Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP to two Nashville legends

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP to two Nashville legends
    Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 1:14am
Two popular country singers have died today.

Don Williams was 78 years old, well known for 17 #1 country singles including 'I Believe in You' and 'Tulsa Time'. No reason as to his death yet.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/country/7864982/don-williams-dead

And now...Troy Gentry, at 50. He was one-half of Montgomery Gentry, known for a lot of big 2000s country songs, like 'My Town' and 'Something To Be Proud Of.' He was killed in a fatal helicopter crash.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2017/09/08/troy-gentry-montgomery-gentry-duo-killed-helicopter-crash/647368001/

Nashville mourns deeply tonight. RIP to both! CryCryCry
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 1:51am
Guess I'm just not up on the modern day country music scene.

I've never heard of either one of those guys, though I heard about Gentry and the helicopter crash.

I am also familiar with the song Tulsa Time, but the Eric Clapton version, of course.

RIP to both of them anyway.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
crainbebo View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crainbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 8:25am
Montgomery Gentry was supposed to perform at the Central Washington State Fair, here in Yakima. Now with the death of Gentry, they are scrambling for another singer or band to replace them.
Back after a long absence...still hating those commercials. Go away Limu Emu and Doug!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 9:37am
Just saw a pic of Gentry with the tame, captive bear he had just killed inside an electrified enclosure (back in 2006).

RIP to the other guy.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

Just saw a pic of Gentry with the tame, captive bear he had just killed inside an electrified enclosure (back in 2006).

RIP to the other guy.

Really???

Then I unRIP him!!!

And if that's true, it's too bad the Trump sons weren't in the copter with him.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I've never heard of either one of those guys,

Well, I'm not sure Don Williams really counts as the "modern day country scene", since his first hit was in 1974, he was the CMA Male Vocalist of the Year in 1978, and hasn't been played on anything but classic country stations in years.

And the most noteworthy thing Gentry did was try to play up his reputation as a good ol guns 'n huntin' county boy, until it was revealed the bear he killed was purchases then killed in an electrified enclosure.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by DKS DKS wrote:

I've never heard of either one of those guys,

Well, I'm not sure Don Williams really counts as the "modern day country scene", since his first hit was in 1974, he was the CMA Male Vocalist of the Year in 1978, and hasn't been played on anything but classic country stations in years.

And the most noteworthy thing Gentry did was try to play up his reputation as a good ol guns 'n huntin' county boy, until it was revealed the bear he killed was purchases then killed in an electrified enclosure.

My dad was an old school country music guy. 1940's and 50's. Those are the country music stars I'm mainly familiar with.

Think cast of Hee Haw in the 70's.

Outside of a few of the really huge, mega stars who everyone has heard of, anything later than the 1950's is pretty much the "modern day country music scene" to me.

As far as this Gentry animal murderer guy is concerned... good riddance.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 6:06pm

RIP to the other guy.

Really???

Then I unRIP him!!!

And if that's true, it's too bad the Trump sons weren't in the copter with him.
He was a disgusting f*ck!!  AngryAngry

Showing Animals Respect and Kindness (SHARK) waged and won a three-year battle (including a victorious federal lawsuit) against the US Fish and Wildlife Service that forced the federal government to turn over the videotape of Gentry’s canned hunt killing. October 25, 2010, SHARK released that video on YouTube so that Gentry’s killing of an innocent bear can be seen by everyone.

When Troy Gentry, of the country music duo Montgomery Gentry, pled guilty to a crime resulting from the horrendous slaughter of a tame bear inside a one-acre electrified enclosure, he probably thought that everyone would soon forget about his cowardly and dishonorable act. He was wrong.

https://www.sharkonline.org/index.php/troy-gentry-kills-tame-bear

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 6:09pm
Yep.

For once, someone who deserved what he got, got what he deserved.

I hope hell for him is eternity in a cage full of hungry, pissed off bears who were killed by hunters.

C'mon, man!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 8:31pm
Since I've never heard of either of these two that I can remember, I didn't chime in.  I agree with the above posters so I just Thanks clicked them.  I can't really say anything more meaningful than what you've already written.

RIP to Don Williams and Mr. Tame Bear.

Cry
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 9:00pm
WinkRIP Mr. Williams ('The Gentle Giant')...you were one fine fellow.
I still remember when your music calmed some rough & ragged days - thank you.
The other fellow I am not familiar with, but you couldn't have picked a better person with whom to make the final 'perp walk'.  
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 9:03pm
I'm starting to think I might vaguely remember Don Williams a little bit.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 9:56pm
My fave radio station was playing some was playing music this morning by the Pozo Seco Singers, a mid-60s folk-pop band featuring Williams.

Anyone remember them?  I know the name, but was never familiar with their music.  Or maybe it just always put me to sleep after the first 3 notes.  LOL

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 3:52pm

Outside of a few of the really huge, mega stars who everyone has heard of, anything later than the 1950's is pretty much the "modern day country music scene" to me.

I still find it weird that you would consider Willie Nelson(first album 1962), Kris Kristofferson(1970), Charlie Daniels(1971), Guy Clark(1975), Jerry Jeff Walker(1967), Waylon Jennings(1964), and Alabama(1976),  part of the "modern day country music scene", but to each their own.

OOC, do you also consider guys like the Stones, the Who, Tull, BOC, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc, modern rock?
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 5:13pm

I still find it weird that you would consider Willie Nelson(first album 1962), Kris Kristofferson(1970), Charlie Daniels(1971), Guy Clark(1975), Jerry Jeff Walker(1967), Waylon Jennings(1964), and Alabama(1976),  part of the "modern day country music scene", but to each their own.

No problem. This is a free country. You can find anything weird that you wish to.

Whatever blows your skirt up.

But to address the rest of your comments, Willie Nelson did not become a household name until the mid 70's after he grew long hair and a beard and took up with Waylon Jennings, who did the same thing and also wasn't widely known until that period. Hence, I consider them to be more a part of the 70's than the early 60's.

And yes, I consider anything from the 70's to be more a part of the modern era of country music.

An early part of it, but a part of it all the same.

People like Kenny Cheesy, Keith Sub-urban, Brad Paisley, Barf Hooks, Dopey Keith etc, etc are to me, examples of the more current modern era.

Your mileage may vary, as the kids on that "internet" thing say nowadays.

OOC, do you also consider guys like the Stones, the Who, Tull, BOC, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc, modern rock?

No, I do not.

Why? Because rock music is a much younger musical genre than country. And though it has it's roots in the 50's, it didn't really begin in it's modern form until the early-mid 60's. Therefore, in the 70's it was still in it's youth. Or more accurately, it's adolescence.

The 80's & early 90's represented it's young adulthood and beyond that, it had just reached it's flabby, overworked, tired middle-age and was by that time, just going through the motions. The old fire of inspiration of it's youth having long since burned out, save for the occasional odd flickering ember.

Does that work for you?

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 5:29pm
Big smile
Hey Jimbo, you missed the original Man in Black,

Hello, I'm Johnny Cash.

P.S. There's a clue in there about my real name.  Wink
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 5:57pm
They've been playing this song on our progressive/alternative rock station.
I was never a fan of country music or Johnny Cash, this is pretty good!

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

Big smile

Hello, I'm Johnny Cash.

Roseanne.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 6:21pm

The old fire of inspiration of it's youth having long since burned out, save for the occasional odd flickering ember.

There's a lotta good, new rock music being done by new, young artists.  I hear it all the time on my lower-end-of-the-dial radio station.  Thing is, the music they're doing is heavily reliant on the sounds of the 50s through the 80s.  Sometimes, I have to look it up online to see if it's new or actually old stuff that I'd never heard before.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 6:40pm

Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

Big smile

Hello, I'm Johnny Cash.

Roseanne.

Yeah, I had guessed that and asked her via PM a few weeks ago.

She never replied, so I figured she felt it was NOMB.

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 6:50pm

The old fire of inspiration of it's youth having long since burned out, save for the occasional odd flickering ember.

There's a lotta good, new rock music being done by new, young artists.  I hear it all the time on my lower-end-of-the-dial radio station.  Thing is, the music they're doing is heavily reliant on the sounds of the 50s through the 80s.  Sometimes, I have to look it up online to see if it's new or actually old stuff that I'd never heard before.

Yep.

Some of it good, very little of it truly original.

I don't blame the modern musicians though. It's not their fault that they're making music in a time where everything has been done already.

I think we're moving towards a resurgence of 1930's and 40's style music. Sounds pretty but little or no substance. Pleasant noise.

Eventually it will all sound like elevator music.

Pop some Soma and enjoy tripping to meaningless happy sounds while watching random pretty images on giant, hi definition digital screens.

Brave New World.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 6:51pm

What a bitch!  A royal bitch.  Hey, maybe that's her name-that-begins-with-an-R---Royalina Bitchalina.

Wink

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 7:08pm

What a bitch!  A royal bitch.  Hey, maybe that's her name-that-begins-with-an-R---Royalina Bitchalina.

Wink

You're lucky she likes you.

Not everybody could get away with that...

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 7:11pm
That's why I included the wink smiley...just to make it clear I'm joking.

Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2017 at 7:14pm

Wink

LOL
I said I would let the correct guesser know if they got it right.  No one got it completely right.

Yeah, Thor, you're lucky I like you or you would be toast.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic