Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stouffers lasagna

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stouffers lasagna
    Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 9:33pm
I'll start off by admitting that I don't give a rats ass about football. So I don't care if this guy is some famous high school coach or anything.

I just think this is a stupid commercial. "I eat stouffer's lasagna"....big whoop. That lasagna is so watered down and tasteless he might as well have been advertising McDonalds. Man, I hate this commercial. Just make your own lasagna, man! This thing plays multiple times a day.

I'm pretty sure that the "family size" stouffer's lasagna is not enough to feed more than maybe three of those kids. 

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Sponsored Links

atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 2:00am
Don't care for the ad but Stouffers actually makes some damn good lasagna.
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 4:43am
Originally posted by atikovi atikovi wrote:

Don't care for the ad but Stouffers actually makes some damn good lasagna.
Seconded!  Thumbs Up  They make several varieties and single serve and family size too.  It's a good way to have a tasty, hot meal without the long baking time.  With a salad and maybe garlic bread or French or Italian bread, it's great!

They have classic meat and sauce, cheese only varieties, one with special Italian spices, meat lovers, vegetable lasagna and even Mexican lasagna (if that's your thing).
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 5:04am
It's OK but not awesome.

I find it helps to thaw it first, then stuff the center with extra meat.

Even the meatsauce variety doesn't have a whole lot of meat.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Dejoh View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dejoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 3:54pm
After you've had homemade for years,  Stouffers is incredibly hard to take.  The assembly line industrial factory from which it is manufactured at sticks in my mind.
There's a sucker born every minute.
atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 4:13pm
Actually, they probably have perfected the recipe by now so it's consistently good. And "homemade" or "authentic" is overrated. I've found better Mexican food at the USA chains than in Mexico, or better biscuits for example at KFC or Popeye's than at a home cooking restaurant. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 5:08pm
Guess it has to be said: In the case of 'prepared foods', what is 'good' is relative for each and every individual...so, in my humble opinion, I'll just say Stouffers can suffice in moments of starvation and desperation, but I would not dare allow even an empty box to be seen in my outdoor garbage can by any relative. Yea, if I'm eatin' Stouffers, the garbage is going in the neighbor's can and I'll never admit is was in my house. In other words, D4Man?Big smileThumbs UpWinkYou got it right.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 5:21pm
^ Agreed.  I think once a food is frozen, it loses just a touch of flavor, texture and most of all, FRESHNESS.

Many moons ago, I would buy these...Once you got past the freezer burn, they weren't too bad.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

^ Agreed.  I think once a food is frozen, it loses just a touch of flavor, texture and most of all, FRESHNESS.

Many moons ago, I would buy these...Once you got past the freezer burn, they weren't too bad.

Those are pretty good, a-ron, but I need to eat four of them just to feel satsfied.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by Dejoh Dejoh wrote:

After you've had homemade for years,  Stouffers is incredibly hard to take.  The assembly line industrial factory from which it is manufactured at sticks in my mind.

Originally posted by atikovi atikovi wrote:

Actually, they probably have perfected the recipe by now so it's consistently good. And "homemade" or "authentic" is overrated. I've found better Mexican food at the USA chains than in Mexico, or better biscuits for example at KFC or Popeye's than at a home cooking restaurant. 

As I mentioned in an above post, I like to thaw them out first, then lift up the top layer of noodles, sauce and cheese, and put some extra meat and sauce in the middle. Maybe a bit of Italian sausage. Then a bit of extra sauce and cheese on top.

What I noticed the first time I did that though, was that unlike homemade or even restaurant made lasagna, the underlying layers are not made with whole lasagna noodles. What they do is, take a bunch of broken up pieces of lasagna noodles, mix them with a small amount of "meat" and sauce, then just dump a glob of that mixture into the foil baking pan. Over the top of that, they put one row of whole, unbroken lasagna noodles, some sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Finally, the carboard lid goes on, then it gets boxed then frozen.

I guess they figure very few people will ever thaw one out and take it apart.

Still, it's not bad and if you doctor it up a bit, you can make a passable lasagna dinner.

C'mon, man!
d4everman View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4everman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Guess it has to be said: In the case of 'prepared foods', what is 'good' is relative for each and every individual...so, in my humble opinion, I'll just say Stouffers can suffice in moments of starvation and desperation, but I would not dare allow even an empty box to be seen in my outdoor garbage can by any relative. Yea, if I'm eatin' Stouffers, the garbage is going in the neighbor's can and I'll never admit is was in my house. In other words, D4Man?Big smileThumbs UpWinkYou got it right.

Well, I'll throw the box away in my own trash as long as everyone knows  as you said Pa Wolf, it was an act of desperation and /or starvation. If you find frozen meals in my freezer they are only there for the times when no one wants to or has the time to cook. 

You're right, it depends on the individual on what is "good" but you'd have a hard time making a home made lasagna that was as bland as stouffers. 
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 12:54am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Those are pretty good, a-ron, but I need to eat four of them just to feel satsfied.

I have never seen eaten these in real life.
That said, I promise you they do not look anything like they do on the box!!  Angry

usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 2:48am
Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I have never seen eaten these in real life.
That said, I promise you they do not look anything like they do on the box!!  Angry

I lived on these damned things when I was in college, late 80s/early 90s.  Back then, they did look like the picture on the box and tasted great.  I used to eat them a box at a time.  LOLLOL

I haven't had one for 30 years and had forgotten all about them.  Thanks for the memories!  I'm sure that if I had one today, it'd taste nothing like they used to. Smile
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 6:49am
Originally posted by usmaak usmaak wrote:

I lived on these damned things when I was in college, late 80s/early 90s.  Back then, they did look like the picture on the box and tasted great.  I used to eat them a box at a time.  LOLLOL

I haven't had one for 30 years and had forgotten all about them.  Thanks for the memories!  I'm sure that if I had one today, it'd taste nothing like they used to. Smile

One of my college roommates used to eat them all the time back around '82.

I've had them several times over the years since then.

They're actually pretty good, but again, one is not enough.

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic