Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Recommended / Not Recommended
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The New "Old" Miracle Whip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New "Old" Miracle Whip
    Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 10:46pm
Apparently  Miracle Whip has gone back to its original recipe from the 1930's.   I was woo'd by the cute print ads.   Now I know....it's NOT Hellmans !!  But Miracle Whip sometimes had its place--even for nostalgic purposes.  This better recipe with good ingredients tastes really good.   A blend of mayo and the old fashioned "cooked" tangy dressings of old that you'd make in your double boiler.   For when you want a bit of sweetness and tang on a sandwich, etc.  Miracle Whip is good stuff.   Give it a chance !  Wink  

The ads are adorable:  http://www.sharpeonline.com/newsandsuch/miracle-whip 

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:00pm
I think I've only had MW a couple of times in my life. I do remember it tasted a bit tangier than mayo.

I do have a little Miracle Whip promotional pen knife identical to this one...

...that I found somewhere many years ago.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Virginia Dare View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:09pm
That's an interesting little artifact, Jimbo !  Hang onto it.  Might be worth something some day.   I just thought that this Miracle Whip reminds me a little of the English Heinz Salad Cream.  Just thicker.  When you read reviews people ALWAYS compare MW to Hellmans and that, as my English Nana would say, is like "comparing chalk and cheese".   

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:13pm
Oh yeah, I've had it since back in the 80's. Can't remember where I found it.

I just went and dug it out of the desk drawer where it lives.

This is the actual knife in my hand...

Neat, huh?
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:18pm
Manicure set.   File on left, and dirt-digger-outter on the right.   

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
DarkRealmStar View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkRealmStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:23pm
This Kraft Miracle Whip Original Dressing has half the fat of mayonnaise and no high-fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors. It is ideal for dressings, dips and sauces. This light miracle whip has a delicious taste and is nutritious as well. Kraft Miracle Whip Original Dressing:
Miracle Whip dressing has half the fat of mayonnaise
Kosher
No high-fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors
Warnings:
Warning Text: CONTAINS: EGG.
Ingredients:
Ingredients: Soybean Oil, Water,Vinegar,Sugar, Modified Cornstarch, Egg Yolks, Salt, Natural Flavor, Mustard Flour, Spice,Paprika, Dried Garlic.
1 Tablespoon is 45 calories.

Kraft regular mayonnaise has 90 calories in 1 Tablespoon.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by Virginia Dare Virginia Dare wrote:

Manicure set.   File on left, and dirt-digger-outter on the right.

That's mostly what it's been used for...

I think I've used it for the occasional hobby application.

C'mon, man!
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virginia Dare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Now why do I hear DEVO singing "Whip it...Miracle Whip it good !"   Great ad campaign...they should hire me for their PR.  Shake up those conservatives !   

"Pickle you....KUMQUAT!"
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:39pm
ol'Mule? Nice artifact. Looks like it has spent some long days scraping up MW that has been hardening on the kitchen floor for something like the last 35 years...

We always had MW. That is one thing my mother always had on hand. I think I recall one of the first things I bought for my first fridge was a jar of Hellmann's mayo because I had always wondered what mayo tasted like.
I always seem to be able to find real deals on MW and I keep plenty around for my 'MW-garlic-tuna surprise'...but an 'original recipe' version of MW? I'll have to go see if I can find some.
Thanks!  
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Virginia Dare Virginia Dare wrote:

Now why do I hear DEVO singing "Whip it...Miracle Whip it good !"   Great ad campaign...they should hire me for their PR.  Shake up those conservatives !

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 5:41pm
^ LOL

I worked with a trim carpenter that was also a pretty good friend. Anytime he told me to 'rip' a piece of wood, I would quip back "Rip it good"!  Always good for a laugh. His partner built guitars, I saw some of his inlay work. A very talented craftsman.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 5:45pm
A guy I used to be friends with, lives in Colorado now, got into guitar building. He and another guy started their own company. Don't know how well it's doing.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 6:21pm
The wife likes MW, she just put it on the shopping list. I like Hellmans.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 8:08pm

A guy I used to be friends with, lives in Colorado now, got into guitar building. He and another guy started their own company. Don't know how well it's doing.

I went to the Martin Guitar Factory last week.  Maybe I already mentioned it.  Cool place.  Lotsa good smells.

sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 1:11am
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

ol'Mule? Nice artifact. Looks like it has spent some long days scraping up MW that has been hardening on the kitchen floor for something like the last 35 years...

We always had MW. That is one thing my mother always had on hand. I think I recall one of the first things I bought for my first fridge was a jar of Hellmann's mayo because I had always wondered what mayo tasted like.
I always seem to be able to find real deals on MW and I keep plenty around for my 'MW-garlic-tuna surprise'...but an 'original recipe' version of MW? I'll have to go see if I can find some.
Thanks!  
My housewife Mom was always in charge of 'food services'. Miracle Whip was the only option. My first taste of mayonnaise was my second year of junior high school (8th grade) when we were sharing the new high school. The cafeteria offered several ala-cart options which included a PBJ sandwich. Peanut butter and grape jelly on 1 slice of bread with mayonnaise on the other. On the very rare occasions I make a PBJ. That is how I do it. I will give the original MW a try.    
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2017 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I went to the Martin Guitar Factory last week.  Maybe I already mentioned it.  Cool place.  Lotsa good smells.

WinkNot around Rockaway, you didn't!LOL 'Nice smells'? Sure it wasn't salamis next to the Eko Martino guitars?

Kidding.

So you wandered into Lehigh Valley, eh? Nice area.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic