Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

IKEA furniture "start the car!" Is back!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IKEA furniture "start the car!" Is back!
    Posted: 04 Jan 2018 at 11:18pm
January 4th, 2018

That's the date when I was bombarded yet again with the infamous IKEA "Start The Car" ad. Yes indeeddie ITS BAAAAAAAAAACK!

Just when you thought it was safe to watch TV, this crap comes back on. Argh!

*Cue Star Trek TOS fight music*
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 4:06am
That woman is a fugly tard!

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 6:47pm
Complete idiocy! My eyes and ears hurt!Angry
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2018 at 10:10pm
I always thought she was kinda funny.

zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 12:07am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

Complete idiocy! My eyes and ears hurt!Angry

This commercial just seems so 80's to me. The styles, the old Volvo. The nerd behind the wheel reminds me of a relative to that obnoxious H & R block geezer with the bowtie. Get your big refund commercial. The loudmouth heifer reminds me of one of those feminist intellectuals who maybe washes her hemp mop hair a couple times a year under duress. You can smell her musty bedhead all the way down to exit 5 on the NJ. Turnpike. This couple I think are New Yorkers or North Jersey. They like Woody Allen, addicted to PBS and NPR. Went into mourning when Friends stopped producing first run episodes. They have money but don't want to spend it unless its for PBS, NPR etc. I imagine them causing a big cluster f car wreck on the Garbage State PKWY or NJTP as they are rushing in their beater Volvo to that big Ikea near Sewark International Airport.
I approve this message.
connaroo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote connaroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 1:33am
I find the Ikea's Start the Car to be very distasteful and sends the wrong message.  The message is: It is OK, in fact humorous, to run off after discovering you have 'underpaid' for an item.  I get that the commercial is suggesting that their prices are so low that you think the cashier has made a mistake and undercharged you.  However, such behavior as demonstrated by the woman in the ad, doesn't take into account that often cashiers have to pay for their mistakes, or at a minimum, get a letter in their folders about the mistakes they make.  When someone walks, or in this case runs off, knowing he/she has gotten away with taking something that isn't their's, is the same as stealing.  Again, this Ikea commercial suggests that being dishonest is OK and humorous!
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 2:15am
Originally posted by connaroo connaroo wrote:

I find the Ikea's Start the Car to be very distasteful and sends the wrong message.  The message is: It is OK, in fact humorous, to run off after discovering you have 'underpaid' for an item.  I get that the commercial is suggesting that their prices are so low that you think the cashier has made a mistake and undercharged you.  However, such behavior as demonstrated by the woman in the ad, doesn't take into account that often cashiers have to pay for their mistakes, or at a minimum, get a letter in their folders about the mistakes they make.  When someone walks, or in this case runs off, knowing he/she has gotten away with taking something that isn't their's, is the same as stealing.  Again, this Ikea commercial suggests that being dishonest is OK and humorous!

Welcome to CIH! I was just about to post something like this but you beat me to the punch. I remember this ad getting a lot of criticism on. YouTube because it was airing on channels that were showing children's TV shows. The criticism was something like, "This ad is telling children that not alerting the cashier when the bill is way too low is and you should run off before they catch on to the mistakes is okay. Awful message to children."
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.😀 Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! 😀

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by connaroo connaroo wrote:

I find it disappointing that many people think our level of honesty = stupid.
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2018 at 6:03pm
I think...The woman is as dumb as a box of rocks and doesn't realize she paid the right price for the cheap ass furniture or whatever she just bought.
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 2:28am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

January 4th, 2018

That's the date when I was bombarded yet again with the infamous IKEA "Start The Car" ad. Yes indeeddie ITS BAAAAAAAAAACK!

Just when you thought it was safe to watch TV, this crap comes back on. Argh!

*Cue Star Trek TOS fight music*

"Start the Car!"

Is it possible she was just in the store and knocked over the furniture, crushing some poor child? Confused

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 4:41am
Longevity for a commercial just has to be a dream come true for everyone involved...and this may be one of the longest-running commercials. It dates back to at least 2005 (that is when a few countries re-shot this commercial with their native actors and in their native tongues).
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
crash1984 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crash1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 7:58am
Never saw it before but it was on constantly during Live PD the last two nights. The real kicker for me though is that there are no Ikeas around here, in fact I have never even seen an Ikea. Closest one is in Atlanta and that is a good 2 1/2 hours away. I suspect eventually we will get one but it seems like this area always gets stores and what not years after everyone else does.
ILUVTOMH77 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ILUVTOMH77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 3:29pm
One of the worst commercials ever!  I HATE it! DeadDeadDead
Chevy commercials that feature annoying hipsters make me NOT want to ever buy a Chevy......
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 4:08pm
JUST saw this commercial this morning for the 1st time this year. Jesus, how old is this ad?? (Edit - Never mind, PAWolf said it was 2005)

Well, I'm just glad it's short lived and ends in a few days.

zippyjet View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zippyjet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2018 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by ThatNerdInPhilly ThatNerdInPhilly wrote:

JUST saw this commercial this morning for the 1st time this year. Jesus, how old is this ad?? (Edit - Never mind, PAWolf said it was 2005)

Well, I'm just glad it's short lived and ends in a few days.
Thought it was 1985 with that old Volvo, the nerd couple and as mentioned, she probably hasn't washed her hair since Pseususudio was a hit back in the Summer of 1985!
I approve this message.
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 1:36am
...AND it's back again.
Retire this sh*t commercial already! 

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2018 at 6:31pm
We should put Ad N on the official MIA list.
atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 1:49am
So the son got his drivers license? Ikea, Aldi, I get those two confused. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic