Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Secret Deodorant 'Namaste' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Secret Deodorant 'Namaste' (video)
    Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 5:22am
DeadNothing worse than seeing something like this when one has previously encountered a sweating woman in a silk dress at work...and she sure wasn't smelling as much like the flowers in the garden as much as the fertilizer feeding the flowers. Her hair looks dirty - she really could have taken a shower before coming to work.

And hanging out under the wind dryer? Holy cow! Imagine the under-the-boob sweat!
Ever thought of going home sick, or maybe an extended lunch and picking up a few things at the pharmacy?

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Sponsored Links

Dr. John Dorian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. John Dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 11:42am
Have you noticed that they recently cut out the part where she says, "Namaste"? Now she just leans over and says "Heeeeyyy..." I figure the way things are these days, somebody probably thought an Asian woman saying "namaste" was racist or something.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 1:49pm

Actually, I've never even heard anyone say the word, so I was confused and thought it was the other girl's name. In no way did it hit me it was a greeting or salutation. When I looked it up, I understood the commercial a little bit better and hated it a little bit more.

I believe you're correct, though - the use could be viewed in the wrong light. 
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 5:54am
I'm sure she was actually trying to say " I am nas-tay "  Big smile
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

Actually, I've never even heard anyone say the word, so I was confused and thought it was the other girl's name. In no way did it hit me it was a greeting or salutation. When I looked it up, I understood the commercial a little bit better and hated it a little bit more.

I also looked it up. I think it's use in the ad being offensive is quite a stretch!
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by MrTim MrTim wrote:

I'm sure she was actually trying to say " I am nas-tay "  Big smile
LOLLOLSays the man with the 'finely refined' hearing...you are so correct!
Dr. John Dorian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. John Dorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 3:17am
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

I also looked it up. I think it's use in the ad being offensive is quite a stretch!

I think it's quite a stretch, too...but when did that ever stop some people from finding something offensive? I could stand in one spot staring straight ahead and say, "Hello" in the blandest voice possible, and someone would be offended by it.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2017 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Dr. John Dorian Dr. John Dorian wrote:

I think it's quite a stretch, too...but when did that ever stop some people from finding something offensive? I could stand in one spot staring straight ahead and say, "Hello" in the blandest voice possible, and someone would be offended by it.
ConfusedOnce again, expressing an opinion is better done after study is complete. Seriously.

To many Buddhists, “Namaste” is more than a commonly spoken greeting. It is not just a salutation, it's a sign of genuine respect and good will. More importantly, bowing to another helps us overcome the obstacle of pride, a major obstacle to Buddhist practice.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 4:46am
Dang Dr. John Dorian and sgtrock21 you just got schooled! By PaWolf!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 5:43am
Namaste everyone.

Namaste.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 3:10pm
I "got schooled" by searching the internet.Wink
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2017 at 10:49pm
That's one good thing about real Buddhists.  They don't go around getting offended by everything that may or may not touch on their religion.  Tongue
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 1:26am
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Confusedno no no no no...they got giggled and wikied and a few other unmentionable things AAaand they didn't say 'NO!'. They're wise men and do their own research when they wish. I was just able to sneak up on themEvil SmileWinkBig smile
Truth be told, I never heard of 'Namaste' before the commercial. Drove me nuts, so I had to read as much as I could...

But WAIT! There's even more very stupid people!
A Ga. School Bans The Greeting 'Namaste.' Do They Know What It Means?

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 8:55am
Didn't Janet Jackson have a song called something like "Namaste Boys"?

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 9:54am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

That joke would work if the word was pronounced in such a way as to make it rhyme with "nasty", but it doesn't.

The pronunciation is totally different.

(NAH-muh-stay)

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 3:05pm
Amazingly enough, the commercial had a very short run and has also been purged from spewtube...but remains on ispot.
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 3:39pm

Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Confusedno no no no no...they got giggled and wikied and a few other unmentionable things AAaand they didn't say 'NO!'. They're wise men and do their own research when they wish. I was just able to sneak up on themEvil SmileWinkBig smile
Truth be told, I never heard of 'Namaste' before the commercial. Drove me nuts, so I had to read as much as I could...

But WAIT! There's even more very stupid people!
A Ga. School Bans The Greeting 'Namaste.' Do They Know What It Means?

Since the article did not identify the elementary school as public or private I will guess public. The parent's complaint that the word 'Namaste' was non-Christian cracked me up since Christian beliefs are banned from public school. Far to much of our population sees anything "furrin" as wrong.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 4:10pm

Since the article did not identify the elementary school as public or private I will guess public. The parent's complaint that the word 'Namaste' was non-Christian cracked me up since Christian beliefs are banned from public school. Far to much of our population sees anything "furrin" as wrong.

Unfortunately, I've had to correct that false notion too many times before.

That false notion being the one that says Christian beliefs are banned from public school. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The truth of the matter is...

No religious tenets or beliefs, can be taught as part of any official school curriculum or advocated by any teacher or other school official over any other one, during normal school hours.

However, in the mornings before school starts, during lunch and after school, not only are Christian beliefs ALLOWED in public schools, teachers can use their classrooms to conduct prayer meetings for Christian students and even organize Christian and other religious clubs.

Also, teachers are allowed to have religious themed decor in their classrooms too, like paperweights with religious verses or references and wall posters and hangings, etc.

Sorry for the lecture, but it really riles me hearing that "untruth" constantly being repeated over and over, usually by adherents to the side that hates public education and who also have a tendency to see "anything "furrin" as wrong".

Not referring to you personally there, btw.

But I implore you... please, read and reread the above and commit it to memory.    

Thanks.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 4:54pm
^^^yea, anybody that raised chilluns in publicy-types o'school knows that as long as they realized they were not sending their spermmistakes to required babysitting and actually partook in their lil'foodstamp's  education and upbringing

Evil Smile*I* wanna be one of Janet Jackson's 'Name-..Namx-....Nazzz-.. <screw it - I can't say it! > NastyBoyz! Just for one night or morning or lunch break - wanna check her for malfunctions and ensure she isn't too tightly-wound, doncha know...and I'm thinkin' she'd do well if'n I could bless her with a lil'white pup she could call 'Spot'.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 5:44pm
From that NPR article (written by an Indian) that PaW linked:

I live in America now, and when I hear someone say namaste to me in an organic grocery store, or at a yoga retreat, I find it funny and cute. It never fails to put a smile on my face. I always get the feeling that they mean something very different than I do.

God, white people sure can be embarrassing.  It's like when white people speak Spanish to someone they think is Mexican or Puerto Rican in order to be "welcoming", and then finding out that the person they're speaking to was born in the US and doesn't know what the hell they're saying.  It figures that he finds these people at yoga retreats and organic food stores.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

That joke would work if the word was pronounced in such a way as to make it rhyme with "nasty", but it doesn't.

Yeah, I know.  I was just going with the way the word looks.

I always assumed the accent was on the second syllable (as in nuh-MAHS-tay), though.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 5:58pm
It looks like PaW's video has gone away, she says the word in this one.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 6:55pm

From that NPR article (written by an Indian) that PaW linked:

I live in America now, and when I hear someone say namaste to me in an organic grocery store, or at a yoga retreat, I find it funny and cute. It never fails to put a smile on my face. I always get the feeling that they mean something very different than I do.

God, white people sure can be embarrassing.  It's like when white people speak Spanish to someone they think is Mexican or Puerto Rican in order to be "welcoming", and then finding out that the person they're speaking to was born in the US and doesn't know what the hell they're saying.  It figures that he finds these people at yoga retreats and organic food stores.

Kinda reminds me of a scene in that Cheech Marin movie Born in East L.A. where someone starts speaking to him in Spanish and he doesn't understand a word they're saying.

C'mon, man!
atikovi View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atikovi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 6:56pm

So how do you feel when a white guy comes up to you and says, 'sup bro.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by atikovi atikovi wrote:

So how do you feel when a white guy comes up to you and says, 'sup bro.

Not really a good corollary, considering I'm white.

Now if a black guy came up to me and said "Why, you seem quite chipper today, sir!", I'd probably just laugh and say "Wazzup, nizzle?"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic