View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hagar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 6:22pm
There's not much in the way of lawyer ads in my local area, but the national ones are annoying enough.

There is some shyster willing to represent anybody for any real or imagined wrong. That Sokolov outfit seems to be the worst one but there are plenty of others in the same league.

99% of lawyers give the rest of them a bad name.
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 6:31pm
I've always thought it unseemly for lawyers to advertise.  Maybe that's because it was against the ABA rules until maybe 20-25 years ago.  But for the poor average person (I would say "Joe," but I'm sick of Joe the Plumber) who might not have any contacts in the legal community, I guess it's better than just being listed in the Yellow Pages. 

I find all the violence in the background to be jarring, but it's also effective:  I think it gets the message across.  But, Hammer, your eyes look like they are closed, and I don't think that helps you.  No offense, but you kind of look and sound like Richard Nixon.  Maybe you should revert to using a spokesperson?
erod550 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erod550 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 10:26am
Around here we have Frank "The Strong Arm" Azar.  He loves to advertise during Judge Judy and People's Court and the other daytime shows.

These guys all just seem so sleazy.  I don't think I could ever actually call one if I needed a lawyer.
smittykins View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smittykins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2008 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by shebazz shebazz wrote:

Is this the lawyer or the actor?

He's got to be a paid shill, 'cause we used to see him in ads for Jim "The Hammer" Shapiro--same guy, many of the same visuals, same slogans.  Fortunately, I've heard that Mr. Shapiro was disbarred some time ago, so he no longer graces our televisioins with his presence. Clap

Nowadays, we get "Hurt In A Car?  Call William Mattar."
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2008 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by smittykins smittykins wrote:

Nowadays, we get "Hurt In A Car?  Call William Mattar."
CryThat very mind-numbing quote has given me nightmares ever since we moved to this area...remember Mattar's 'classroom lessons'? ohhhhhhh.....Dead

Let me 'share the pain'....(think he has a room full of numbskulls, here...)

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2008 at 11:29pm

...another reason there are never any skidmarks anywhere near a road-killed lawyer...

SO many commercials with groups of lawyers ready to sue the hell out of SOMEBODY, for that (so even they claim) very rare disease, mesothelioma. You don't even need to really know where you got it...arrrrrggh!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 5:18am
Mesothelioma is a horrible, horrible way to die.  People got it from exposure to asbestos, which was used in a lot of different industries.  Just off the top of my head: shipyards, construction, car repair.  Even firemen used asbestos-lined gloves.  Once the asbestos breaks, the particles are airborne and inhaled.

I worked for a law firm which, unfortunately, represented the insurance companies who insured  a few of the shipyards.  I would have to transcribe the notes the lawyers made of the plaintiff's (victim's) medical records.  It was grisly just listening to and typing the information.  They would have to make videotapes of these people's depositions, because most likely, they weren't going to live long enough to testify in court.

It's one thing to use a carcinogen when you aren't aware of the dangers.  Once a company is aware, they should stop using it and stop exposing employees to it.  Nowadays you see people with gas masks if they have to work around asbestos abatement or anything dangerous.  These people had no protective gear at all

Asbestos was used in the World Trade Center.  I believe 1974 was the last year it was allowed to be used.  When the towers came down on 9/11, all that asbestos became airborne.  Unfortunately, people will be affected by it for years.  And there is no excuse, in my opinion, for the EPA to have said that downtown Manhattan was safe when they did.  It wasn't.  Time will tell.

ztigerpaw View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ztigerpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 9:54am
Originally posted by hammer hammer wrote:

cmon, I asked you which lawyer commercials you liked, I am in business after all.......are you seriously interested in helping me or just pulling my chain? 

Apparently you've forgotten what site this is.
Stay frosty, Z
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 11:53am

...I asking for you help in improving my ads, but you response is you don't like any lawyer ads........not too helpful

If you are indeed sincere with your question, I'll say that the most palitable Legal Advertisements I've seen have been for the Cellino & Barnes firm - they 'humanize' their services offerings better than most. Again, I'm speaking only in regard to their advertising, 
Hope this helps - Good luck!

hammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 4:15pm
How might I see a commercial for the Cellino & Barnes firm.........where are they? I so much want to improve. Won't you help me? 
Hezadancer View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hezadancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 4:49pm
Some of these injury lawyer ads scare me, like if I rear ended someone in an SUV in my tiny car and there was little damage done that I might get taken to court by them and see them in a fake neck brace or complaining of back damage. Some of the lawyers just seem too client hungry in those ads.
Tiz View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Hezadancer Hezadancer wrote:

Some of these injury lawyer ads scare me, like if I rear ended someone in an SUV in my tiny car and there was little damage done that I might get taken to court by them and see them in a fake neck brace or complaining of back damage. Some of the lawyers just seem too client hungry in those ads.

A long time ago that happened to me. I was running an errand in the company pickup, not paying attention, and clipped a guy's taillight. Got wrote up for following too close.
We originally agreed that I'd buy him a new light and be done with it.

Apparently, someone told him that one, I was in a company vehicle, two, he was hit in the rear, he could get some money for this.
Sure enough, on court day, there he was in a "fake" neck brace( with a lawyer).Angry 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2008 at 9:56pm

How might I see a commercial for the Cellino & Barnes firm.........where are they? I so much want to improve. Won't you help me? 
  A simple google web search will bring you right to their 'Western New York Official Ambulance Chaser' website.  
serialhag76 View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serialhag76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 12:02am
Here in the Tampa Bay area we are bombarded with a gaggle of attorney ads, but there is one in particular that REALLY chaps my a**. I won't divulge the name of the firm, but one of the partners is an ex-pro football player. Anyway, the reason why I HATE this ad so much is because they blatantly rip off the Kill Bill Theme, tweaking it just enough so they can't be sued by the original artist. I used to love that song, but now every time I hear it I envision these two d-bags sternly (& in slo-mo) stalking down the courtroom steps. Shame on them!
FaithSF View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
I donated!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FaithSF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2009 at 1:54am
Originally posted by serialhag76 serialhag76 wrote:

Here in the Tampa Bay area we are bombarded with a gaggle of attorney ads, but there is one in particular that REALLY chaps my a**. I won't divulge the name of the firm, but one of the partners is an ex-pro football player. Anyway, the reason why I HATE this ad so much is because they blatantly rip off the Kill Bill Theme, tweaking it just enough so they can't be sued by the original artist. I used to love that song, but now every time I hear it I envision these two d-bags sternly (& in slo-mo) stalking down the courtroom steps. Shame on them!

Hmmmm.  The only ex-NFL player that I know if Steve Young.  Please tell me it's not him!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic