Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Verizon unlimited 'Drop the Mic' (video)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

I looked this up in Wikipedia.  It started mainly as a rap thing, as "an expression of triumph for a successful event and indicates a boastful attitude toward one's own performance."  I guess it's like the end zone dance.

White performers don't really do this.  Maybe whites are supposed to show more humility or something.

Well, most rap has always been about braggadocio, strutting around and oversized egos. Bragging about their money and their crib and their bling, and their ride and their ho's and their imaginary "talent", etc, etc, etc.

So that kind of thing fits right in with all of that.
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:40pm

Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

OuchI am SO tired of white people learning an ounce of bling and then feeling free to 'be black', as with this commercial. I would like to shove one of the mics down the pitch man's throat.

I looked this up in Wikipedia.  It started mainly as a rap thing, as "an expression of triumph for a successful event[1] and indicates a boastful attitude toward one's own performance."  I guess it's like the end zone dance.

White performers don't really do this.  Maybe whites are supposed to show more humility or something.

ConfusedI'm thinkin' yer right - we're supposed to 'drop the hammer' when we are done nailing ourselves to crosses...
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:45pm

ConfusedI'm thinkin' yer right - we're supposed to 'drop the hammer' when we are done nailing ourselves to crosses...

I don't think it's a black vs white thing.

I think it's a rap vs real music thing.

Lotta great black musicians with awesome talent who produce real music and none of whom drop their mics after a performance.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2017 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I don't think it's a black vs white thing.

I think it's a rap vs real music thing.

Lotta great black musicians with awesome talent who produce real music and none of whom drop their mics after a performance.
ShockedOh my goodness! Who said anything about 'black versus white'? I'm just another awesome talent who produces reals posts and one of the many who do not 'drop the mic' when we log off...EmbarrassedWink
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
tikibagger View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2017 at 3:22am
Just to slightly get back to the 'drop the mic' dooshe..who is surely now taken the TWERPIEST prize away from Progressive Jamie..
'oh that darn MIC is so heavy my stringy ARMS can't hold it for more than 20 SECONDS...'
..Verizon..drop this excrement IMMEDIATELY
...YUMMY Broccolini!!....
launchingsnail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote launchingsnail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 1:28pm

I looked this up in Wikipedia.  It started mainly as a rap thing, as "an expression of triumph for a successful event https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mic_drop#cite_note-1 - [1] and indicates a boastful attitude toward one's own performance."  I guess it's like the end zone dance.

I'm glad someone figured it out. Googling it brought me to this site.

Really... this ad runs constantly on ABC's and FX's streaming services. I've been completely puzzled why this idiot is dropping microphones constantly. The point was completely lost on me. It's obvious I must not be part of Verizon's target demographics.
Mynameisbrad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mynameisbrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2017 at 6:56pm
I was tempted to register for an account here just to vent about these commercials. I abstained.

But just now I saw that SPRINT HAS LAMPOONED THIS COMMERCIAL, with that cloying asschicken Paul peddling the same "1 percent difference and 50 percent greater cost" crap shut up shut UP SHUT UP, before saying "Can you hear that?" and dropping the mic like the douche he is.

I was once in a serious relationship with a girl. When I found out she was cheating on me, I moved out and moved on. She was upset that I would do this, so she proceeded to smear my name to a number of our mutual friends, with not really any success. When I see Paul from Sprint, I see my horrible ex.

So now, instead of being annoyed at these irksome Verizon commercials, now I am just pissed at Sprint for having ad execs who sit up all night watching Verizon commercials just so they can shoehorn that Paul douche bag into a half-baked spoof of them.
Triple J View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triple J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 4:49am
"Drop the mic" ... pfft... I've seen other singers do this like 30 years ago. Guys like Billy Idol & Holly Johnson from Frankie Goes To Hollywood. They were trying to look badass. Nowadays it's become a cliché ... rhetorical... 'nuff said ... that kinda thing. It's just lame. Thumbs Down

Speaking of "drop," I'd like to drop that dork in the commercial like a bad habit. Him and that damned "Paul from Sprint" tard.
DKS View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:01pm
Someone should replace the mic with a live hand grenade.
"I see the sadness in their eyes
Melancholy in their cries
Devoid of all the passion
The human spirit cannot die"
the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2017 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Speaking of "drop," I'd like to drop that dork in the commercial like a bad habit.

Dork is right. Such an unlikably bland, milquetoast personality. Irritating to watch. Exactly what audience is supposed to find the guy endearing?
usmaak View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmaak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by the raytownian the raytownian wrote:

Originally posted by Triple J Triple J wrote:

Speaking of "drop," I'd like to drop that dork in the commercial like a bad habit.

Dork is right. Such an unlikably bland, milquetoast personality. Irritating to watch. Exactly what audience is supposed to find the guy endearing?
The same morons who loved the Verizon commercials.  The same people who still walk around saying "can you hear me now?" while laughing at themselves like it's something clever and original.  They don't notice that nobody is laughing at their lame joke except themselves.  The people who think that Sprint is really within 1% of Verizon.

Edit: Just realized that I wasn't commenting on the correct commercial.  I read bland, milquetoast personality and thought of the former Verizon, now Sprint guy.  Oops LOL
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 3:29pm
There seem to be new fundamental rules now to ad 'creation'..

1. Feature dorks of clown like 'identifiable characters' so the 'proles' know whos brand it is

2. Neglect to make them funny but give them a gimmick (Flo=clown, Jan=quirky insect like receptionist, Pat, toyota obsessed retard BUT a dad, this verizon guy, wormlike human with many mikes)pulled from the 'headlines of today'...

3. Beat said cliche behavior into the ground but always have a second 'genius' character in the back...Geico=practically ALL their ads, Progressive=that heinous box, Toyota = random celebs

insertclevernamehere View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insertclevernamehere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 6:38pm
Dropping the mic comes from battling. You do it to say your opponent can't possibly reply to what you just said/spit. You're dropping the mic to say it's over rather than handing it to your opponent for another turn. It also applies to the end of a performance that you killed or after making a statement, etc. The whole point is "It's over. Come at me if you got a problem".

And it was awesome when Mayor Nutter rapped and dropped the mic haha. People always clowned him because he's corny and middle class but he's from West Philly and was a DJ at one point.

It's been expanded to kids like my generation (late 80s babies) who grew up around it but where it isn't our culture but we never took it seriously. Because we understand and respect boundaries. People of color in media, etc figuratively do it when they've made an important point and little sh*ts like this guy have of course co-opted it for their own supposed "journalism". The worst thing about this commercial is guys like that are the people writing about hip hop these days. They co-opt everything as a "youth" thing when in reality it's never been. f**k him and every other culture vulture douche. He's not even a nerd. Guarantee you ten years ago he was trying to be a prep or ghetto.
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tikibagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 4:29am
on their new continuous 'GENIUS' ads, this crap sack STEALS samsungs while talking to a cute Verizon engineer who happens to be Middle Eastern..its a wonder he has the ARM strength to lift 3 whole phones...anemic dork.
insertclevernamehere View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insertclevernamehere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by tikibagger tikibagger wrote:

on their new continuous 'GENIUS' ads, this crap sack STEALS samsungs while talking to a cute Verizon engineer who happens to be Middle Eastern..its a wonder he has the ARM strength to lift 3 whole phones...anemic dork.
Yo my absolute FAVORITE part of that new ad is that they purposely use a girl who isn't even 5 ft tall to make that little runt seem bigger and taller than he is.
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 12:11am
I don't know what's worse, the original idiotic self-congratulatory Verizon mic drop crap or the faux commercials from Sprint representing the response to Verizon's crap. Complete with the doofus in glasses Paul. Screw it! I hate both equally!
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic