Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Admission to Dollywood...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Admission to Dollywood...
    Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 3:27am
Has gone WAY UP since my last visit to this park twelve years ago! Shocked Purchasing my admission online I found out they're charging me almost $30.00 MORE than what I paid at the gate in 2005. Ouch I guess SOMEBODY has to pay for those five roller coasters (Three of which have been labeled Star WORLD CLASS Star by coaster enthusiasts) they've built since my last visit. and let's face it, building them ain't exactly cheap! Confused All I can do is roll with it, it's just part of the cost of having fun! Big smile Visiting Dollywood will be the most expensive thing I'll be doing on my vacation, followed by seeing Dolly's Smoky Mountain Adventure dinner show. The cheapest things I'll be doing will be observing the eclipse (I'll have to pay to park at the Lost Sea, but the price includes a tour of the cave), and go white-water rafting. Big smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
Sponsored Links

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 8:13am
I just hope I don't burn out my eyes looking at the eclipse when its happening.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 12:39pm
I've got my eclipse viewing glasses!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if it's so cloudy and overcast around here that day that the sun is completely hidden by the clouds anyway.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's so cloudy and overcast around here that day that the sun is completely hidden by the clouds anyway.

Are you close enough to see it?
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I would say that we are pretty much the same distance from the sun as everyone else on planet Earth is.... approximately 93 million miles I do believe.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 1:25pm
LOL

OK, you're just messin with me now. I understand that many people may see at least a partial eclipse.
Depending on how far north or south of the path of the total eclipse one might be.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 2:02pm
We're in the 80% - 90% path.

Probably about 85% where I'm at.

C'mon, man!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 2:10pm
That's a great map, Jimbo. I had no idea it would be visible to so many people.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 2:32pm

We're in the 80% - 90% path.

Probably about 85% where I'm at.

be

Considering how close you are to the centerline (That's the zone of totality for those of you in Rio Linda!) If I were you I'd consider taking a day trip to South Carolina to see totality in all its glory (I have a feeling it's going to be a zoo along the centerline, which means I'll be making my way to Lost Sea Caverns AT THE CRACK OF DAWN! Since August 21 is a work and/or school day I can't wonder how many people will be calling themselves and/or kids in "sick" so they can view this eclipse. LOL Whatever it takes to see this eclipse it will be more than worth the effort. Thumbs Up
Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 2:40pm

That's a great map, Jimbo. I had no idea it would be visible to so many people.

You can get viewing glasses at Walmart for $1 a pair

C'mon, man!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 3:05pm

I would say that we are pretty much the same distance from the sun as everyone else on planet Earth is.... approximately 93 million miles I do believe.

That was the answer I immediately thought of. I'm dead center for totality and will have to travel all the way to my backyard.  There is always a chance of 100% cloud cover in Western Oregon. 
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 6:50pm
ConfusedEvery time I look at active threads and I see this one, then read the opening post about the decline of the economy. I sort of wonder if Reg is practicing on us for the GOFUNDME thread he's about to crank up...but I think he may get that trip to Dollywood ~Aaaaand that Hess Truck~ if he secures Sally's help...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2017 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by sgtrock21 sgtrock21 wrote:

]That was the answer I immediately thought of. I'm dead center for totality and will have to travel all the way to my backyard.  There is always a chance of 100% cloud cover in Western Oregon.

Same here, pretty much.

C'mon, man!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2017 at 2:35am
I was talking to some cousins of mine who live in Jasper, Georgia (Located north of Atlanta) and they've told me many of the school districts in north Georgia have declared Monday, August 21 to be "Eclipse Day" and are closing their schools so their students can observe this eclipse. Cool I'm anticipating things are going to be a bit on the hectic side in the zone of totality on the 21st, so I'm going to have the hotel I'm staying in on the 20th give me a wake-up call at 4:00 AM, and I'll make a BEELINE to the Lost Sea, where I already have reservations for their eclipse party. Big smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 5:13pm
I'm not sure I get all of the hype, it's supposed to be cloudy here anyway.

I suppose if you live in the path of totality...Good for you! You had it all planned out, right? Wink

I sure as heck wouldn't spend a dime to get closer to it. I may not even go outside.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/tv/abc-news-to-air-2-hour-solar-eclipse-special/
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 7:43pm

https://www.reviewjournal.com/entertainment/tv/abc-news-to-air-2-hour-solar-eclipse-special/

You can watch the eclipse on TV, but that's NOTHING compared to seeing it for yourself. You see things that can't be seen on film or video, and during totality everything seems to be in a silvery-blue light that also doesn't show up on any media. My equipment (a 3 1/2 inch refractor  telescope and a camcorder (which I purchased at a garage sale in its original, unopened package for less than 10% of what it cost at Targhee or "Uncle Wally's") Smile all fitted out with solar filters are raring to go. All I can say is

Big smile BRING IT ON!!!Big smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 8:41pm
So reg, am I correct in assuming that you plan to take pictures of your trip (including some of yourself and your telescope setup) from your trip and post them here on CIH to share with us all?

We will be expecting to see them and I will be reminding you when you get back!!!

So don't forget!!!

C'mon, man!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 12:34am

So reg, am I correct in assuming that you plan to take pictures of your trip (including some of yourself and your telescope setup) from your trip and post them here on CIH to share with us all?

We will be expecting to see them and I will be reminding you when you get back!!!

So don't forget!!!

I won't be taking any still photographs, but I will be shooting a video of it. I'll dig up a video of a previous trip and tinker with uploading it on youtube before I leave on Sunday.

My iternerary is a follows:

Sunday, August 20. Fly to Chattanooga, Tn. Night in Chattanooga.

Monday, August 21. Wake up at the crack of dawn and drive to Lost Sea Caverns and attend eclipse party. Night in Gatlinburg.

Tuesday, August 22. Hike to summit of Mt. Cameron in the Great Smokies. Attend Dolly Parton's Smoky Mountain Adventure Dinner Show. Night in Gatlinburg.

Wednesday, August 23. Visit Dollywood. Night in Gatlinburg.

Thursday, August 24. Drive to Hiwassee River (Class III whitewater) and go kayaking. Drive to Chattanooga and fly to Sanford, Florida. Return home.
Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 12:40am
Still pics or video, it doesn't matter.

We want to see something!!!!

Make sure you include the telescope and camera setup, too.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 2:12am
Originally posted by RegSig RegSig wrote:

Where will you be when the lights go out on August 21st?
Shufflin' down to Buffalo!
It's a huge business week - one where I will actually NOT be spending most of my time in 'basketball shorts'. I don't even know if my dress clothes will fit, much less are fresh...I may have to raid a few of the finer second-hand stores and buy an entire new wardrobe for about $50 and then go grab some business socks and business underwear for another stinkin' $50 and then go find some 'Soap & Suds' Laundry where you can watch the idiot box and enjoy a few malted beverages while the laundry ladies help make me appear presentable once again, doncha know...Disapprove
I may be going overboard a bit...I even went and got new glasses.

Probably will do all of this with AfgyLad...and then we'll wander to the wilderness of KANAdyLand for some malted beverages of choice...I need to help inspire this young man to get a spouse, married off and makin' me a few Granpups as he lives in the land of beautiful lasses, but you STILL have to screen them. He tells me he's in no rush...wonder if he knows something I don't?

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 8:03pm
Unhappy BUMMER NEWS! Unhappy

The battery on my camcorder gave up its ghost while I was trying to recharge it. I went all over town trying to find a battery to replace it, but none of the stores had it in stock. I can order it online, but nothing short of of having it "beamed" to me would enable me to get it in time to take it with me to Tennessee. Sorry folks, but this trip is "Eyes Only". I will get a pair of replacement batteries after I return, but if you want to see the eclipse it will be televised on many OTA and Pay-TV networks.
Poiuyt Power!!!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 8:50pm
I'm gonna have to enroll in the Regulas school of government assitance.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by regulus regulus wrote:

Unhappy BUMMER NEWS! Unhappy

The battery on my camcorder gave up its ghost while I was trying to recharge it. I went all over town trying to find a battery to replace it, but none of the stores had it in stock. I can order it online, but nothing short of of having it "beamed" to me would enable me to get it in time to take it with me to Tennessee. Sorry folks, but this trip is "Eyes Only". I will get a pair of replacement batteries after I return, but if you want to see the eclipse it will be televised on many OTA and Pay-TV networks.

That's OK, reg.

We will be OK with still pics.

I know you must have a still digital camera, either on your phone or just by itself.

And even if you don't have a digital camera, you can pick up a decent one that will take good quality pics at Walmart for under $20. Under $15 even.

You can't go on a great trip like that and not take a camera!!!

We want to see pics of your trip and there's no excuse for not having a camera and posting pics here to share with your CIH friends!!!!

We are expecting to see PICTURES!!!!

NO EXCUSES!!!!

C'mon, man!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 9:19pm
I'll attempt to take a picture during totality, but I cannot make any promises as for how it will turn out. But I will try.
Poiuyt Power!!!
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 9:55pm
You don't have to take pics of the eclipse itself, just wherever you are. You know, the crowd, etc.

Share the experience with us!!!!

C'mon, man!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic