Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's the 44th anniversary of hip hop.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's the 44th anniversary of hip hop.
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 4:39pm
Anybody care?

I'm still trying to decipher the difference between rap and hip hop!

There are hip hop/rap songs I like very few.

In the 1970s,1980s,and 1990s the music was semi decent. I think around 2003 when rap/hip hop was about how big your house was, how many ladies and/cars you have that's when music in general and rap/hip hop went down the sh*tter!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Sponsored Links

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Anybody care?

There are hip hop/rap songs I like very few.

In the 1970s,1980s,and 1990s the music was semi decent. I think around 2003 when rap/hip hop was about how big your house was, how many ladies and/cars you have that's when music in general and rap/hip hop went down the sh*tter!

I think it started going (even farther) down the cRapper around 1990-91 when 2 Live Crew gained fame and notoriety for Nasty As We Wanna Be and groups like NWA with their gang affiliations started becoming popular.

Whenever its "heyday" may have been, Rap-Hop still sucked.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:38pm
I said a hip hop, to the hiopity hop and you don't stop." LOL.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.๐Ÿ˜€ Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! ๐Ÿ˜€

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:45pm
It should have been put out of its misery in its infancy
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

If I could travel back in time I'd go back 44 years ago YESTERDAY and make sure hip-hop's inventors would have "a most unfortunate accident" BEFORE they could invent it. Dead
Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:54pm

Given the way so many of them checked out with each other's help, it's not like they didn't try...
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

If I could travel back in time I'd go back 44 years ago YESTERDAY and make sure hip-hop's inventors would have "a most unfortunate accident" BEFORE they could invent it. Dead

You'd have had to kill Debbie Harry, too...

...as she had a bit to do with popularizing it in the late 70's when it was still mostly a Brooklyn thing.

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:20pm
^  Was never that crazy about the song, but I love the way she moves in that video.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Ad nauseous Ad nauseous wrote:

Some black guy at work tried explaining it to me.  I didn't get it.  I said maybe I'd have to be black to get it...just like you'd probably have to be white to get the difference between punk and metal and grunge rock.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:36pm
I'm sure you could Google it.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

^  Was never that crazy about the song, but I love the way she moves in that video.

I like the song, too.  That video is very well done.  Did anyone else notice the goat? LOL

That video is the G [rap video] OAT!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:41pm
One of the few other rap songs that I did like at one time.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:10pm
I've always liked this one.

Theme from the Sean Penn and Robert Duvall movie Colors...

They play part of it near the beginning of the movie but the full version like in this video, is only at the end.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 10:23pm
^ Mama is wondering what in the hell I'm listening to here. LOL

This song plays during the closing credits of one of the Scary Movie series.

Ad Endless Nauseum View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad Endless Nauseum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Today's Doodle was a fake DJ setup. Damned idiots (at Google).

As I understand it, "rap" is the "music" style (and I have arguments about it being "music"), and "hip-hop" is the clothing and lifestyle. They go together, but are not interchangeable. I think.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Defense de fumer et de cracher

A message brought to you by this station and the Ad Council.
Donathan View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 7:26am
My definition between the two

Rap. Talking about how much bling bling you have, spending $500 for bottle service at the Club, your fancy $1,000 Armani Suit, your $500,000 Bentley.

Hip hop. Talking about growing up in the hood and scrapping hard just to survive.
My name is Donathan, pronounced the same way you pronounce Jonathan, except with a D.๐Ÿ˜€ Hitting on a Lesbian who speaks to you and about you like trash means you're REALLY desperate! ๐Ÿ˜€

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 10:35am

Big smile*I* just found the above hippy-hoppy ALL BY MYSELF! Did I do good? Did he 'drop the mic'?

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:15am

I have.  It makes little sense.  Supposedly, "rap" is the music while "hip-hop" is a broader, more cultural term.  But when it comes to hip-hop music versus rap music, no real answer.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:19am
As it comes up in Google...

"One common understanding is that hip-hop is a culture and rapping is one of four elements contained thereinโ€”the others being breakdancing, DJing and graffiti. Today, with the other elements not appearing as prominently as they once did, it's been easy to conflate the two."

I get it.

Hip hop is a broader term and the umbrella that the four elements exist under. That being so, you can call rap "hip hop" music and still be basically correct.

Why do I now feel dumber just for knowing that???

C'mon, man!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 11:35am

Today, with the other elements not appearing as prominently as they once did, it's been easy to conflate the two."

If I said that to the black guy at work I mentioned, he'd tell me that Google is run by whites, so whatever Google comes up with, is wrong.  LOL
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 3:11pm

ย 
Big smile*I* just found the above hippy-hoppy ALL BY MYSELF! Did I do good? Did he 'drop the mic'?
ย 

ROFL! Rapping about bananas LOL!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2017 at 1:59am
44th anniversary of the end of good music...and the death of rock.
I hate hip-hop.
One man gathers what another man spills
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic