Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best/Worst Christmas Songs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best/Worst Christmas Songs
    Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 7:13pm
Like others have said...I just want this Christmas buying commercial season fiasco to be done with.

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:14pm

^  Always loved that one.

My fave rock one, though, is I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday by Wizzard.  FYI, the frontman for this band was Roy Wood, co-founder of ELO.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 8:20pm
This is both the best and worst Christmas song at the same time:

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 10:23pm
I wish "Weird Al" Yankovic or Bob Rivers would do a parody of Band Aid's Do they know it's Christmastime at all. There's a town in Africa that gets over $500,000.00 in royalties from this song each year. I'd like to see them do Do they know that we're not poor any more. (Here's to you raise a glass for everyone here's to us toasting with Dom Perignon)! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2017 at 11:08pm
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 6:48pm
^ LOL

I would expect no less from our beloved PaWolf.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2017 at 7:21pm
LOL ^
Well, Happy Holidays, aka - that was just the tone I was searching for! Life is now complete.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 2:15pm
This is the album this song first appeared on. Afterwards the Savatage guys decided to release a Christmas album under the name Tran-Siberian Orchestra where they became mega-successful, but Savatage fans like me knew how great this song was before TSO hit it big(with their debut becoming one of the top selling Christmas discs ever, and this song taking it's place as a modern day holiday classic).

A TSO favorite of mine:

Here's one for the people who get a little fed up by the whole holiday season:

And here's an insane 10 minute power metal Christmas song(totally non-religious, despite Theocracy being a Christian metal band) features an inter-species love story, a racist asshole Santa who decides to destroy Christmas, a blues interlude, a segment that breaks into thrash riffing, humor, attempted murder, and somehow STILL manages to bring it home into a heartwarming Christmas song. Wouldn't have believed it it I hadn't heard it.

"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 2:40pm
I think this little number wins the title of 'Best Christmas Song' hands down...

Robert Plant & The Honeydrippers: Santa Claus is Back in Town - SNL 1984 <-- link

Robert Plant & The Honeydrippers w/Brian Setzer on guitar & Paul Shaffer on piano.

Thanks for nothing useless YouTube for deleting this video, hence the link to alternate site.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 3:07pm
^ That is pretty good! Plant was doing lead vocals and Setzer was on the lead guitar, right?
I loved the Stray Cats.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

^ That is pretty good! Plant was doing lead vocals and Setzer was on the lead guitar, right?
I loved the Stray Cats.

Yep. Plant, Setzer, Shaffer and a cast of thousands.

Gotta love those backup singers, too. - "Christ - maaaas... Christ - maaaas... Christ - maaaas..."

Maybe it's just me, but judging by Plant's facial expressions, I'm guessing the white flakes falling around them wasn't the only "snow" that was "blowing" around that evening.

Some of it backstage right before coming out to perform...

(The Porky Pig clip is a classic!!! )

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2017 at 3:32pm
LOL

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if there was some 'nose candy' being consumed and maybe a joint or two too.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 5:31pm
A more well known TSO tune.  I wish the current c-rap, pop and hiphop artist would look back at the strong history of music over the centuries.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 5:40pm
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 5:42pm
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2017 at 6:09pm
^

C'mon, man!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 11:27am

12/24/2012

On this date Saint Nick gave me EXACTLY what I wanted!!! Big smile

Poiuyt Power!!!
Angry McPisseron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
Formerly AngryMcPisseron

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angry McPisseron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 1:33pm
I've always been partial to this one. Taught me my first Spanish too. LOL

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 3:33pm

A more well known TSO tune.

I literally posted that same song in my post, lol. It's actually called Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 on the album, and it first appeared on Savatage's Dead Winter Dead, before they formed TSO.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

A more well known TSO tune.

I literally posted that same song in my post, lol. It's actually called Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 on the album, and it first appeared on Savatage's Dead Winter Dead, before they formed TSO.
LOL

I was going by the title...listening to everything posted can be a little overwhelming.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 9:02am
12 Pains of Christmas By Bob Rivers

There's Something Stuck Up The Chimney and I Don't What It Is By Bob Rivers

Can't access YouTube on my phone that's why I can't post video.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:29pm

I was going by the title...listening to everything posted can be a little overwhelming.

But...the title on mine was correct, lol. On the TSO album, the song isn't listed as Carol of the Bells, it's listed as "Christmas Eve(Sarajevo 12/24)", same as on the Savatage album it debuted on. Also I mentioned it was later adopted as a TSO song in my comment before my song post, heh.

It really doesn't cease to surprise me how few TSO fans have no clue that they started as Savatage, and their most famous song first appeared on a Savatage album. The elements of the TSO sound first started showing up on Savatage albums all the way back on 1986's Gutter Ballet, but they didn't form TSO until 10 years later, 1 year after the release of Savatage's Dead Winter Dead, where Christmas Eve(Sarajevo 12/24) debuted.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic