Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Miscellaneous :: Off-Topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any old songs that you can't forget.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any old songs that you can't forget.
    Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 6:58pm
I must have heard it on the radio...a one hit wonder.

I married my first wife in 1979, this song played a lot on the cassette player in my Firebird on the way to Gatlinburg for our honeymoon. When you fight on the honeymoon, the relationship is doomed!

Sponsored Links

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 9:27pm
Isn't every song that's not a hit or on a hit album, pretty much obscure?

Here's one I heard today on WFMU.  It's a Moog cover of a song that was a hit elsewhere, but not here.  Top 40, though.  I remember it though from the early 70s.  Never really liked it.  Oddly, though, for some reason, I looked at the video (of the hit version) last night on Youtube, and this morning, I heard this Moog cover version on the radio.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

I must have heard it on the radio...a one hit wonder.

I married my first wife in 1979, this song played a lot on the cassette player in my Firebird on the way to Gatlinburg for our honeymoon. When you fight on the honeymoon, the relationship is doomed!

The late 70's was definitely the era of the romantic ballad.

Lotta Christopher Cross type gooey vocals and lyrics, but still, very "musician-y". 

Instrumentally and musically complex.

That song you posted (which I remember, btw) reminds me of this one from that same era, and which also about New Orleans. 

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 11:46am
^I remember that one too.

This was a hit on the radio as well, and very well done.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 1:43pm
^  Yeah, that one was the hit, but it's actually the live 1972 version of the song they recorded years earlier.  The original recording was never a hit.  I'm not even sure it was released as a single at the time (1967).

Here's the original:

Why do I even know this crap?  LOL

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 6:56pm
^LOL

You are the undisputed music expert on the forum.
I like my version better, better sound quality and it sounds like they are using an orchestra too.

These old songs are still some on my favorites.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 7:23pm
I agree.  I like the "hit" version better, too.  I think some of that has to do with advancements made in recording during those 5 years.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 7:34pm
Here's the newest bit of useless trivia I learned:

Do you know the bridge in Mott the Hoople's Roll Away the Stone in which Ian Hunter speaks to a woman about going to a party?  It goes like this:

Hunter: There's a rockabilly party on Saturday night.  Are you gonna be there?
Female: Well I got my invite.
Hunter: Gonna bring your records?
Female: Oh, will do

Seems Hunter lifted that from some Godawful (and totally obscure) song from the 50s called Rockabilly Party.

1:49...

Here's where he got that from:

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:24pm
After my parents split up, my mom had a place on the south shore of Wawasee, I had a neighbor that was several years older but they didn't mind if I hung around. Smoking pot and playing chess.
He had this AWESOME stereo system blasting out Mott the Hoople.

I have posted this here before.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 8:54pm
Another song that touches my emotions.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:10pm
This is one you never hear anywhere but it brings memories of 15 flooding back to me. It was one of my favorite songs for awhile until it disappeared from the airwaves and I never heard it again until YouTube....

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:15pm

Another song that touches my emotions.

Oh, I recognize that one.

Never knew the name of the band, though.

The only rock song I associate with marmalade is this one...

I think I actually still have the 45....
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:18pm
^ Great song, when I was working at Merrill's marina. We had a good rock station from Ft. Wayne.  WRBR, I think.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:19pm
^  For me, that would've been Take a Look Around.  I loved it way back when, but haven't heard it since.

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:21pm

aka...

Still like that Mercy song.

Reflections is a weird one:

The world is a bad place
A sad place
A terrible place to live

Yikes.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

aka...

Still like that Mercy song.

Reflections is a weird one:

The world is a bad place
A sad place
A terrible place to live

Yikes.
Not really!

Back then, it wasn't so bad!
Look at 9/11, this world sucks!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2017 at 9:43pm
^  I dunno.  The Vietnam War, the Kennedy/Kennedy/King assassinations, race riots, protests, the Black Panthers, Charles Manson, Altamont, drugs, rock star deaths---there was a lotta bad stuff going on back then.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

This is one you never hear anywhere but it brings memories of 15 flooding back to me. It was one of my favorite songs for awhile until it disappeared from the airwaves and I never heard it again until YouTube....

^ Great song, when I was working at Merrill's marina. We had a good rock station from Ft. Wayne. WRBR, I think.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:08pm
Sometimes, I get carried away with some of my moments from the past.
My dad let me mow the yard when I was only 8 years old. I very nice John Deere tractor.

I was singing this song to myself...giving it a little extra choke just because I could.

Hey! The engine sounds great when it chokes!

While I was being an idiot, my future brother in law just happened to be passing by. True story!

I killed the` engine and was rolling backward towards a split rail fence, I crashed through the fence and ended up in the ditch on the other side of the road.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:28pm
I remember that song.

There was at least one remake in the 80's I think.

Juice Newton or some such flash in the pan.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 5:32pm
I have always loved these guys, "Ya hey der"

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 5:43pm
This song was best using the headphones, my cheap stereo from that time could not produce a deep bass sound.
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 6:44pm
I am reluctant to replace my old computer, mostly because I have some great speakers and a sub-woofer.  The music is grand!

DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:13pm
What's considered old? 20 years+? 30 years+? Even at 30 years+ I could name hundreds of songs.

Considering I listen to all of these guys, and remember a great many songs from all of them:The Who, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Chuck Berry, Lynryd Skynyrd, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Marty Robbins, Johnny Horton, Charlie Daniels, John Fogerty/CCR, Alice Cooper, Ozzy, Dio, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Gordon Lightfoot, The Pogues, Pink Floyd, Rainbow, Mercyful Fate, Metallica, Megadeth, Venom, Overkill, Savatage, the score from Conan the Barbarian, Candlemass, Metal Church, Testament, Helloween, New Model Army, Anthrax, Hank Williams Jr, Willie Nelson, Steve Earle, and many more.

All of the artists on the above list released their debut album 30+ years ago...
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
msmadz View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll
8+ years on CIH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msmadz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 10:56pm
I listen to an oldies station out of the east end of long island, my. WLNG. I can be listening to creedance and James Taylor and then they'll slip in Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra. But a few that I can't get out of my head are: the night that the lights went out in Georgia ( Vicky Lawrence) and dark lady by Cher. I surprised myself with how much of the lyrics I remembered.
The artist formerly known as Madawee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic