Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Phila Soda Tax commerciall (Paid for by Bloomberg)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Phila Soda Tax commerciall (Paid for by Bloomberg)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Phila Soda Tax commerciall (Paid for by Bloomberg)
    Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 2:08pm
This BS (touching) ad, this woman's voice!

This has been airing most of the Summer around here and I was hoping it would end. Thought wrong, there's a new one with "Good morning chalkboard, Good morning school desks...etc etc" "Thanks to the Soda tax, many kids are now starting school...blah blah.

Sure it helped a little..if that money all went to schools. Which I highly doubt.
Many say this tax has been a fail. 

"So far, beverage tax revenue has paid for 2,000 pre-K slots. The city first planned to add another 1,000 this fall, but has decided to hold pat while litigation against the tax works it way through the courts."

The term "SODA tax" is misleading, it's anything that has sugar in it. (Energy drinks, Sweetened Icea Tea) I stopped in a Wawa downtown (local area 7-11 type of store) I love their brand of Icea Tea...used to run about .89 cents. It's now pushing $2 F you!

What irks me is I like my Pepsi Real Sugar, I live just outside Philly city limits...so people come from the city and buy up all the soda.  Can't say I blame them. And I guess they love Pepsi Real Sugar also because I rarely see any in stock at the nearby Target anymore. Eh, 1st World Problems.Confused

Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 2:49pm
According to this article at philly.com, "The sugary-beverages tax approved by Council adds 1.5 cents per ounce to the cost of most drinks with a sugar-based sweetener or artificial sugar substitute."

So, assuming that Wawa Iced Tea comes in a standard 16 oz bottle, a 1.5¢ per oz tax would (or should) only raise the price by .24¢, from .89¢ to $1.13.

If Wawa is charging nearly $2 for it now, it sounds like they took advantage of the sugary beverages tax to price gouge you.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 6:26pm
Since when was Micheal R. Bloomberg a politician of Philadelphia? Huh? Oh he FUNDED it! Duh. Ah nevermind.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 10:03pm

Now that tobacco tax revenue is dwindling due to the decrease in tobacco use, we have to find another evil to serve as a cash cow for government do-gooders.  I guess the demon sugar will do.

edit:  Just did a little research.  It really is just about adding revenue to the coffers.  The tax applies even to artificially sweetened (non-sugared) beverages.  It's not about health concerns at all!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 10:25pm
Sugar and fake sugar really are bad for you and is part of the reason why health care costs are so high.

Smokers want to poison themselves with cigarettes then make everyone else pay for it when they run up a couple of hundred thousand dollars in cancer and cardiac treatment bills.

Same with obese sugar addicts.

Tax the living crap out of it all!!!!
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Sugar and fake sugar really are bad for you and is part of the reason why health care costs are so high.

How is fake sugar bad for you?  There's not much science out there that says any such thing.

Besides, it's not like the tax is going towards healthcare costs.  It's going towards free day care.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

How is fake sugar bad for you?  There's not much science out there that says any such thing.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 10:47pm

Besides, it's not like the tax is going towards healthcare costs.  It's going towards free day care.

From The Diabetes Council:

One study of approximately 6,800 people, showed a positive association with diet drinks and metabolic syndrome (high blood sugar, high blood pressure, and high blood cholesterol).

This study states that daily consumers of diet soda had a 67% elevated risk of type 2 diabetes compared with non consumers. Why? This study wasn’t looking at the actual artificial sweetener itself and how it may or may not change the body on a metabolic level. This study shows a positive association with drinking the diet soda.

This could mean that the sweet taste of the diet soda makes the body crave more sugar (physiologic response) or it could mean that because people drink “diet drinks” it’s a free for all when it comes to food (environmental/behavioral response).

Note: this did not differentiate between which artificial sweetener was in the drink. This data was collected from a food frequency questionnaire given to the subjects.

Another study focused on the gut. Researchers found that artificial sweeteners alter gut bacteria and can make rodents more susceptible to glucose intolerance.

So, at least one artificial sweetener has a physiologic/metabolic affect on insulin resistance and glucose metabolism.

We have some insight into how artificial sweeteners may alter the gut bacteria, possibly setting us up for disease.

We also know that diet soda has a positive association with increased risk for diabetes, what we don’t know is the true cause/effect.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 10:56pm
That's all pretty vague.  I see a lot of "more studies needed" and "no clear causal links" when I look at even the most ominous findings.  Yeah, there are those people who think drinking a diet soda makes it OK to eat an extra piece of cake, but that's their own prerogative.  The diet soda didn't make them do it.

Besides, as I edited in in my previous comment, the resultant taxes aren't going towards healthcare costs; they're going towards free nursery school.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 11:06pm

That's all pretty vague.  I see a lot of "more studies needed" and "no clear causal links" when I look at even the most ominous findings.  Yeah, there are those people who think drinking a diet soda makes it OK to eat an extra piece of cake, but that's their own prerogative.  The diet soda didn't make them do it.

Besides, as I edited in in my previous comment, the resultant taxes aren't going towards healthcare costs; they're going towards free nursery school.

If the diet soda played a role in their decision to eat more, it sounds to me like you just made a positive correlation between artificial sweeteners and more sugar consumption.

Whether it was their choice or not is beside the point. The point is that they're doing it and it's leading to poor health which costs everyone else in the form of higher health care costs and increased insurance premiums.

As for what the taxes are being spent on, that could be easily changed. And maybe the tax needs to be increased!!!!

More taxes!!!! More taxes!!!!

C'mon, man!
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 11:39pm

No More taxes!!!! No More taxes!!!!  
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2017 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by DarkRealmStar DarkRealmStar wrote:

No More taxes!!!! No More taxes!!!! 

Tastes great!!!! Less filling!!!!

C'mon, man!
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 12:55am

Absolutely!!
I say, just tax "stupidity" and be done with it.
That alone will pay off the national debt, and then some!

Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 12:57am
If the government wants money from sugar, they should just end the subsidies.

MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:44am
They want money?

TAX THE WEED!  

LOL
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 5:53am
Damn right!!!

Legalize it and tax it!!!!

C'mon, man!
Adznem View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adznem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 10:01pm
HFCS is another mere Communist plot.Dead

But the inane Bloomberg (former loser Mayor of the Big Apple) makes it NO better.Thumbs Down

Plus they have some f*gly pediatrician, With the ugliest hairstyle around, Who mumbles about the induced dangers of obesity & drinking that junk.Angry

FYI, The ad is ALSO shown in Chicago. Where the Crook (Cook) County bureaucrats pushed this Neo-Communist scheme down our throats.Angry
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 11:38pm
Wait a minute.
'Pre-K'?
Let's look at the REAL problem, here.
Either 'Mom & Dad' (or whomever) aren't taking care of little orphan Danny or the State is just trying to find a way to keep all these unwanted spermmistakes busy.
Let's get 'Mom' off the streets and sterilize her, put 'Dad' in jail where he belongs, which will cut down on drug sales and violence, and finally, legalize abortion (including up and to 6 months after birth).
Finally, for the survivors, we already have addressed this issue before - let's do it again.
'Soda Tax'?
Who needs a solution for a problem long solved?
DisapproveThere are SO MANY factories out there that cannot find enough workers with clean records and don't do drugs...

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 11:50pm
You are a baaaaaaaaad man, Pa.

A baaaaaaaaad man.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 2:08am
Ermm...I just got through with a discussion with my own beloved brother, one of the most intelligent and studied people not me (he's a leading 'Mensa Monster'), yet he had never heard of 'The Orphan Trains' and he would not let me regurgitate any stories because they were all so depressing...but they are all true!
No 'soda tax'.
We don't need no stinkin' 'soda tax', NO!
We need a new, more dependable and expendable work force and we KNOW the answer here, too.
Just say 'NO' to any 'soda tax'.
I think the next story I will try to tell my brother will be a cheerful little tale of the 'Industrial Revolution' and how it helped us avoid unnecessary and expensive alternative taxes.Wink
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 3:35pm

According to this article at philly.com, "The sugary-beverages tax approved by Council adds 1.5 cents per ounce to the cost of most drinks with a sugar-based sweetener or artificial sugar substitute."

So, assuming that Wawa Iced Tea comes in a standard 16 oz bottle, a 1.5¢ per oz tax would (or should) only raise the price by .24¢, from .89¢ to $1.13.

If Wawa is charging nearly $2 for it now, it sounds like they took advantage of the sugary beverages tax to price gouge you.

Yep, there were stores taking advantage of this and gouging customers. Few Wawas, 7-11s, CVS, these rinky dink shady gas stations, etc. Jack up the price a little more thinking people would assume it's the tax, and they were not going to pull out a calculator and start doing the math. 

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 4:38pm
Forget it.
No new taxes.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 5:52pm
I LOVE TAXES!!!
MORE TAXES!!!
MORE TAXES!!!
MORE TAXES!!!

C'mon, man!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 1:45pm
The reason for the beverage tax in Philly is due to the fact of the tremendous level of obesity within that city. They are similar to the people described on the TV show Parks And Recreation (the folks living in the fictional town of Pawnee, Indiana were supposed to by tremendously overweight). That is an actuality in Philadelphia. The diet for most of the people in that city consists of fried food, (cheese steaks drenched with cheese whiz) soft pretzels, pizza, funnel cake, donuts etc.....and people slurp down massive quantities of fizzy drinks (pop, or soda as they call it), and they don't seem to care a tiny bit about the level of childhood obesity that is rampant around that city.
The amount of beer consumed by those people is staggering to this Brit. They don't even drink good beer either, mostly that piss water garbage (Bud, Miller, Coors, Pabst etc.).
Philadelphia needs to go on a diet!
One man gathers what another man spills
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 4:10pm
Fatadelphia!!!!

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic