Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television Related Rants
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Curse of Oak Island

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curse of Oak Island
    Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 12:16am
These guys (the Lagina Brothers) digging up poor old Oak Island in Nova Scotia is one of television' greatest ripoffs (as in when Heraldo Riviera tried to dig into Al Capone's alleged vault in Chicago).
Boring. Predictable. The sort of stuff that commercial TV is made for.

Each week the brothers pour money into the rathole and hope to find a supposed treasure. And they keep finding ways to bore the audience (with brother Rick always looking amazed whenever a "new" clue is discovered. This island has been investigated for centuries and there are no new clues.)

And now they have even tried to find a link between Oak Island and President FDR!

Why on earth do I tune in every week, and then curse myself for the next hour?

The past does not influence me; I influence the past!
Sponsored Links

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary
Hoary Ol' Chestnut... doncha know....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2017 at 9:58pm
WinkIn a small I agree with you, but in more ways, I disagree. But yes, I've taken the first step and admitted I'm a CoOI-fan, too. I know I'll never get those hours of my life back, but I will accept that and move on while not missing an episode - for such a small piece of earth, Oak Island has such a rich history. As long as I pick up one new piece of information - learn one new thing - then the time was well-spent. I always pick up AT LEAST one tidbit of knowledge with each episode.

When we look back into history - even if only a few hundred years, we know far less than we could imagine. Oak Island? Historically, it shows up on the radar a few times and you have to admit, they HAVE found a few things there.

Whenever they finish off with Oak Island, I'd like to see an extended special on ancient copper mining at Isle Royale, and actually, all around the Great Lakes of America. 7000+ years and billions of pounds of copper later...wellllllllllll...where'd it go, fer chrissakes? WHO were those indigenous American primates dealing with? THIS is an immensely interesting story from a time when the Great Lakes were lower, the world was different, and Michigan was still great.

X               <sig.nature>
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Theoted View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Theoted Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 10:33pm
I read about this island in the 1960s in Reader's Digest!  I was intrigued then and remain so (but I don't like it being portrayed as reality TV.) I would probably like to see Nat GEO tackle the subject.
The past does not influence me; I influence the past!
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 11:43pm
Indeed.
Everyone heard about or read about Oak Island in their youth...and promptly forgot about it until this point in life. We start with dreams from great stories...and after a full life, we get back to chasing those dreams.
As far as 'Reality TV', I don't mind it so much because they are very careful and calculated in what they do (from all I can observe). The selfish truth is really no more than I am impatient and I want to see something major found,  but then again, it is important to stay grounded as if they DO find something, it will be world-wide news before the episode even airs - remember when Mel Fisher found the Atocha?
I don't know about you, but for me, it was pretty magical for a bit, just as it will be should they uncover Oak Island's secret and it sure would be great for another one of those moments.
"What we do for ourselves dies with us, What we do for others is and remains immortal." - Albert Pike
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2017 at 11:28pm
This is one of the worst programmes I have ever seen on TV. It sort of reminds me of the special that Geraldo Rivera once did when he was going to uncover the secret's of the hidden Al Capone vault (which was empty!).
I watched an Oak Island episode one night when they found an old ring. The chap picked it up and said, "I think this is a ring?". I almost put my foot through the telly!
One man gathers what another man spills
ILUVTOMH77 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILUVTOMH77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 7:39pm
Oak Island is a complete snooze fest..........
ILUVTOMH77 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ILUVTOMH77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2017 at 7:42pm
LOL!  Ok, now I have a picture in my head of you kicking your foot into the TV. LOL
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 3:13pm
Now The History Channel is into another season of these hacks trying to uncover "buried treasure" in the "money pit".
Give me a bloody break!
In the UK there is a comedy programme called The Detectorists , which seems to find more articles than the Lagina brothers on the sh*te show!
The one Lagina brother looks like a younger Dustin Hoffman, and the other has that annoying white goatee and moustache. They both act like they know something that they aren't revealing....they annoy the hell out of me!  

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 3:40pm
We've been getting a British "comedy" around here for the past few weeks, that's called "People Like Us".

It's supposed to be a sort of "mockumentary" in which a TV interviewer and cameraman, follow people from various professions around during a normal day. And of course, everything is completely dysfunctional.

I like subtle humor, but I just don't get this show. It goes so far beyond subtle that it puts me to sleep. I guess you have to be British to get the oblique, offhand references or something.

But this Oak Island show seems like it might be a source of new material for this PLU show I'm describing, to mine.

Send the "crew" out to a similar looking place along the coast of England somewhere and call the show they're doing the PLU episode about... "The Hex of Elm Island".

Or maybe use some other tree with a funnier sounding name.

...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 4:13pm
I just looked up a list of the articles they found on Oak Island. Some of the stuff was fake (like the "Roman Empire sword" which was revealed as a reproduction from the 20th century.)
They've also found cat bones, and a couple of old buttons, a washer and a hex nut! Wow! The History Channel is investing tons of money into this farce, and those Lagina brothers are acting as though they are on the verge of uncovering several millions of £'s of gold, money, jewellery, religious artefacts, and even some of Shakespeare's notes! 
I HATE THIS SHOW!
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

We've been getting a British "comedy" around here for the past few weeks, that's called "People Like Us".

It's supposed to be a sort of "mockumentary" in which a TV interviewer and cameraman, follow people from various professions around during a normal day. And of course, everything is completely dysfunctional.

I like subtle humor, but I just don't get this show. It goes so far beyond subtle that it puts me to sleep. I guess you have to be British to get the oblique, offhand references or something.

But this Oak Island show seems like it might be a source of new material for this PLU show I'm describing, to mine.

Send the "crew" out to a similar looking place along the coast of England somewhere and call the show they're doing the PLU episode about... "The Hex of Elm Island".

Or maybe use some other tree with a funnier sounding name.

People Like Us is a sarcastic stab at reality television programmes. It's not for everyone, but it is pretty cool. Reality TV needs to be ridiculed!

Jimbo View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote:

People Like Us is a sarcastic stab at reality television programmes. It's not for everyone, but it is pretty cool. Reality TV needs to be ridiculed!

I try to watch it, but the whole tone of the show is so low key and the humor is so finely pointed, it's difficult to follow. Especially as an American trying to figure out the British colloquialisms spoken in the heavy accent.

Plus, the narrator has a tendency to almost whisper a lot. Like watching golf on TV.

Very difficult to stay interested.
...the ads take aim and lay their claim to the heart and the soul of the spender
Jackson Browne - The Pretender

C'mon, man!
Joe Biden - 46th President of the United States
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 5:28pm
Nice to see the opinions of others.
I suspect some folk choose not to study history or never have asked questions. Like the Lagina Brothers, I also have heard tales of Oak Island since I was a child, so I would like to see them find something (which they have). They're using their own money and documenting as they go...and they're not hurting anybody. much less influencing anyone in a negative manner.
No 'GangstaCakes' here.

For the naysayers, no - you don't need to like the show and so be it, but don't be so quick to point out the fallacies while skimming over years of history and what has been found, even in the settlement areas.   

So what's NEXT for the History Channel? Anyone else wondering what that new 100-foot void/chamber they just found in the Great Pyramid is supposed to be about?Wink

Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by PaWolf PaWolf wrote:

I suspect some folk choose not to study history or never have asked questions. Like the Lagina Brothers, I also have heard tales of Oak Island since I was a child, so I would like to see them find something (which they have). They're using their own money and documenting as they go...and they're not hurting anybody. much less influencing anyone in a negative manner.
No 'GangstaCakes' here.

For the naysayers, no - you don't need to like the show and so be it, but don't be so quick to point out the fallacies while skimming over years of history and what has been found, even in the settlement areas.   

So what's NEXT for the History Channel? Anyone else wondering what that new 100-foot void/chamber they just found in the Great Pyramid is supposed to be about?Wink

Sorry if I wrote it off, but it's just not my cuupa tea, Pa. 
btw, what are you referring to with the "gangstacakes" reference?
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:03pm

No 'GangstaCakes' here.

History Channel recently had a series about America's war on drugs which was about as interesting as watching yesterday's news today. 'Gangstacakes'.
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:01pm

No 'GangstaCakes' here.

History Channel recently had a series about America's war on drugs which was about as interesting as watching yesterday's news today. 'Gangstacakes'.

Oh I hated that series about the War On Drugs. It lasted way too long, and they over hyped it to the nth degree!
MrTim View Drop Down
Ad Exec
Ad Exec

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrTim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 4:22am
I've got the show in my Netflix queue.  While I would like to go dig up the OIT, there's about a Billion $ worth buried under FL beaches that's a lot easier to reach (talking like 400+ years of shipwrecks along the coast.)  Just have to finish building my metal detector first...  Wink Big smile
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 6:43am
Oh absolutely, MrT. Going to build a high-powered monster and attach it to the front of a 4x4? Can't miss, eh?WinkBig smile  With Oak Island of course, I believe it is the mystery of WHAT is really down there...if anything. *I* want to believe there is something just like I want to believe there is an incredible story about the ancient copper mining in the Great Lakes area, but I don't want to look like Scott Wolter (who did an episode of 'America Unearthed' about the same topic). I like his enthusiasm, but he sure seems like the kind of guy you can set up over and over again..
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 1:37am
The History Channel has a new show coming up about the Zodiac Killer - a spooky serial killer who was never caught. Should be interesting. He should be a little older than, oh..say, Thor?ConfusedWink Wait! Thor LIVED in this dude's neck of the woods!
That's not what this is about - this is about the NEW SEASON of 'The Curse Of Oak Island', which starts in 32 minutes. From all I am reading - all the pent-up anticipation by the public - I would suggest they find a little more treasure, or at least a body down there, even if they have to drop one down there themselves. People are about to pop, doncha know - and you DO know how unpredictable people can be when they're close to losing it...they may just find who their fans really are. Who knows, they might even meet their #1 Fan - the Zodiac Killer...ConfusedLOLWink
Jimmy View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 4:28am
I dunno, I'm looking forward to seeing their new programme named Knighthood. They have a great cast for that series, and the subject matter is intriguing to me....the Knights Templar.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:59am

The History Channel has a new show coming up about the Zodiac Killer - a spooky serial killer who was never caught. Should be interesting. He should be a little older than, oh..say, Thor?ConfusedWink Wait! Thor LIVED in this dude's neck of the woods!

It's possible I knew him.  I talked here about it a few years ago.

But no, if this guy I knew was the Zodiac Killer, he'd be 81 or so.  He died in 2004.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:29am

I dunno, I'm looking forward to seeing their new programme named Knighthood. They have a great cast for that series, and the subject matter is intriguing to me....the Knights Templar.
WinkI'll be watching it also, sir.
What a wonderful topic, The Knights Templar.
The invention of Banking.
Strong forces invading and controlling foreign countries in the name of Jesus.
Catholic Corruption.
Amazing fortunes, treasures, and religious artifacts disappearing forever, only to show up in Nova Scotia, or under a tree in Wisconsin.
Lying, thieving long-haired heads of state that will execute the innocent and accuse good men of being little more than devil worshipers and secretive fags.
Shure sounds a lot like today.
But I'm going to watch it too, Chef.
PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Thor Thor wrote:

It's possible I knew him.  I talked here about it a few years ago.

But no, if this guy I knew was the Zodiac Killer, he'd be 81 or so.  He died in 2004.

I read something about some obscure weirdo who died in some residential neighborhood about then. A normal joe who had a family convinced HE was The Zodiac Killer. Had a house like yours and maybe a few cats named Tinker and Belle. He was a pretty big boy and they did some small documentary on him, too (I'm dead serious about this).
Yea, you prolly knew him.
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 8:48pm
Not sure what you're talking about, Pa.

PaWolf View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2017 at 12:10am
You would have had to see the documentary on PBS. They had photos and everything of the late gent who had the suspicious family. Big boy who lived in middle-class San Fruitcisco.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic