Please help the CIH Forums by disabling AdBlock Plus on this page.
Forum Home Forum Home :: Commercials You Hate! :: Television / Streaming Ads
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xfinity - Grandma's House

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xfinity - Grandma's House
    Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 4:13pm

The "on my way to the Gates of Hell, Grandma's house" Xfinity commercial, that was played over and over before Thanksgiving, is one of the most appalling ads I've seen, on so many levels.

It's SO disrespectful toward the grandparents! Everytime it comes on, I say to my wife, "If I were in the place of those grandparents, I would tell those people they're not welcome in my home and they're never to come here again."

I just can't get over an ad that shames the GRANDPARENTS, when their grandchildren equate visiting them with "entering the Gates of Hell," because when they get there, they will not be able to IGNORE their grandparents, and play their video games. How SICK is that?

Do they really think the grandparents viewing the ad will rush out and spend the money it will take to ensure that the ONE time a year they are visited by their grandchildren, their grandchildren will ignore them?

It reminded me of the Clint Eastwood movie "Gran Torino" and the scene at his home following his wife's funeral - the granddaughter is completely disinterested in the post-funeral events, fools with her cell phone the entire time, and asks Eastwood to his face if she can have his car when he dies. Ugh!

Both are very offensive.  Angry

Sponsored Links

Cranedy Pouth View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cranedy Pouth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 5:33pm
Man, I LOVED going to my grandparents'(biological grandma and stepgrandfather) house as a child! Unfortunately, my grandma died in 1997 when I was 12. My stepgrandfather wanted nothing to do with his stepdaughter or me shortly after she died. Mom said he was not a good person when my grandma was still alive and I thought she was just bitter and jaded as he was nice to me(Her biological dad, my biological grandpa died when she was a teenager so I could see why she came off as resentful).

Him washing his hands of us soon after my grandma's death proves mom was right, especially because he told us he would be there for us if we needed anything only to ignore us! You don't ignore your stepdaughter and stepgrandson just because your wife died! Bastard! Especially after you promised to be there if they needed anything, and. especially when your stepdaughter now has no biological dad or mom! And your stepgrandson is a 12 year old kid who just lost his grandma!
Using nuclear weapons on problem people is not the answer, you psychopath!

Also, Keith Richards is a damn cockroach outliving everybody! LOL
Tully Blanchard View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tully Blanchard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 5:44pm
The grandpa in the ad seems a little "touched in the head", evident when he recites the line from Home Alone
Ad nauseous View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ad nauseous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 6:32pm
Back in the 90s (yeah I know) I used to love going to my grandparents house! They had basic cable but that didn't bother me! I got to see shows like Hunter, In The Heat Of The Night, Freakazoid, Animainiacs, The Pinky And The Brain, Tiny Toons, The A-Team, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and others! Also I did things besides the TV like drawing, playing with my city of blocks and other things. Sadly my grandma suffered from Alzheimer's and died in January of 2003, and grandpa died in May of 2005.
One good thing about TV-you could always turn it off
aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 6:45pm
Well said, Number6, and welcome to the forum.

We ARE grandparents in our late 50s. We have smart phones, a PC, a laptop and several Kindles.
We have a wireless router. And yes! They should NOT portray a visit to Grandma's as passing through the gates of hell. Angry  Can't kids these days do anything they want on their phone (mobile device) anyway?

More thoughts on this topic...

Number6 View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Number6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 7:05pm
Thank you for the welcome!  I appreciate it!
Thor View Drop Down
Revolutionary
Revolutionary

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Number6 Number6 wrote:

It reminded me of the Clint Eastwood movie "Gran Torino" and the scene at his home following his wife's funeral - the granddaughter is completely disinterested in the post-funeral events, fools with her cell phone the entire time, and asks Eastwood to his face if she can have his car when he dies. Ugh!

Excellent reference!

aka ron View Drop Down
Honor Roll
Honor Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote aka ron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 8:57pm
^ I love that movie!

ThatNerdInPhilly View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThatNerdInPhilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Number6 Number6 wrote:

The "on my way to the Gates of Hell, Grandma's house" Xfinity commercial, that was played over and over before Thanksgiving, is one of the most appalling ads I've seen, on so many levels.

It's SO disrespectful toward the grandparents! Everytime it comes on, I say to my wife, "If I were in the place of those grandparents, I would tell those people they're not welcome in my home and they're never to come here again."

I just can't get over an ad that shames the GRANDPARENTS, when their grandchildren equate visiting them with "entering the Gates of Hell," because when they get there, they will not be able to IGNORE their grandparents, and play their video games. How SICK is that?

Do they really think the grandparents viewing the ad will rush out and spend the money it will take to ensure that the ONE time a year they are visited by their grandchildren, their grandchildren will ignore them?

Both are very offensive.  Angry

You nailed it right on the head!! 

NJtoTX View Drop Down
Junior Executive
Junior Executive

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJtoTX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Tully Blanchard Tully Blanchard wrote:

The grandpa in the ad seems a little "touched in the head", evident when he recites the line from Home Alone
I had no idea that was a quote. Thought it was just a wacky line yelled into the TV while Home Alone was on. 

And who is the guy? She says she's going to "grandma's." Though apparently he's grandpa (he's in the photo of her as a kid) he's a nonperson until he saves the day by making them instantly cool and modern and technically competent.  
Cat Fud View Drop Down
Commercial Hater
Commercial Hater

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cat Fud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by NJtoTX NJtoTX wrote:

Originally posted by Tully Blanchard Tully Blanchard wrote:

I had no idea that was a quote. Thought it was just a wacky line yelled into the TV while Home Alone was on. 

And who is the guy? She says she's going to "grandma's." Though apparently he's grandpa (he's in the photo of her as a kid) he's a nonperson until he saves the day by making them instantly cool and modern and technically competent.  

These days the old dude is probably Grandma's live-in!

Damn disrespectful granddaughter. And at least that Grandma has her own home and money to buy things like cable TV and wifi. My grandmother never drove a car and lived six months of the year at our house in California and the other six months with my aunt and uncle on the east coast. Although I loved having her with us, she would surely have preferred a home of her own.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic