Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Activism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian_concannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Activism
    Posted: 14 Feb 2017 at 10:55pm
Are there activists in this forum, or any other of this website's forums, where people actually pursue change, instead  of merely complaining?  I would like to join them or even lead them.
Sponsored Links

Cranedy Pouth View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cranedy Pouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:01am
Welcome. But, it's called "Commercials I Hate," for a good reason.
Using nuclear weapons on problem people is not the answer, you psychopath!

Also, Keith Richards is a damn cockroach outliving everybody! LOL
regulus View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote regulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 3:22am
Pardon me for "Preaching" I did my contribution to the activism crowd a little over ten years ago when I CANCELLED my subscription to a Pay TV provider (I was P*ss*d off after I saw an ad for one of those "Erectile Dysfunction" pills, as well as other "Adult Products" aired DURING A CHILDREN'S SHOW!Angry In the ten years since then I have amassed a collection of TV Shows, Movies, Serials an Documentaries that's so huge that at the rate of four hours an evening I'll be in my 80s before I run out of shows to watch. I know I'm not alone, in the last five years the Pay-TV providers have been losing subscribers in droves. Some have done what I've done, others have turned to streaming services such as Netflix, Vudu and other "streaming" services or simply watch the free OTA channels and their "substations". (The OTA Networks such as CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and CW are also losing viewers as well). I consider myself a "Pioneer" among these kind of viewers. There's no doubt all of us do not like viewing the insane amount of advertising that's tossed at us either through the 20 plus minutes of commercials each hour (As well as what's on those commercials as well as the on-screen advertising that obscures a chunk of what we are watching and the outrageous prices they are slamming us with). I'm sure you've heard of a company "voting with their feet" (That's closing up shop and moving to a location that's more favorable to them to those of you in Rio Linda!). Since "Voting with my eyeballs" in 2007 millions of others have done the exact same thing I have done, and I don't blame them. The entertainment industry should take notice. Their are are greener pastures out there, and we have found them.
Poiuyt Power!!!
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 5:03am
Originally posted by brian_concannon brian_concannon wrote:

Are there activists in this forum, or any other of this website's forums, where people actually pursue change, instead  of merely complaining?  I would like to join them or even lead them.

Well, I can't speak for everyone...
I just come here to bitch.  (Very therapeutic, by the way!)

But tell you what:  I see that damn GEICO gecko, I'll run his ass over.
He does have an ass right? 

If not, substitute Flo.   
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 5:28am
Originally posted by Anduril Anduril wrote:

But tell you what:  I see that damn GEICO gecko, I'll run his ass over.
He does have an ass right? 

If not, substitute Flo.   

Better read your policy.  I don't think damage to your car from running into Flo's ass is covered...  LOL

Quote brian_concannon wrote:

Well, good luck with that.  Most people here aren't going to drag their TV's & couches to demonstrations (and risk losing them to fires being set when a riot breaks out.  LOL)  But seriously, if you want to change things, peacefully work within our long-established system of laws and government and run for office yourself... Wink
sgtrock21 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgtrock21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 6:17am

If you are addressing political activism there is a political forum included. If you are addressing change of advertising strategies quite a few members contact those who authorize/ pay for the ads with suggestions. If your definition of activism is smashing windows and burning down cities. probably not.Confused
EEEEts All so REEEdEEEculous
brian_concannon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian_concannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:09pm
Wow!  I actually got good responses!

I can donate  money and time (preferred) to the cause, in a peaceful way.

Running for office to get to the required position of power to actually improve things would take 20 years at least, and I am 68, so that's out.  I wanted to do something like this since I was 12, I think.  Too late for me now.

I tried to get into the political forum but was not successful.  I don't remember what the problem was. (Sign of "old" age).  

Thank you all, I will keep at it.

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 4:16pm
Once you make 10 posts (points) you will be allowed in the political/creative sections.
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 5:14pm
What I'm wondering is exactly what you think we should or even could do?

What kind of activism are you talking about? Anti-commercial activism?

As much as I'd like to see something done about crappy commercials, I cannot imagine what that could be.

Hard to regulate taste and every commercial we find disgusting and annoying has plenty of people who like it or respond to it by buying the product.

Looks like we are relegated to just bitching and complaining with the hope that someone from the company comes here and sees it then decides to change the ad.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian_concannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 6:54pm
Not so fast.

I think a technological innovation could help us.  I have been pondering an internet based service that tells a viewer whenever a commercial is on any channel, all channels.  This takes an observer who flips a switch to "on" when a commercial comes on, and flips it to "off" when the normal program comes back on.  This information is put on a website.   All channels.  What has a commercial, and what does not.

So the viewer has his/her laptop running an app that constantly updates this listing.

Now I would design a universal remote control that would be like normal ones except that it skips channels that are running a commercial.  Having a PhD in Electrical Engineering helps me with this task.  This universal remote could be under USB control of the laptop, or 802.11 control (wifi) or Bluetooth or whatever.

Also, when the viewer clicks channel up or channel down, the redesigned remote would actually simulate pressing the upchannel button (or downchannel button) n times, n>0, to get to the next desired channel.

A prototype redesigned remote would be made perhaps with solenoids to physically press the up/down channel buttons.   The laptop app could automatically go up or down in channels numbers whenever an add starts on the present channel.

Yah?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian_concannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 6:58pm
Of course the app would have the capability to get the viewer back to the channel he originally left.  There could be a channel prioritized preference list of the top m channels to be returned to.

The possibiliites are mind boggling.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian_concannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 7:07pm
Guess what?   I found out about "IR Blasters" in many models of smart phones.  The app I spoke of before could be a mobile app and no remote modification would be required.  Just aim your smart phone IR port at the TV/cable box and away you go!!!!  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian_concannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 8:14pm
I did it.  Go see my TV Ad Skipper campaign at gofundme.com!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 8:27pm
^LOL 

Check with this guy.

He is an award winning music promoter/manager. The guy is made of money, this might be right up his back alley. Good luck.
Originally posted by Cranedy Pouth Cranedy Pouth wrote:

Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 8:31pm

Not so fast.

I think a technological innovation could help us.  I have been pondering an internet based service that tells a viewer whenever a commercial is on any channel, all channels.  This takes an observer who flips a switch to "on" when a commercial comes on, and flips it to "off" when the normal program comes back on.  This information is put on a website.   All channels.  What has a commercial, and what does not.

So the viewer has his/her laptop running an app that constantly updates this listing.

Now I would design a universal remote control that would be like normal ones except that it skips channels that are running a commercial.  Having a PhD in Electrical Engineering helps me with this task.  This universal remote could be under USB control of the laptop, or 802.11 control (wifi) or Bluetooth or whatever.

Also, when the viewer clicks channel up or channel down, the redesigned remote would actually simulate pressing the upchannel button (or downchannel button) n times, n>0, to get to the next desired channel.

A prototype redesigned remote would be made perhaps with solenoids to physically press the up/down channel buttons.   The laptop app could automatically go up or down in channels numbers whenever an add starts on the present channel.

Yah?

Thanks, but I can barely figure out the remotes I have.

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by aka ron aka ron wrote:

^LOL 

Check with this guy.

He is an award winning music promoter/manager. The guy is made of money, this might be right up his back alley. Good luck.

Originally posted by Cranedy Pouth Cranedy Pouth wrote:

^^

I was waiting for the inevitable sales pitch/money grab...

CapeCat View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapeCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 9:53pm
Hmmm.  Can it possibly be that this thread was started an advertisement for the OP's  "newly-invented product"??

Just noting how he went from a challenge/announcement to all of us on the forum,  to research, to product development,   to "check out my invention  at Gofundme," all at lightning-quick speed.

How's that again???  Ermm

CapeCat
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 10:14pm
About the time he figures out that nobody here is gullible enough to be taken in by it, he'll give up on us and go look somewhere else.
Darthhillbilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darthhillbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2017 at 11:16pm
Do broadcasters even HAVE listings available to the general public as to which commercials are going to air on what channels at given times? Like a TV Guide just for commercials? I'm sure that information is available to the advertisers, but to John Q. TVWatcher?

Seems like in order for such a device to work, it would have to have access to each and every commercial TV Guide out there, with the cooperation of each and every broadcaster out there, in each and every market.. and let's face it, what broadcaster is going to give you free reign to skip their channel during the money-making phase?

Well-written scam. I applaud you. But that clap is all you're getting from me. Clap

I mean, come on, the word "Con" is actually part of your screen name. LOL
"It's never too late to choose life...instead of the internet. Just drop the mouse." - Darwin Watterson
Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 12:20am
Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

Do broadcasters even HAVE listings available to the general public as to which commercials are going to air on what channels at given times? Like a TV Guide just for commercials? I'm sure that information is available to the advertisers, but to John Q. TVWatcher?

Seems like in order for such a device to work, it would have to have access to each and every commercial TV Guide out there, with the cooperation of each and every broadcaster out there, in each and every market.. and let's face it, what broadcaster is going to give you free reign to skip their channel during the money-making phase?

Well-written scam. I applaud you. But that clap is all you're getting from me. Clap

I think what he's talking about is having human operators in every TV market monitoring all the channels and sending out an alert via a website or app, that in turn, sends a wireless signal from your computer/device, to the "special remote" which will in turn, either change the channel automatically to one that no commercial is currently on, or if you surf up or down manually, will automatically skip past any channel that is currently running one.

Sounds pretty complicated and of course, would not be free since all of the infrastructure as well as human channel monitors, etc, would need to be paid for. So there would probably be a monthly membership fee involved.

And of course, make a hefty profit for the people who started the whole thing.

I think I'll just stick to the good ol' mute button.

Originally posted by Darthhillbilly Darthhillbilly wrote:

I mean, come on, the word "Con" is actually part of your screen name. LOL

He's a regular "con cannon"....
the raytownian View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the raytownian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 1:17am

I would like to join them or even lead them.

Ambition to be a leader: A sure sign that you shouldn't be leading anyone. Any person who isn't dragged kicking and screaming into such a position is suspect in my eyes. Angry
Anduril View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anduril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 2:24am
Well, whatever.
Can't blame a guy for trying.  (We can still bitch about the effort, though!) 

Anyway - the type of "activism" I would have in mind is "Extreme Fact Checking".
It would work something like this:

You see an ad claiming "15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance".
Immediately the fact-checker pops up.

Yes, you could save 15%.  You could also drown in a thimble-full of toothpaste.
Or, "People who switched saved an average of $596 by switching to Progressive".  Or whatever.

The first alert you get is the "arbitrary precision" flag.  Not $595, not $597, not even $600. 
That's followed by the explanation that the "savings" are only based on folks who paid less than they did with their prior policy -- irrespective of whether they are buying the same amount of insurance with the same terms and conditions attached.

In other words, I can "save" money if I drop my kids off my policy, sign up for less coverage, and accept a higher deductible.  (That's hardly a "savings".)

Also, those who ended up paying more -- even for the same exact coverage -- aren't included in the average -- because the premise clearly states that "Those who saved money..."  So if you paid more, you're in a different category (by design, so you don't drag down the $596 average).

In short:  ONE BIG FAT JUICY LIE.  -- but oddly, one that is "technically" correct! Shocked

Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 2:47am
No thanks I'll stick with the mute button. Satisfies my urge to mute the mother@#$&ers garbage that they air on TV.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
Kelly H View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelly H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 3:28am
at excited dude on activism - sorry didn't catch your name - briansomething? Sorry, but I'm far too lazy to follow half of what you're babbling on about, and can't be bothered to click my ipad over to the "go fund me" site you speak of.,,,,*yawn, think I'll go play some CoD.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2017 at 4:05am

Well, the first thing wrong here is this topic was started in the wrong forum.

What size asshole ya got there, Brian? Think I wanna rip ya a new one...but kindly. There might even be some advice (you decide if it is worthy) in the below message that follows the <mood.music>.
Yea, your posts have put me there.

The technical baloney you blurted out?
We may just have some technically-astute members, here (maybe even a scientist or three).
Your idea is silly and most of us slightly-technical types weren't born yesterday.
Besides that...think a minute! Look back at your 'benefit' and think of the real message it leaves.
Yea, not a footprint I would want to leave, much less want to have on my headstone - "Saved all couch potatoes up to 15% of their aggravation by using fast feeds everywhere to change commercial content" (Big smileClapBut WAIT! Here's a quiz for the Inquiring Mindless, who need to know how many commercials were sampled to create that no-thought epitaph?). 
I will say agree with those that have voiced concern because of the use of GOFUNDME, too. Anybody with a worthy idea would readily have headed to a 'shark tank', rather than a forum like this to find a corporate sponsor...and the right 'sharks' would come when they smelled green profit - but, GOFUNDME? Your idea won't work because you're too friggin' lazy to know how to even kick-start it correctly and even a blind man and his blond wife can see you simply want money for nothing.
Go to a library.
Go to an economist (or money advisor).
Go to your local social services and ask to find a business start-up advisory service.
Or, be a good crook and name your small business, charter it in Deleware (still may be about $50), and go for that federal SBA loan...but I shouldn't say anymore 'cause we have honest lawyers as members, too. I want to keep my friends as they are few and far between. 

Oh...wait!!! Lest I forget - yea, sure - we're 'sheeple' looking for a leader...right LOL
You could also check into the Forum Administrator, rules and guidelines and so forth...

What you've started with this thread is not unusual for some old guy with a bar tab in Evansville, Indiana, but I've got another idea for the next round, which is on you.
Let's play 'Find the 'hidden message', okeydokey?! You go first... 
R.I.P.
X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic