Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Total Solar Eclipse 8/21/2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Total Solar Eclipse 8/21/2017
    Posted: 07 May 2017 at 4:58am
I just booked my trip to Tennessee to see the Solar Eclipse this August. Allegiant Airlines has a flight from Sanford, Florida to Chattanooga, Tennessee for a wallet-busting $102.00 round trip. Shocked I will leave Florida on Sunday, August 20. I plan to observe the eclipse from the foothills parkway just west of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. After Seeing the eclipse I plan to spend a day hiking to a mountaintop in the Smoky Mountains. As a last Hurrah I'll spend the last day at Dollywood, which has opened five roller coasters since my last visit.

Are any of you fellow CIHers planning to see this eclipse? Post away my friends!Smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 5:30am
ConfusedBe careful, Reg. Think you've reserved a round-trip on the 'OxyContin Special', there? 
Actually I know precisely where you are going - one of my favorite areas and near where we would take our kids gem mining, when they were young. Having said that, for hiking, I'd suggest a short ride east toward Linville Falls...or Grandfather Mountain State Park.
Now, Dollywood should be interesting, between the storm damage and also the roller coaster ride that much of the art/display was supplied by the History Channel's American Pickers.
And no, nobody expects you are running around dealing 'Hillbilly Heroin', but I'm certain you'll be profiled.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:59am
I'll probably forget about it.  Then, when it happens, I'll run around like a nutcase outside, screaming "It's the end of the world!!  It's the end of the world!!", like I always do.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:10am
If I have enough money I might go white water rafting on the upper Ocoee River (I've done the lower Ocoee a few times, including one trip where I took on the lower stretch in a one man "Duckee"). The lower stretch is designated Class IV, the upper is Class V. Shocked H-E (Double Hockey Sticks) or High Water I'm going to have fun. Big smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 2:46pm
You should go to Grandfather Mountain. There is a walking/swinging bridge which is sort of shaky, but it is a relatively-short bridge. At one point, I believe the drop is about 1000 feet.
Swinging Bridge
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 6:12pm
If I can't go white water rafting I'll visit Grandfather Mountain (It's always good to have a backup plan). Thumbs Up Like wise Carowinds will back up Dollywood and the Atomic Energy Museum will back up my day-hike in the Great Smoky Mountains. If they aren't needed the backups will have priority the next time I'm in this area (It's always good to "save something for seed"). Smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 6:15pm
Travel to see an eclipse? I should manage our income better. Confused
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 6:25pm
Get yourself on the gub'mint dole.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 7:00pm
I can tap into my SS fund, that we all paid into through our careers. Well, some of us.

I don't see that as charity. Mama's plan pays us just under 2K a month.
It's been a long time since I had to live on $500 a week.
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 5:02am
Bummer News! Unhappy The white water raft outfitters in the area only do the Upper Ocoee River on Saturdays and Sundays, so I won't be able to take this stretch on. But there's another river nearby, The Hiwassee River and they do runs of this river every day during the summer. I'll do this river in a "Ducky" on my last day, and at $25.00 it's a bargain. Smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

Travel to see an eclipse? I should manage our income better. Confused
I am directly in the path.Big smile
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 2:31pm
We're not directly in the path here in Central Florida but we're positioned to see it at between .8 and .9 magnitude, which is almost as good as seeing it in the direct path.

Kinda questionable as to how worth all the expense it would be to travel out of state just to see a little bit bigger sliver of the sun covered up.

But then again, it's as good an excuse to travel, sightsee and have fun as any other.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender

C'mon, man!
timdubya View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timdubya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:49pm
I'm right in the path of totality too. 
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:20pm
I'm nowhere within the path and will probably be even further away by Aug 21.

Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I'll probably forget about it.  Then, when it happens, I'll run around like a nutcase outside, screaming "It's the end of the world!!  It's the end of the world!!", like I always do.

ConfusedI bet you're nekkid when you do that...just like you greet 'Trick or Treaters' at Halloween...
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:26pm

I used to look at these events through several layers of film negatives. Then there was the 'paper plate' method. A pretty lame result but it worked.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 8:45pm
You can use a detachable lens from an old 35mm camera and use it to project the image onto a piece of white paper or cardboard, too.

Think I might do that.

C'mon, man!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:01pm
I always just stared at the eclipse while it was happening and now I can't tell if the spots I see are from blindness or a side-effect of my prescription....
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:26pm
I've looked straight at the sun before.

When I as a kid.

Hope I don't suddenly go blind when I'm around 70.

C'mon, man!
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 9:28pm
     Chasing The Ace
              My 2017 Roller Coaster Trip

Here's my tentative Iternary!

Sunday. August 20. Fly from Sanford, Florida  to Chattanooga, Tennessee. Night in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Monday, August 21. Eclipse Day! Watch the eclipse at the Lost Sea in Madisonville, Tennessee (They're on the centerline of this eclipse, five gets you ten they will be hosting a party! (Bear in mind this is tentative, I am prepared to go 200 miles east or west in the event of inclement weather)). Celebrative Dinner at the Open Hearth Restaurant in Gatlinburg, TN. Night in Gatlinburg.

Tuesday, August 22. Drive to Cosby, Tennessee. Hike to Cameron Mountain in the Smoky Mountains. (Note: This is the northernmost peak in the Smokies, during my last trip here I took on Shuckstack, which is the southernmost peak in this range!). Night in Gatlinburg.

Wednesday, August 23. Visit Dollywood (They've opened five new roller coasters since my last visit! Big smile) then attend the Dixie Stampede Show in Pigeon Forge. Star Night in Gatlinburg

Thursday, August 24. Go White-Water Rafting on the Hiwassee River (I will take on this river in a one-man "ducky"). Then make my way to Chattanooga and return to Florida.

Firiday, August 25. Begin planning next year's roller coaster trip! LOL
Poiuyt Power!!!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 10:07pm
ConfusedWell Reg...I wonder if everyone else wanted to see all of that or if you were filling us in so you could get our addresses for the souvenirs we all should be expecting. 
Lessee here...here's *MY* agenda for *this week*!Clap Howzabout everyone else?!Big smileWink

Monday: Work, eat, sit on my ass and let the idiot box watch me sleep.

Tuesday: Work, eat, sit on my ass and let the idiot box watch me sleep.

Wednesday: Work, eat, sit on my ass and let the idiot box watch me sleep.

Thursday: Work, eat, sit on my ass and let the idiot box watch me sleep.

Friday: Work, eat, sit on my ass and let the idiot box watch me sleep.

Saturday: Work, eat, sit on my ass and let the idiot box watch me sleep.

Sunday: Take elders out for 'Mothers Day Dinner', work, eat, sit on my ass and let the idiot box watch me sleep, head to Great White North Den.

regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:52pm
UPDATE: I just found out The Lost Sea WILL be hosting an Eclipse Party, so this will be my first pick for observing "The Great American Eclipse" (Yup, this eclipse has been named!). "The Main Event" (Totality) will be the shortest duration of all the eclipses I've had privilige of of seeing at the centerline. Here's the duration for each of those eclipses (Rounded to the nearest 30 seconds)

1991. (Total) 7 Minutes

1994. (Annular, A.K.A. "Ring of Fire") 4 Minutes 30 Seconds

1998. (Total) 5 Minutes

2012. (Annular) 4 minutes

If you miss the opportunity to see this eclipse the next two eclipses to cross the fruited plain will be an Annular Eclipse in October of 2023 and a Total Eclipse in May of 2024. The town of Utopia, Texas will in the path of BOTH eclipses. "X" will literally mark the spot! Big smile
Poiuyt Power!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic